Subject: [IPFIX] new IPFIX information elements for names

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 12:10:57 +0000

Dear IPFIX experts,

I'd like to propose some new IPFIX Information Elements to export name 
strings corresponding to existing IE IDs:

     meteringProcessId -> meteringProcessName
     templateId -> templateName
     exportingProcessId -> exportingProcessName
     observationPointId -> observationPointName

Our immediate need is only for meteringProcessName, and we've been asked 
for the templateName to help identify the template's purpose.

Quickly checking other export IDs, "exportingProcessName" and 
"observationPointName" seem obvious inclusions which could be included 
in the infomodel if you think they would be useful - though we've no 
immediate plans / need for these.

I'll send the request to IANA subject to your feedback.

Thanks,
P.

PS of course the ideal way to implement this would be a "name" field 
attribute, using the EFSF described in the mib-variable-export draft. 
However, that's a ways away...

---

From: Andrew Feren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:02:35 -0500

Yes, please.

Two thumbs up for templateName.  As for the others, having a name to 
associate with any ID is a request I hear often.

-Andrew

On 03/08/2013 07:10 AM, Paul Aitken wrote:
> Our immediate need is only for meteringProcessName, and we've been 
> asked for the templateName to help identify the template's purpose.
>
> _______________________________________________
> IPFIX mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix