Subject: [IPFIX] Editorial change to RFC5102bis

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 09:44:44 +1300

Greetings, all, 

During discussions concerning requests for changes to existing Information Elements from consistency on the ie-doctors list, Paul Aitken noted that the definition of "octetArray" (3.1.13) refers to "strings" of octets and the definition of string (3.1.14) refers to "strings" of characters. This could be read as confusingly circular; the correct terminology would would be "sequences".

This seems like an editorial change to me, and as the document is still in the RFC Editor queue, I'd like to send an RFC Editor note up with the following change for clarity:

OLD:

3.1.13.  octetArray

   The type "octetArray" represents a finite-length string of octets.

3.1.14.  string

   The type "string" represents a finite-length string of valid 
   characters from the Unicode coded character set [ISO.10646]. 

NEW:

3.1.13.  octetArray

   The type "octetArray" represents a finite-length sequence of octets.

3.1.14.  string

   The type "string" represents a finite-length sequence of valid 
   characters from the Unicode coded character set [ISO.10646]. 

Comments? What's the correct procedure for this?

Thanks, best regards,

Brian