Subject: (mobile-ip) New Mobile IPv6 Internet-Draft submitted

From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 17:01:04 -0500

I have submitted a new version of the Mobile IPv6 Internet-Draft for
publication before the Washington, DC IETF meeting.  This will be
draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-04.txt.  This version cleans up a number of
important things here and there in both the protocol and its
presentation.  The major differences between this version and the
previous version include:

    -  Added a statement of some non-goals of the protocol in Section 1.

    -  Added definition for "home link" and "home subnet prefix",
       replacing the old term "home subnet".  The new terms "foreign
       link" and "foreign subnet prefix" likewise replace the old term
       "foreign subnet".  This change is more in line with current IPv6
       terminology.

    -  Moved the "Comparison with Mobile IP for IPv4" section (now
       Section 2) to earlier in the document to allow those familiar
       with Mobile IPv4 to quickly see the major differences.

    -  Added specific language in Section overview listing the fields
       conceptually present in each Binding Cache entry and in each
       Binding Update List entry.

    -  Changed the Option Type values for the Binding Acknowledgement
       and Binding Request options such that they now indicate that the
       option should be ignored if not recognized, rather than returning
       an ICMP error message as they were previously defined.

    -  Increased the Lifetime field in a Binding Update from 16 bits
       to 32 bits, to allow consistency with other lifetime values
       used in IPv6 (e.g., the lifetime of a subnet prefix in Neighbor
       Discovery [11]).  Similarly increased the Lifetime and Refresh
       fields in the Binding Acknowledgement from 16 bits to 32 bits.

    -  Replaced the Home Link-Local Address Present (L) bit and the
       Home Link-Local Address field in the Binding Update with a new
       mechanism implemented by the ID Length field in the Binding
       Update.  By specifying the length of the interface identifier in
       its home address in this field, the mobile node can request its
       home agent to essentially fully participate in Neighbor Discovery
       on the home link as a proxy for the mobile node, while the mobile
       node is away from home.

    -  Clarified that packets addressed to a mobile node's link-local
       address or site-local address are not forwarded to the mobile
       node while away from home.  When intercepted by the mobile node's
       home agent, such packets now cause the home agent to return an
       ICMP Destination Unreachable, Code 3, message to the packet's
       Source Address (unless this Source Address is a multicast
       address).  As the use of link-local addresses or site-local
       addresses evolves over time in IPv6, this disposition of such
       packets may need to change, however.

    -  Added a discussion of sending Binding Requests in Section 7.6,
       and added a discussion of receiving Binding Requests in
       Section 9.11.

    -  Change the requirement for sending a Binding Update to a mobile
       node's previous default router in Section 9.6 from "SHOULD" to
       "MAY".

    -  Added Section 12 on "IANA Considerations".

    -  Replaced the description of specification language keywords,
       "MUST", "MAY", "SHOULD", etc., in Section 3.3 with the new
       standard reference to RFC 2119.

    -  Updated the References to point to the most recent version of
       each cited RFC or Internet-Draft.

I have also put a copy of this draft on my ftp server, so you can get
it before it works its way through to the official directories.  The
new version of the draft is available at

        ftp://ftp.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/pub/internet-drafts/
            draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-04.txt

Comments on this draft should be sent to the Mobile IP mailing list
at [email-masked].  We will be discussing this draft during
IETF at the Mobile IP working group meeting on Monday evening,
December 8, 7:30-10:00 pm.

					Dave
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]