Subject: Protocol Action: IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 17:30:48 -0400

The IESG has approved the following

 o IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture
   <draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v2-07.txt> for publication as a Proposed
   Standard.

   Note: This document is a replacement for RFC1884, which will be
	 reclassified as Historic.

 o  An IPv6 Aggregatable Global Unicast Address Format
    <draft-ietf-ipngwg-unicast-aggr-05.txt> for publication as a Proposed
    Standard.

    Note: This document is a replacement for RFC2073, which will be
	 reclassified as Historic.

These documents are the product of the IPNG Working Group.  The IESG
contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
  The document "IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture" specification
  defines the addressing architecture of the IP Version 6 protocol. This
  document includes the IPv6 addressing model, text representations of
  IPv6 addresses (which are 128 bits in length) , definition of IPv6
  unicast addresses, anycast addresses, and multicast addresses, and an
  IPv6 node's required addresses. This document is intended to replace
  RFC 1884 which will become historic.

  The document "An IPv6 Aggregatable Global Unicast Address Format"
  defines an IPv6 aggregatable global unicast address format for use in
  the Internet.  The address format defined in this document is
  consistent with the IPv6 Protocol and the IPv6 Addressing Architecture
  (mentioned above) and is designed to facilitate scalable Internet
  routing. This documented is intended to replaces RFC 2073, "An
  IPv6 Provider-Based Unicast Address Format" which will become
  historic.

  This document is viewed as an improvement over RFC 2073; major changes
  include removal of the registry bits because they are not needed for
  route aggregation, support of EUI-64 based interface identifiers,
  support of provider and exchange based aggregation, separation of
  public and site topology, and new aggregation based terminology.

Working Group Summary

  These two documents have been the topic of much discussion and
  consideration, both within the working group and among the IANA and
  registries. Specifically, the Aggregatable Global Unicast Address
  Format document has been the subject of detailed discussions for well
  over a year in an attempt to come up with an address format which has
  the support of many in the Internet community, including the ISPs. In
  addition, the policies for how TLAs (the top-level prefixes) are
  assigned to ISPs have been moved to a separate document in order to
  clearly separate the technical issues from the operational aspects of
  how the IANA and the registries manage address space.

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed by Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten
  of the IESG.