Subject: (mobile-ip) New version of Mobile IPv6 draft submitted

From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 13:31:55 -0400

Yesterday, I submitted a new version of the Internet-Draft "Mobility
Support in IPv6" documenting Mobile IP for IPv6.  This version is now
basically the final version and is expected to go to "Last Call" soon.
This draft will be discussed at the Mobile IP working group meeting
in Chicago, Monday morning, 9:30-11:30.

The official announcement for the draft is working its way through
the system, but for those who would like a copy of the draft now, it
is available from my ftp server at

        ftp://ftp.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/pub/internet-drafts/
            draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-06.txt

I have also appended below a summary of the major changes in the
draft relative to the previous version of it.

We would particularly like to get comments on the draft from those in
both the Mobile IP working group and the IPng working group, either
by email and/or at the meeting.

See you all in Chicago...

					Dave

--
David B. Johnson                         [email-masked]
Assistant Professor                      http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dbj/
Computer Science Department              http://www.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/
Carnegie Mellon University               Phone: (412) 268-7399
5000 Forbes Avenue                       Fax: (412) 268-5576
Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3891

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    -  Clarified that the Advertisement Interval option in Section 6.3
       MAY be included in Router Advertisements by any router, not just
       by home agents.

    -  Modified Section 6.5 to document a required change to the
       MaxRtrAdvInterval limit, in addition to the change to the
       MinRtrAdvInterval limit, and clarified that these new limits MAY
       be used by any router, not just by home agents.

    -  Added Section 6.6 to document new limits on sending Router
       Solicitations by a mobile node while away from home.  These
       changes are related to the MAX_RTR_SOLICITATIONS and
       RTR_SOLICITATION_INTERVAL Neighbor Discovery constants.

    -  Added Section 6.2 documenting a modification to the format of
       a Prefix Information option for use in Router Advertisement
       messages.  This modification allows a router to easily and
       efficiently advertise its own global unicast address.

    -  Defined a new Home Agent Information Option for Router
       Advertisements (Section 6.4).  This option allows those routers
       functioning as a home agent to optionally specify a preference
       (relative to other home agents on this link) and a lifetime for
       this advertisement for providing home agent service.  Use of this
       option by home agents is optional.

    -  Added Section 10.2, defining the general procedures to be used
       by a mobile node in receiving packets while away from home.  In
       particular, for packets received with a Routing header, this
       section defines an exception for any use of a Routing header
       automatically derived by "reversing" the received Routing header,
       for any response packets sent by upper-layer protocols.

    -  Changed the treatment of packets addressed to a mobile node's
       site-local address while the mobile node is away from home.  The
       current consensus of the Mobile IP Working Group is that such
       packets SHOULD be tunneled to the mobile node by default, but
       this behavior MUST be configurable to disable it; currently,
       the exact definition and semantics of a "site" and a site-local
       address are undefined in IPv6, and this default behavior might
       change at some point in the future.

    -  Added a definition of the treatment of multicast packets
       addressed to a multicast group to which a mobile node is
       subscribed, for which the multicast scope is link-local,
       site-local, organization-local, etc.  As with packets sent to a
       mobile node's link-local and site-local addresses, link-local
       multicast packets MUST NOT be tunneled to the mobile node, and
       multicast packets addressed to a multicast address with scope
       larger than link-local but smaller than global (e.g., site-local
       and organization-local) SHOULD be tunneled to the mobile node by
       default, but this behavior MUST be configurable to disable it.

    -  Added Section 7.2, detailing Mobile IP requirements on all IPv6
       routers.  They SHOULD be able to send an Advertisement Interval
       option in their Router Advertisements, and SHOULD be able to
       support sending unsolicited multicast Router Advertisements at
       the faster rate described in Section 6.5.

    -  Added Section 10.14 describing the mobile node side of
       renumbering the home network, matching the home agent processing
       described in Section 9.7.

    -  Simplified the sequence of tests in Section 9.4 performed by a
       home agent being requested to no longer serve as the sending
       mobile node's home agent.

    -  Clarified in Section 10.5 that if a mobile node has multiple home
       addresses using different interface identifiers, then it SHOULD
       send a separate Binding Update to its home agent for each.

    -  Finally filled in Section 2, giving a comparison of Mobile IPv6
       with Mobile IP for IPv4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]