Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-namelookups-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 09:38:18 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPNG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IPv6 Name Lookups Through ICMP
	Author(s)	: M. Crawford
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-namelookups-02.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 10-Mar-98
	
    IPv4 addresses are translated to fully-qualified domain names
    (FQDNs) using the DNS.  Experience shows that the IN-ADDR.ARPA zones
    used for this translation tend to be poorly maintained in some
    cases.  In a larger internet with more frequent site renumbering,
    the maintenance of such zones will be even more difficult.
 
    This document describes an experimental protocol for simply asking
    an IPv6 node to supply its FQDN when needed.  The DNS style of
    authority delegation is thus eliminated for IPv6 address-to-name
    translations and the routing infrastructure plays that role.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-namelookups-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-namelookups-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-namelookups-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.