Subject: (IPng 6566) Source route question

From: Craig Metz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 00:54:47 -0300

Sort of a nit, but in this block:

         if Address [i] or the IPv6 Destination Address is multicast {
            discard the packet
         }
         else {
            swap the IPv6 Destination Address and Address[i]

            if the IPv6 Hop Limit is less than or equal to 1 {
               send an ICMP Time Exceeded -- Hop Limit Exceeded in
               Transit message to the Source Address and discard the
               packet
            }
            else {
               decrement the Hop Limit by 1

               resubmit the packet to the IPv6 module for transmission
               to the new destination
            }
         }

  Why is the swap located there instead of after the hop limit decrement? It
seems to be a wasted step, but does affect the contents of the ICMP error.

								-Craig
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------