Subject: (IPng 6565) RE: addr parsing problems

From: [email-masked] (Carl Williams)
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:45:25 -0700

Since the textual representation of an IPv6 address is specified
with ":" (colon) characters, a new syntax using "[" and "]"
characters is introduced to handle the parsing of the ":"
character so as to distinquish the ":" that makeups the IPv6
address from the ":" that seperates the literal IPv6 address
from the path:

Example for "rcp" command:

rcp [2::9255:a00:20ff:fe78:f37c]:/home/carlw/foo.doc /tmp/foo.doc

For URL's this issue was also raised at IETF-DC.  It was proposed
that the "[" and "]" characters also be used with literal addresses
specified in the URL.

If anyone is doing anything different, I would like to hear from them.

Carl

----- Begin Included Message -----

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 11:21:00 +0200

>rcp [2::9255:a00:20ff:fe78:f37c]:/home/carlw/foo.doc /tmp/foo.doc

On what system is this problem-free?
For Unix (bash, csh) it requires quoting the whole argument, since [] are
shell metacharacters.

The off-again, on-again discussions in the URL-related working groups
has generally died down without anyone finding any alternative to

http://2%3D%3D9255%3Da00%3D....../ (hex-quoting the colons).

For mail, the DRUMS WG has also failed to converge on a solution,
I believe.

                   Harald A

-- 
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------