Subject: (IPng 6619) Re: fragmentation reassembly

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 17:39:48 -0700

> However, another interesting case regarding fragmentation 
> involves mobile
> IP. Since a mobile node's address changes as it moves about, 
> if the change
> of address occurs while sending fragmented packets, the 
> source address of
> some of the packets would be different from other packets, and
> reconstruction would break. Note that mobile IP defines a Home Address
> destination option, but technically this is part of the 
> fragmentable part
> of the original packet. I suppose that a sender could place the home
> address option in the unfragmentable part of the packet, but 
> I don't think
> this is what the mobile IP authors intended. 

I haven't read the mobility spec, but surely fragment reassembly should
always be based on the source address in the IPv6 header? It would be up to
the mobile node to send fragments with a consistent source address. This
does not sound like a difficult requirement.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------