Subject: (IPng 6652) I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipngwg-bsd-api-new-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:43:54 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPNG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Basic Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6
	Author(s)	: R. Gilligan, S. Thomson, J. Bound, W. Stevens
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-bsd-api-new-03.txt
	Pages		: 33
	Date		: 19-Oct-98
	
The de facto standard application program interface (API) for TCP/IP
applications is the 'sockets' interface.  Although this API was
developed for Unix in the early 1980s it has also been implemented on a
wide variety of non-Unix systems.  TCP/IP applications written using the
sockets API have in the past enjoyed a high degree of portability and we
would like the same portability with IPv6 applications.  But changes are
required to the sockets API to support IPv6 and this memo describes
these changes.  These include a new socket address structure to carry
IPv6 addresses, new address conversion functions, and some new socket
options.  These extensions are designed to provide access to the basic
IPv6 features required by TCP and UDP applications, including
multicasting, while introducing a minimum of change into the system and
providing complete compatibility for existing IPv4 applications.
Additional extensions for advanced IPv6 features (raw sockets and access
to the IPv6 extension headers) are defined in another document [4].

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipngwg-bsd-api-new-03.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-bsd-api-new-03.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-bsd-api-new-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.