Subject: (IPng 6562) KAME 980930 stable release

From: Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 13:40:14 +0900

We are happy to inform you the stable release of KAME 980930. The kits
are available from:
	http://www.kame.net/

Summary of the differences from the previous release is enclosed
below.

Enjoy!

--Kazu, KAME Project

---from here
Here is summary of differences between KAME stable 980731 and 980930.

<<IPv4>>

- Added our home-brew NAT code, called "SuMiRe".  (FreeBSD/BSDI only)
  NOTE: Since it lacks documentations at this moment, we don't recommend
  you to try this right now.

<<IPv6>>

- Supported router alert option to some extent.
- Supported multicast listener discovery to some extent(host side).
- Improved the management code for information obtained from router
  advertisements.
- rtsold: router solicitation daemon, for interface management on endhosts.
- Router renumbering support is ongoing. (is not working right now).
- Number of multicast groups per socket is now unlimited; it was limited to
  20 in the previous stable release.
- Added a new mechanism to manage prefixes advertised by router advertisements
  for mobile stations.
- IPv6 version of multicast kludge; unicast addresses can be safely deleted
  from an interface even if there is a multicast group on the interface.
- More conformance to Neighbor Discovery specification, especially about
  processing router advertisements(see CHANGELOG).
- IPV6_{ADD,DROP}_MEMBERSHIP is renamed to IPV6_{JOIN,LEAVE}_MEMBERSHIP.
  NOTE: latest revision of bsd-api-new-02, called "02a", renamed this again
  into IPV6_{JOIN,LEAVE}_GROUP.  This kit uses definition based on "old 02".
- ICMP Redirects to on-link destinations, that is, not to better routers.
- ICMP error rate limitation.

<<IPv6 API>>

- "struct sockaddr_in6" was changed again to conform to
  draft-ietf-ipngwg-bsd-api-new-02 spec.  sin6_ifindex member was
  removed, and struct members were reordered.
  NOTE: ALL THE USERLAND TOOLS MUST BE RECOMPILED.
- Some library functions, inet6_option_XXX, are newly implemented,
  which are defined in RFC 2292(advanced sockets API).

<<IPsec>>

- "racoon" IKE daemon is now working in limited situations.
- Proper source IPv4 address will be used for outer IPv4 header of
  IPv4 IPsec tunnel.  Now you can configure VPN network with KAME routers.
- Key management code is improved.

<<Userland>>

- EPRT/EPSV support for ftp/ftpd. (rfc2428)
- getnodeby{addr,name} has renamed to getipnodeby{addr,name} to conform
  to draft-ietf-ipngwg-bsd-api-new-02 spec.
- Bunch of updates/additions in IPv6-ready ports collection (FreeBSD kit only).
- Some of IPv6 enable patches are now distributed separately from FreeBSD
  ports directory, so that BSDI/NetBSD users can enjoy those patches.
  Please check ftp://ftp.kame.net/pub/kame/misc/.

<<Others>>

- For BSDI, ATM driver based on ALTQ kit has been merged into the kernel.
  ATM userland tools must be grabbed from ALTQ kit.
  visit ftp://ftp.csl.sony.co.jp/pub/kjc/.
- Synchronized some of the kernel source code among three operating systems
  we support (FreeBSD/BSDI/NetBSD), to ease maintainance.
---to here
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------