Subject: (IPng 6578) Mapping global addresses to link-local addresses

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 09:38:26 -0400

All,
     While in the process of working on the PIM for IPv6 spec, we
came across a problem concerning the mapping of a global address to
a linkk-local address.  Consider the scenario :

     Rtr A  -----  Rtr B -----  Host 1

Host 1 sends a PIM-SM join message destined for Rtr A.  Our draft
specifies that protocol messages use link-local addresses, so Host 1
addresses the packet to Rtr B's link-local address since it it the
next upstream PIM router.  Now Rtr B has the message and needs to
address it to Rtr A.  The problem is that Rtr B does not have Rtr A's
link-local address since it is a direct route.  

The issue is how can Rtr B find out what Rtr A's link-local address
is given a global IPv6 address assigned to A?  This has been an
on-again/off-again discussion on this list since Munich.  Has anyone
tried to address this problem?

Thanks,
Brian Haberman
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------