Subject: (IPng 6668) Re: Base API Edit Question on error_num

From: Mukesh Kacker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:00:32 -0700 (PDT)

> 
> On getXXinfo parts.  This is a POSIX reference and we (the IETF IPng WG)
> don't own it and can't change it, us changing it would be like the IEEE
> 1394 folks changing our IP over Foo specs to suite that standard. It
> stands as it is per the reference. 
> 

As far as I am aware getaddrinfo() is a POSIX reference.
getnameinfo() is not and appears in RFC2133 but is likely to be adopted
by POSIX/XNET and I just pointed out its lack of error codes as a side issue
in error space discussions.

> We have limititations here for this work it will not solve all problems,

I agree.
I am NOT suggesting we make ANY changes at this stage.
The worse case consequence is that under bug scenarios, appplications
will not get a very specific error message from getnameinfo() which is
good enough for now. I just mentioned it as something similar to error
code discussions which MAY get attention in any further work at
POSIX/XNET etc. I agree we should not attempt any more refinements into
that and what we have now will do. It should not matter for normal correctly
functioning application.

-Mukesh Kacker
 Internet Engineering
 Sun Microsystems Inc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------