Subject: (IPng 6626) Re: TCP6 to anycast address

From: "Raghu V.V.J Vadapalli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:41:43 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,
I was reading this draft and I have one quick question.

I am not able to understand how the solution proposed in this 
draft is going to solve problem from the user's view. 
User is always hidden from the fact that the IP address he is 
trying to reach is any cast address. So he will try to establish 
connection again. So there will be lot of ICMP error messages.

The possible solution can be after getting ICMP error message for 
X no. of times update ur local ANYCAST address cache.

Please correct me If I am wrong.

Thanks in advance 
-Raghu.
==
------------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:33:07 +0900

>X no. of times update ur local ANYCAST address cache.

	I believe that hosts should NOT distinguish anycast addresses
	from (non-anycast) unicast addresses.  So I did not take "anycast
	cache" approach.  I think only routers (which have anycast address
	on their interfaces) should perform something special about tcp-
	toward-anycast.

	It should be also noted that, the restriction imposed on anycast
	address may be changed in the future (RFC2373 section 2.6 says
	"Until more experience has been gained ...").
	If this kind of situation happens we may have to remove special
	treatment about tcp-toward-anycast.  In my approach only routers
	have to be modified (and those routers must be updated for new
	anycast handling, anyway).

	For user-friendliness, we may be able to modify tcp stack and telnet
	applicaton, so that kernel will pass some special error code if
	"address unreach" ICMPv6 is received.
	I believe this is implementation issue (it is matter of extra
	functionality), not an protocol issue.

[email-masked]
jun-ichiro itoh