Subject: (IPng 6564) addr parsing problems

From: [email-masked] (Sam Manthorpe)
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:13:49 -0700 (PDT)

Has anybody spent any time addressing the parsing problems
introduced by using IPv6 addresses in syntaxes designed for
IPv4.  For example:

Consider the following UNIX command:

    rcp 8::1:2:3:/abc/test.txt test.txt

At first glance this would appear to copy the file /abc/test.txt from
host 8::1:2:3.  But it could also be copying the file 2:3:/abc/test.txt
from host 8::1.

The only way to cleanly solve this problem that comes to mind is
to have the last colon in the string being used to delimit host and
file names, but allowing quotes to force an alternative parsing.

Then there's the problem with URLs with port numbers specified,
such as: http://8::1::2:3:81/index.html  I beleive this problem
has been discussed at the IETF, but I don't know if there was any
solution.

There are probably others that I haven't come across yet.  Any ideas/info
appreciated.

-- Sam

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sam Manthorpe, SGI.  tel: (650)933-2856 fax: (650)932-2856  [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

----- End Included Message -----

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------