Subject: Re: updated PIM for IPv6 draft

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 03:58:48 +0900

>>>>> On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:44:53 -0500, 
>>>>> "Brian Haberman" <[email-masked]> said:

> Your approach would be consistent with what OSPF for IPv6 does.
> The draft could be changed to require that change, but I would like
> some input from the working groups.

>> i.e. the checksum is calculated without a pseudo-IP header. However, I
>> believe it should be calculated *with* a pseudo-IP header for IPv6 PIM
>> packets, because IPv6 does not have an IP layer checksum and because
>> PIM depends on some fileds of received IP packets (e.g. the source
>> address field).
>> 
>> If it's reasonable, I hope it will be described in a future version of
>> the pim-ipv6 draft and/or the pim-v2 draft.

I've been watching the list, but I've not seen any opinions on this
issue (sorry if I missed something). Does this mean that everyone
agrees on the change? Or do I miss something fundamental?

Thanks again.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:21:15 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

   Does this mean that everyone agrees on the change?

=> I agree (ie. the rationate for ICMPv6 checksum applies to PIMv6 one).

Regards

[email-masked]

PS: we need a way (flag day?) to solve the interopability issue
introduced by this change.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------