Subject: RE: Clarifications wanted on Basic API (RFC 2553)

From: "Elliott,Daniel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 11:59:29 -0600

Dear Sir or Madam:

     I made the terrible mistake of getting on the mailing list, that you
all are on.  I NEED OFF!  All i wanted was a good source for less in-depth
information on IPv6.  If this doesn't take care of it, as i am sure that i
won't then please direct me to where  i need to go.  Thanks and sorry for
the annoyance.

Dan Elliott
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian Zill <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 19:51:56 -0800

Hi Francis,

>    Section 6.1, getipnodebyname:
>    What is the namespace for error_num?
> 
> => same than for old gethostbyname, a private one
> defined in /usr/include/netdb.h as below:

Ah yes, I forgot.  The Winsock spec folds these into a systemish error space
along with other unix errno style codes.

>    Section 6.4 getaddrinfo:
>    For example, EAI_SERVICE means "servname not
>    supported for ai_socktype".
> 
> => I believe this error code is for service name is
> valid but not for this socket type, for instance if
> you ask for "tftp" with SOCK_STREAM/tcp socket type.

Yes, but what if I ask for some service "foo" with SOCK_STREAM/tcp
socktype/protocol and it fails?  Do I then have to lookup "foo" for all
other socktypes/protocols just so I know that it isn't supported for
SOCK_STREAM/tcp in particular and not that it's simply an unknown service
name?  The existance of a separate EAI_SERVICE error code from the
EAI_NONAME error code implies this, but that strikes me as somewhat bizarre.
I don't do the extra lookup today, if you asked using a specific socktype
I'll return EAI_SERVICE, otherwise I return EAI_NONAME.  Thus I may return
EAI_SERVICE for a service name that is not supported for _any_ socktype, is
this o.k.?

It looks like we mostly agree on the rest of it.

> Regards
> [email-masked]

Thanks,
--Brian