Subject: IPv6 mib question (ipv6RouteEntry)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 23:48:55 +0900

Hello, I have an update request about RFC2465 (IPv6 MIB), specifically
	ipv6RouteEntry.

	Due to scoped nature of some of IPv6 address (like link-local unicast,
	site-local unicast, and multicasts), there can be multiple IPv6
	scoped address/prefix with exactly the same value can appear on
	IPv6 routing table.
	For example, I have the following IPv6 routing table (sorry for long
	line) on the node I'm typing this email.
	There are multiple entries with "fe80::/64", and "ff02::/32".  They
	are disambiguated by its interface only.

	If we try to view those entries via SNMP,
>fe80::@sm1/64                      link#1                         
>fe80::@lo0/64                      fe80::1@lo0                    

	they would appear like below, at *exactly* the same MIB tree:
ipv6RouteTable.ipv6RouteEntry.ipv6RouteDest.254.128.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.64.0 = fe80:0:0:0:0:0:0:0
ipv6RouteTable.ipv6RouteEntry.ipv6RoutePfxLength.254.128.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.64.0 = 64 bits

	The collision is from non-unqueness of ipv6RouteEntry, since it does
	not include ipv6RouteIfIndex.

>         ipv6RouteEntry OBJECT-TYPE
>             SYNTAX     Ipv6RouteEntry
>             MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
>             STATUS     current
>             DESCRIPTION
>                     "A routing entry."
>             INDEX   { ipv6RouteDest,
>                       ipv6RoutePfxLength,
>                       ipv6RouteIndex }
>             ::= { ipv6RouteTable 1 }

	Is it possible to include ipv6RouteIfIndex when next revision is made?
	
	All INDEX definitions should include interface index to disambiguate
	MIB tree, if it is indexed by IPv6 address.  Good example:
	ipv6UdpEntry in RFC2454 includes ipv6UdpIfIndex in INDEX entry,
	and there will be no collision even if you have two UDP socket
	listening on ff02::9 on different interface.
	It seems ipv6RouteEntry is the only one which does not include
	interface index.

itojun

Internet6:
Destination                        Gateway                        Flags     Refs     Use    Mtu  Interface
::/96                              ::1                            UGRS        0        0  32976  lo0 =>
default                            fe80::240:5ff:fea0:8e08@sm1    UG          1     1886   1500  sm1
::1                                ::1                            UH          4     8771  32976  lo0
::ffff:0.0.0.0/96                  ::1                            UGRS        0        0  32976  lo0
3ffe:501:410::/64                  link#1                         UC          0        0   1500  sm1
3ffe:501:410:0:200:86ff:fe05:80fa  00:00:86:05:80:fa              UHL         0        0   1500  lo0
3ffe:501:410:0:240:5ff:fea0:8e08   00:40:05:a0:8e:08              UHL         0        6   1500  sm1
3ffe:507:1:1::/64                  link#1                         UC          0        0   1500  sm1
3ffe:507:1:1:200:86ff:fe05:80fa    00:00:86:05:80:fa              UHL         0        0   1500  lo0
3ffe:507:1:1:240:5ff:fea0:8e08     00:40:05:a0:8e:08              UHL         0       17   1500  sm1
3ffe:8020:10ff:1::/64              link#1                         UC          0        0   1500  sm1
fe80::/10                          ::1                            UGRS        0        0  32976  lo0
fe80::@sm1/64                      link#1                         UC          0        0   1500  sm1
fe80::200:86ff:fe05:80fa@sm1       00:00:86:05:80:fa              UHL         1        0   1500  lo0
fe80::240:5ff:fea0:8e08@sm1        00:40:05:a0:8e:08              UHL         1       44   1500  sm1
fe80::@lo0/64                      fe80::1@lo0                    U           0        8  32976  lo0
fec0::/10                          ::1                            UGRS        0        0  32976  lo0
ff01::/32                          ::1                            U           0        0  32976  lo0
ff02::@sm1/32                      link#1                         UC          0        0   1500  sm1
ff02::@lo0/32                      fe80::1@lo0                    UC          0        0  32976  lo0

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------