Subject: Fragmentation in RFC1981

From: Giuseppe Federico Rossi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:11:19 +0100

Suppose there is an IPv6 host receiving an ICMPv6 "Packet Too Big"
message with a next-hop MTU that is less than the IPv6 minimum link MTU
(1280). According to RFC1981 the host must include the "Fragment Header"
in the successive datagrams. In this case I do not understand if:
- the fragmentation is performed by the sending host (as explained in
RFC2460)
  or
- the fragmentation is performed by the node generating the "Packet Too
Big" message (where the next MTU is < 1280).
In any case, does the fragmenting node generate IPv6 datagrams less than
1280 byte long ? If yes, what is the minimum (allowed) length for an
IPv6 fragment ?

Many thanks to all members of ipng community
Best Regards

Giuseppe

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------