Subject: filtering against IPv6 in IPv4

From: Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:04:56 +0900 (JST)

Hi all,

Some ISPs configure IP filters NOT to forward "IPv6 in IPv4" packets.
This is obstacles for transition from IPv4 to IPv6.

Are there any activities in IETF to recommend ISPs not to filter "IPv6
in IPv4" packets? (e.g. IAB recommendation)

--Kazu
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:50:14 -0500

we should take this to the IPv6 Forum too.  Many of the ISPs are members of
the Forum.  I will send a note to the Forum.  But I agree this would be
a good statement from the IAB.

/jim

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 06:36:44 -0600

This is not the sort of thing that the IAB can meaningfully recommend. 
It needs customer demand.

I suspect that this is not anti-IPv6 discrimination; more likely they
are filtering all protocol types except a few.

   Brian

---

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:18:20 -0800

Brian and all,

  I believe that filtering of any kind on IP versions, IPv6, IPv4 or IPv8
is just a bunch of silly nonsense.

> > in IPv4" packets? (e.g. IAB recommendation)

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman INEGroup (Over 95k members strong!)
CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
E-Mail [email-masked]
Contact Number:  972-447-1894
Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:54:50 -0500

>It needs customer demand.

I can see that good point.  In fact the IETF really can't do anything
about it nor should they.  Now that I think about it.

The IPv6 Forum can help resolve this.                 

>are filtering all protocol types except a few.

thats what I think too.

/jim

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:33:33 +0100

> is just a bunch of silly nonsense.

The probably filter any protocol carried inside IP with the exception of
ICMP, TCP and maybe UDP.

	-is

-- 
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of
   smart terminals.  -- [email-masked] (obscurity)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:31:11 -0800

Ignatios and all,

> The probably filter any protocol carried inside IP with the exception of

  Your probably right here.  And again, just as silly.  I would luv to hear
their reasons/excuses for doing this sort of filtering.  I am sure it would
be amusing and disgusting at the same time....

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:49:41 +0100

> be amusing and disgusting at the same time....

They are not Internet providers. They are WWW access providers.

	-is