Subject: MSR IPv6 Release 1.4

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:05:00 -0800

Microsoft Research is please to announce Release 1.4 of our MSR IPv6 stack
for Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000. See
http://www.research.microsoft.com/msripv6 for more details and download
information. The release includes freely-available source code as well as
precompiled binaries.

Major new functionality for this release includes scoped address support in
the API and the stack, Plug'n'Play and Power Management on Windows 2000, and
automated 6to4 configuration. 

The scoped address support includes sin6_scope_id, getaddrinfo/getnameinfo,
and related changes and APIs. We support site-local addressing with site
prefixes (Nordmark's draft) and multi-sited nodes. For literal addresses
with scope ids, we use the format "scope-id/address".

On Windows 2000, USB and PCMCIA network interfaces can now be added to or
removed from the system on the fly and the stack will reconfigure itself
accordingly. Similarly, one can disconnect and reconnect network links or
hibernate and resume a system and the MSR IPv6 stack will do the right
thing. It is possible to dynamically unload and reload the stack without
rebooting. 

The new 6to4cfg program automates 6to4 configuration. The 6to4 transition
technique lets IPv6 sites communicate transparently over the IPv4 internet
backbone. 6to4cfg makes it very easy to setup a 6to4 gateway router and
connect sites to the 6bone via 6to4. See our 6to4 documentation:
http://www.research.microsoft.com/msripv6/docs/6to4.htm. 

And of course, there are many miscellaneous enhancements and fixes.

Thanks,
Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------