Subject: Re: iruserok() with address-family independence

From: Tim Hartrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:54:37 -0800 (PST)

Itojun,

	In looking at the manpages from several standards based UNIX
systems I see no reference to iruserok.  I also can't find prototypes
for these functions in any header files on these standards based UNIX
systems.  I take this to mean that they are not part of any UNIX standard.

	My personal opinion is that 2292bis does not need to make any
statement about these functions since they are not part of any standard
or defacto standard API.  As long as an implementation's ruserok works
as expected for IPv4 and IPv6 I don't think anything more needs to be defined
regarding what happens behinds the scenes.

Tim Hartrick
Mentat Inc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:38:02 +0900

>regarding what happens behinds the scenes.

	Hmm, I see.  so all I'll need to do is to get some agreement
	about iruserok_sa or ruserok_sa (because they are publically available
	function and used in BSD/linux rshd/rlogind, we need to have certain
	agreement).  I still vote for iruserok_sa, and not ruserok_sa,
	for minimum surprise in existing code.

	Another one we have on the table is bindresvport() (NOTE: old one, like
		int bindresvport(int sd, struct sockaddr_in *sin)

	I'm in favor of bindresvport_af(), with additional "af" argument.
	I don't want too many changes in behavior and would like to keep
	the change minimum.
		int bindresvport_af(int sd, struct sockaddr *sa, int af)
	(openbsd-current already has this)

	I vote against
		int bindresvport_sa(int sd, struct sockaddr *sa)
	(which takes "af" from sa->sa_family).   bindresvport() allows 
	"sin" to be NULL so we always need to pass address family even in
	this case.  I do not want behavior change here.

itojun