Subject: RE: Another way to support Site-Local Addresses

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:04:55 -0800

>If the goal is to add an 8-16 bit site id in the site local prefix between 
>FEC0::/10 and FEC0::/48, then why not make it 24 bits?  32 bits?  38 bits?

The larger the better -- would allow for random assignment while minimizing
risks of collisions...
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:33:41 -0600

> The larger the better -- would allow for random assignment while minimizing

No, the larger the better -- it'll prevent the next idea for sticking
some weird bits in the middle of the address.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------