Subject: Re: Use of IP6.INT

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 13:29:55 -0600

Thomas Narten wrote:
> 
> Bill Manning <[email-masked]> writes:
...
> >       Since we were told by the IANA that ip6.int is/was ok,
> 
> Really Bill. The world has changed quite a lot since those decisions
> where made. Not all for the better.
> 
> >       I wonder why the IAB has decided that its not OK and we
> >       as operators and developers should start second guessing
> >       IANA and believe them on a potential political debate?
> 
> ICANN deals with TLDs these days, so the question is are we
> comfortable with the assumption that ICANN will work things out in
> favor of our best interests.

In retrospect it was clearly a mistake to mix up two entirely
different types of usage in .int; it was a kludge at the time, and
it's even less OK now that the world has changed. The *practical*
question is whether the cost of fixing that mistake exceeds the
cost of not fixing it. That's what we have to decide as engineers.

   Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 14:41:24 -0800

Brian and all,

  I am a bit surprised at your comment here Brian.  Andy recognized
problem/bug always should be fixed, Biran.  As a good engineer you
do know this.  Cost is or should not be of issue.

> cost of not fixing it. That's what we have to decide as engineers.

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman INEGroup (Over 95k members strong!)
CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
E-Mail [email-masked]
Contact Number:  972-447-1894
Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208