Subject: RE: Site Identifiers and IPv6 Multisited Applications Nodes

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 12:43:14 -0800

Well, just a short question. What happens if your dentist uses more than one
wire, e.g. the torture chair and its equipent on 1394, the computers on
10baseT, and, hopefully, a zeroconfig IPv6 router in between?

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Crawford [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2000 6:22 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Jim Bound; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Site Identifiers and IPv6 Multisited Applications Nodes 

> >2. DO NOT USE LINK-LOCAL ADDRESSES for user applications their purpose is
to
> >be used by network wire control functions for node discovery in IPv6.

Whatever happened to our dentist?
Farewell to zeroconf?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 10:22:54 +0100

> 10baseT, and, hopefully, a zeroconfig IPv6 router in between?

In this case, link-local addresses wouldn't really help him.

His router will have to detect the mutliple interfaces and assign /64 
prefixes from either a global address space (if available) or the site-local
space to them, and let the end nodes autoconfigure.

The interesting question is, how do the devices detect each other? But thats
a higher protocol layer.

Regards,
	-is

-- 
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of
   smart terminals.  -- [email-masked] (obscurity)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------