Subject: Re: Use of IP6.INT

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 13:17:32 -0600

Steve Deering wrote:
...
> > >And I don't know if you noticed, but the IAB has put a lot of effort into
> > >blocking apparent attempts by others to put phone numbers into IPv6
> > >addresses.  For example, see <http://www.iab.org/iab/Aug99comment.txt>.
> >
> >Only by fiat as someone told me about it.  If it was sent out as a URL
> >for information to the community I missed that?  Was it?
> 
> I don't remember exactly, but I think the full text was posted to the
> general IETF list, as well as being installed on the IAB web pages.
> I'm sure Brian will correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't have a record of it being sent to ietf-announce, but I think I was
actually on vacation at the time, so I may not have everything. 
It was very public since it went to an ICANN public comments forum.

> 
> >But the letter says the "IETF community" this and "IETF community" that.
> >I don't want to get into our old battle but when did the community agree to
> >all this the IAB claims they do?

I think that on occasion you have to allow the IAB to speak for the
community without a plenary debate. We can always be fired.

     Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 14:38:33 -0800

Brian and all,

Ok Brian, Your fired!  >;)  Just joking...  I respect your opinion even though
I often disagree with it.  But vetting this in a public way is a healthy
thing.

> community without a plenary debate. We can always be fired.

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman INEGroup (Over 95k members strong!)
CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
E-Mail [email-masked]
Contact Number:  972-447-1894
Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208

---

From: Steve Deering <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:15:52 -0800

Based on the email exchange a couple weeks ago, regarding placing the new
bitstring-based reverse DNS lookup tree under .arpa instead of .int, we
appear to have rough consensus that such a change would create no technical
problems and negligible deployment or operational impact at this point.
Therefore, the chairs propose to tell the IAB and IESG that we are willing
to make such a change in draft-ietf-ipngwg-dns-lookups-nn.txt, if they
request it.  If there are any previously unvoiced (un-emailed?) objections
to doing that, please speak up *now*.

By the way, of the two proposed suffixes (.ip6.arpa or .in6-addr.arpa),
are there any good reasons to prefer one over the other?

Bob and Steve

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 13:20:22 -0500

> are there any good reasons to prefer one over the other?

the former is 5 less bytes. Consider all the bandwidth we'll be saving
for future generations. :-)

Thomas

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:43:10 -0600

> are there any good reasons to prefer one over the other?

If it's not decided before I'm done with the current rev. of the
document, I'll just leave the placeholder domain ...

	damn-the-bit-misers-full-speed-ahead.arpa

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:48:40 +0100

> are there any good reasons to prefer one over the other?

ip6.arpa, please. Sometimes you just need to type this in manually.

Regards,
	-is
-- 
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of
   smart terminals.  -- [email-masked] (obscurity)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------