Subject: rfc2553bis getaddrinfo

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 19:33:10 -0500

folks,

1.  I think getaddrinfo should support raw sockets.

2.  I do not think getaddrinfo should discuss AF_UNIX/LOCAL as its
    implememntation defined how that will work, but we should make
    sure getaddrinfo does not prohibit the use of AF_UNIX/LOCAL.

3.  I think its fine to specify AI_CANNONICAL with AI_NUMERICHOST
    but the behavior is implementation defined if the nodename
    is an Ipv6 nummeric address (likewise for getnameinfo).  We cannot
    assume DNS implementatons keep non-global addresses in the DNS.
    Nor can we assume a DNS link-local or site-local lookup or even
    whats in /etc/hosts, etc...  

/jim
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------