Subject: RE: UPDATE rfc2553bis Update for IPv6 Extended address scope

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 07:54:32 -0800

> > I believe we all
> > "think/believe" link-identifiers are unqiue across a node.
> 
> Definitely yes.
> 
> > But we have
> > not stated that in specs I can find?  In your opinion do we need to
> > state somewhere in some spec that link-identifiers MUST be 
> unique across
> > a node whether multisited or not?  
> 
> Hmm, okay, then I'll clearly state that in our next draft.
> (BTW, did you actually mean "multilinked" by "multisited" in the last
> line?)

Wait a minute, I don't think we've ever agreed that interface ids are unique
across a node. It should be possible to have two interfaces with the same
link-local address.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 02:09:59 +0900

>>>>> On Thu, 2 Mar 2000 07:54:32 -0800 , 
>>>>> Richard Draves <[email-masked]> said:

> across a node. It should be possible to have two interfaces with the same

?? I may have misunderstood the Jim's original mail, but what I meant
by "link-identifiers" was (for example) the <scope_id> part of our
extended format for a link-local addresses, not the "interface ID
(i.e. the lower 64bits)" of the addresses. Yes, this is a kind of
tautology, thus I used the word "Definitely".

As for the uniqueness of "interface IDs", I completely agree with you
(unless the two interfaces belong to a same link), of course.

Or...did I miss something important?

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 12:13:08 -0500

Rich,

>across a node. It should be possible to have two interfaces with the same

Thats why I brought it up.  Yes you can have two intefaces with the same
link-local address, but not on the same link.  The issue is not the
link-local address but the identifer for the interface we have been
discussiong le0, le1, tu0, ewa1, etc... 

/jim

Rich