Subject: Microsoft IPv6 Technology Preview for Windows 2000

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 11:25:31 -0800

You may have seen the recent press release about MS's IPv6 product plans:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/Mar00/IPv6PR.asp

The Technology Preview (phase 2 of our product plans) is now available at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6.asp

The Technology Preview is very similar to the MSR IPv6 1.4 release.
There are several additional bug fixes.
Some noticeable differences are:
- The Technology Preview is only for Windows 2000.
- It supports draft-ietf-ipngwg-scopedaddr-format-01.txt.
- It doesn't include source code.
- Improvements to 6to4cfg. There is a new official MS 6to4 relay,
6to4.ipv6.microsoft.com.
- ipv6.exe shows "friendly names" (from Connection Manager) for interfaces
- We removed support for getipnodebyname, getipnodebyaddr, inet_pton,
inet_ntop - use getaddrinfo & getnameinfo.

If you wish to install the Technology Preview, you must first uninstall MSR
IPv6. If the new address%scopeid syntax is not working properly, try
rebooting - there's a bug in the installer where sometimes you need to
reboot after installing to update %systemroot%\system32\wship6.dll.

At this time, we do anticipate more MSR IPv6 releases (with source code) but
not in the near future - our work on Microsoft's IPv6 product takes
precedence.

Thanks,
Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------