Subject: Re: IPv6 Wireless and Mobility Roundtable

From: Mikael Degermark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:48:22 +0100

Carl, 

As co-chair of the soon-to-be formed ROHC WG (Robust header compression WG)
I feel that you should add the following piece of information to the announcement.

At 08:39 PM 2/28/00 -0800, Carl Williams wrote:
>IPv6 Wireless and Mobility Roundtable
>=====================================
...
>- The IPv6 header is twice as large as its IPv4 counterpart,
>  but routers should have a much easier time processing and
>  forwarding packets.

Don't forget that the IPv6 header is simpler to compress. The size
of the average compressed IPv6 header will be smaller than the 
corresponding IPv4 header (although the difference is not large).
So the cost of using IPv6 over the air links will be somewhat less
than when using IPv4. 

Cheers,

Micke

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------