Subject: zeroconf comment for IPv6

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 00:09:10 -0500

implementors,

read the zeroconf draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-02.txt.  this does not
require the use of link-local addresses for IPv6.  In fact think about
it real hard.  Any of us could build a complete zeroconf network with
the IPv6 we have running today and ship it to the customer FIS with a
menu:

Please enter:  Do you want to do Stateless Addr Conf or Stateful (well
DHCPv6 is close and our next drafts should get implementors moving).

Please enter:  Global or Site-Local address (this could be
preconfigured before shipping but not FIS).

But could implement this so users would never see link-local addresses
and only "names" that appear before their eyes or they could choose the
names.

This is the kind of stuff we can make money at, profit, greenbacks,
revenue, market share, and all that yummy capitalistic stuff so we can
become giant fat cats with IPv6 ......Finally a motivation from "greed"
of currency :------).  People will pay for this stuff... Hey I am
motivated big time now... and zeroconf applies to Wireless and Mobile
IPv6 too.... yummmy yummmy I can get some money in my tummy :---)

I see no reason to discuss this in the IETF as we should all compete for
this business and let the best implementor reap the reward, but I am
saying this is prime for IPv6, and implementors should take it very
seriously if you build small in home systems for customers.....

/jim
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:24:47 -0600

> read the zeroconf draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-02.txt.  [...]
>   Any of us could build a complete zeroconf network with

Pardon my effete ivory-tower never-shipped-a-product background, but
where I come from, "zero" is the unique additive identity element.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:38:54 -0500

>where I come from, "zero" is the unique additive identity element.

I agree.  But the laws of mathematical properties do not apply to users
deploying networks.

Products should get as close to this identify as possible.

/jim