Subject: dns standard hole

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 13:14:07 -0500

Hi, for dns, right now (unless I'm wrong), we have:
- RFC 1886, (AAAA records)
- draft-...-dns-lookups (A6 records)

then, bind and resolvers are preferring A6 records before AAAA. Some time 
apps timeout because of no A6 record but the 2nd query for the AAAA record 
take too much time as a whole.

deploying ipv6 without a standard for A6 records is not great.

I've looked at my ipng mail folder and haven't found a last call on A6 
draft. Any time soon?

Regards, Marc.

Marc Blanchet
Viagénie inc.
tel: 418-656-9254
http://www.viagenie.qc.ca

----------------------------------------------------------
Normos (http://www.normos.org): Internet standards portal:
IETF RFC, drafts, IANA, W3C, ATMForum, ISO, ... all in one place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:35:47 -0800

Marc,

Take a look at:

   RFC2874 "DNS Extensions to Support IPv6 Address Aggregation and
   Renumbering", July 2000.

Bob