Subject: RE: deprecated address handling for inbound TCP

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:00:53 -0800

> 	Ok, I goofed. By what process are addresses marked as 
> "deprecated
> 	 for however long is possible to allow existing connections
> 	 to continue to work, then finally, remove support for them 
> 	 altogether"?  I still don't see why there is the 
> strong requirement
> 	 to tie an addresses validity to its instantiation in the DNS.

It's not a "strong" requirement. It's not a good idea and shouldn't be the
normal mode of operation. If there is a deprecated address in the DNS,
nothing major will break. (Unless someone implements itojun's proposal and
fails incoming TCP connections to that address, but I think that's a bad
idea.)

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------