Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2292bis-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 05:59:45 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPNG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Advanced Sockets API for IPv6
	Author(s)	: R. Stevens, M. Thomas, E. Nordmark
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2292bis-02.txt
	Pages		: 74
	Date		: 07-Nov-00
	
A separate specification [RFC-2553] contain changes to the sockets
API to support IP version 6.  Those changes are for TCP and UDP-based
applications and will support most end-user applications in use
today: Telnet and FTP clients and servers, HTTP clients and servers,
and the like.
But another class of applications exists that will also be run under
IPv6.  We call these 'advanced' applications and today this includes
programs such as Ping, Traceroute, routing daemons, multicast routing
daemons, router discovery daemons, and the like.  The API feature
typically used by these programs that make them 'advanced' is a raw
socket to access ICMPv4, IGMPv4, or IPv4, along with some knowledge
of the packet header formats used by these protocols.  To provide
portability for applications that use raw sockets under IPv6, some
standardization is needed for the advanced API features.
There are other features of IPv6 that some applications will need to
access: interface identification (specifying the outgoing interface
and determining the incoming interface) and IPv6 extension headers
that are not addressed in [RFC-2553]: The Routing header (source
routing), Hop-by-Hop options, and Destination options.  This document
provides API access to these features too.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2292bis-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2292bis-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2292bis-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.