Subject: DNSEXT WG Last Call: Message Size

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:17:58 -0500

This is a DNSEXT WG last call on this document, please send your comments
to mailto:[email-masked]

This document updates RFC2535 and RFC2874 (A6)  to demand larger
UDP message size than 512  bytes. This document mandates that any
entity supporting either DNSSEC or A6 records must support EDNS0 on queries
and responses.
The motivation(s) for this is the increase in size of DNS answers caused
by DNSSEC, IPng, TSIG and large the desire for large answer sets.
The document assumes that modern operating systems can do UDP reassembly,
thus this the single UDP message requirement can be relaxed and this is
less costly than falling back on TCP for all large answers.

This WG last call ends December 17'th 2000.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-message-size-01.txt

This draft is on standards track, if you disagree with that please state why
in your response.

         Olafur

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------