Subject: RE: deprecated address handling for inbound TCP

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 01:05:28 -0800

> 	yah, but there are faulty DNS servers caches result longer than
> 	it should.  if we accept the connection, we will use deprecated
> 	address for longer period of time, and we end up cannot 
> terminate
> 	contract with ISP-OLD.

If the DNS cache is faulty, it might not have the new address in it. So if
you fail the connect to the old address, you won't get any connection at
all.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 19:07:08 +0900

>you fail the connect to the old address, you won't get any connection at

	oops, we are talking about different thing.  you are talking about
	default behavior, where we allow packets with deprecated address 
	to be generated.  I was talking about non-default behavior where
	deprecated address is forbidden.  sorry for confusion and not being
	clear enough.

itojun

---
5.5.4.  Address Lifetime Expiry

   A preferred address becomes deprecated when its preferred lifetime
   expires.  A deprecated address SHOULD continue to be used as a source
   address in existing communications, but SHOULD NOT be used in new
   communications if an alternate (non-deprecated) address is available
   and has sufficient scope.  IP and higher layers (e.g., TCP, UDP) MUST
   continue to accept datagrams destined to a deprecated address since a
   deprecated address is still a valid address for the interface. An	<---
   implementation MAY prevent any new communication from using a	<---
   deprecated address, but system management MUST have the ability to	<---
   disable such a facility, and the facility MUST be disabled by	<---
   default.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------