Subject: RE: Comments on the Privacy Extensions draft

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:57:31 -0800

> For instance, consider a link with a few dozen nodes, each of them
> having
> 
> (i)   a globally unique addess, constructed as prefix + EUI-64,
> (ii)  link-level address, also based on the same EUI-64 id, 
> (iii) a bunch of anonymous addresses based on, say,
>       md5(EUI-64 + small counter), using the same prefix as the global
>       address 

This isn't how the randomized interface identifiers are generated...

> If you connect somewhere using an anonymous address, and the server
> has a list of previously observed global addresses, the server can
> lookup the global addresses that happened to match your prefix. Next,
> the EUI-64 ids for the matching addresses are extracted, and a
> reasonably small search will tell if any of those identifiers match
> your anonymous address, and if so, which one.

So the server can not work backwards from a public address to figure out
what anonymous addresses belong to the same node.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------