Subject: RE: Regarding the Options headers

From: "Thomas Eklund" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:36:28 +0100

Just one short comment,
I agree with you - but what do you do when the ISP uses this today in their
edge routers?

Lets not make it a religous thing here - this is a real problem that IPv6
are facing when it will take the next step into production networks (with
real speeds) not any field trial networks.

-- thomas

> > This is no problem if you do it in a sw based router where
> > you have all the
> > time in the world to parse your header but it becomes an
> > issue when you
> > implement IPv6 in asic!!
>
> How about going with the original spirit of the Internet,
> that routers have
> no business of snooping into packet any deeper than the IP header?
>
> Lets keep it clean, and not break the layering!
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
> IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
> FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
> Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Thomas Eklund" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:21:36 +0100

Hi Francis,
   
> => then your issue is you can't say just no as I can?

No - because there are too many customers asking for it.

-- thomas