Subject: [ANN] 1st release of USAGI IPv6 environment

From: usagi-core <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 18:55:36 +0900

We are glad to announce the 1st release of USAGI Project. The "USAGI"
means UniverSAl playGround for Ipv6. It is the IPv6 development project
for Linux operating systems mainly.

As many other operating systems and routers, the Linux kernel has
its original IPv6 implementation.  However, the development was done
long time ago and the implementation is not up-to-dated. Many important
features such as IPsec and NDP are missing or miss-implemented.

Considering the situation, we have started USAGI Project with WIDE Project,
KAME Project and TAHI Project in August 2000. 

The USAGI Project is managed by volunteers and aims to provide
better IPv6 environment on Linux freely. We try to improve Linux kernel,
IPv6 related libraries and IPv6 applications.

Please visit http://www.linux-ipv6.org/ for further details.

Today, November 1st, we are glad to announce 1st official release from
USAGI Project. At the release, we include the following three packages.

- Linux Kernel-2.4.0-test9-usagi-20001101a
	Based on Linux Kernel-2.4.0-test9, we have improved and
	implemented
		+ better source address selection,
		+ ICMPv6 Node Information Queries,
		+ SNMP statistics per device,
		+ IPv6 khttpd,
		+ joining all-node multicast address on network devices and
		+ many bug fixes.

- glibc-2.1.3-usagi-20001101a
	Based on glibc-2.1.3, we have improved
		+ supporting sin6_scope_id,
		+ adding AI_ADDRCONFIG flag,
		+ some RFC2292 functions,
		+ adding getifaddrs API and
		+ some bug fixes.

- iputils-ss000418-usagi-20001101a
	Based on iputils-ss000418, we have improved
		+ supporting sin6_scope_id,
		+ ICMPv6 Node Information Queries and
		+ supporting Autoconfigure.

You can get above source codes from the following URL.
	ftp://ftp.linux-ipv6.org/pub/usagi/stable/patch/

USAGI Project will release snapshot codes on each two weeks and
after implementing some features, we will release stable codes.
We will announce latest information regarding releasing codes
via web page. Please check our web site.

We also provide the binary packages for some distributions.
Some of the binary packages have diffrent code version with original
USAGI code because of packaging policy. You can get the packages from
following sites.

Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (potato)
	ftp://ftp.linux-ipv6.org/pub/usagi/stable/package/debian/

Kondara MNU/Linux (Jirai)
	ftp://ftp.linux-ipv6.org/pub/usagi/stable/package/kondara/

RedHat Linux 7.0
	ftp://ftp.linux-ipv6.org/pub/usagi/stable/package/redhat/

TurboLinux 6.0 (or later) (for Japanese version)
	ftp://ftp.linux-ipv6.org/pub/usagi/stable/package/turbo/

By the way, we manage the mailing list for USAGI users. If you have 
questions or advices, please join the mailing list. For more ditails, 
please see http://www.linux-ipv6.org/ml/ .

Thanks.

Related Web sites.
	WIDE Project	http://www.wide.ad.jp/
	KAME Project	http://www.kame.net/
	TAHI Project	http://www.tahi.org/

-- 
USAGI Project <http://www.linux-ipv6.org>
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------