Subject: Protocol Action: Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 10:10:11 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Privacy Extensions for
Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6'
<draft-ietf-ipngwg-addrconf-privacy-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the IPNG Working Group.  The IESG
contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   Nodes use IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration to generate
   addresses without the necessity of a DHCP server. Addresses are
   formed by combining network prefixes with an interface identifier. On
   interfaces that contain embedded IEEE Identifiers, the interface
   identifier is typically derived from it. On other interface types,
   the interface identifier is generated through other means, for
   example, via random number generation. This document describes an
   extension to IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration for interfaces
   whose interface identifier is derived from an IEEE identifier. Use of
   the extension causes nodes to generate global-scope addresses from
   interface identifiers that change over time, even in cases where the
   interface contains an embedded IEEE identifier. Changing the
   interface identifier (and the global-scope addresses generated from
   it) over time makes it more difficult for eavesdroppers and other
   information collectors to identify when different addresses used in
   different transactions actually correspond to the same node.

Working Group Summary

   There was WG consensus to advance this.

Protocol Quality

   The specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Erik Nordmark.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------