Subject: Fwd: RE: what is a site?

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 14:07:28 -0400

>Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 09:21:22 -0400
>To: Tomohide Nagashima <[email-masked]>
>From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
>Subject: RE: what is a site?
>Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],  [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>
>
>I think that this conversation is getting rather far afield...
>
>>With current definition of site, site can inculde site. this is logical 
>>matter. Asuume there is one site that has 100 links. If we pick 10 links 
>>which are routable each. All node in this network is off-cause routable 
>>with site-local address so that network is still site. If we would 
>>define Site with only topological matter , site can include site. 
>>(but off cause, we would not like to add any other definition for Site.)
>
>All theoretical definitions aside, it is up to the customer, in
>cooperation with the ISP to define what a "site" will be.  There
>will be only one "level" of site (no sub-site or full-site) 
>because the IPv6 routing architecture does not allow for nested 
>sites.  This is covered by the restriction that sites cannot 
>overlap (sub-sites would completely overlap full-sites).
>
>Given the current definitions in the addressing architecture, we
>can define a "site" to be a group of nodes whose global addresses
>contain the same 48-bit prefix, but this is meaningless.  Nodes
>are not allowed to know about the boundaries in the IPv6 addressing
>architecture, and they may change or be eliminated in the future.
>
>More importantly, the practical definition of a site is:
>
>"A group of links between which routers are configured to forward 
>packets addressed to or from site-local addresses."
>
>The routers will be explicitly configured by their administrators 
>to forward (or not forward) site-local information between any
>two connected links.  In most implementations, this will probably
>be accomplished by setting site identifiers to the same value for 
>links in the same site. Whenever any router is configured to forward 
>site-local packets between two links, those links are in the same 
>site.  Period.
>
>It is up to administrators to configure their routers with 
>consistent prefix information, site identifiers, etc. to produce
>well-formed sites that are "convex" and do not overlap. 
>
>Margaret

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------