Subject: address allocation for MLDv2

From: Rolland Vida <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 18:47:55 +0200

Hello,

I have a question about the procedure to follow in order to request the
allocation of a special multicast address and a protocol message type
number. We've already contacted IANA (at [email-masked]) and ICANN (at
[email-masked]), but we haven't received any answer yet.

We are working on the specification of the MLDv2 protocol draft, the
IPv6 version of IGMPv3.
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vida-mld-v2-00.txt)

In the specification of the protocol we need the followings:
1. the allocation of a special IPv6 multicast address called "all
mldv2-capable routers". For IGMPv3 IANA already allocated the IPv4
multicast address 224.0.0.22 for "all igmpv3-capable routers". As
normally there is a correspondence between specially assigned IPv4 and
IPv6 addresses, we think FF02::16 is the suitable address for
all-mldv2-routers. But the only document that we found listing already
assigned IPv6 multicast addresses is RFC2375, dated July 1998. So we are
not sure that this proposed address is not already allocated. For IPv4
there's a much more recent document available at
(http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/multicast-addresses -
March 2001)

2. the allocation of an ICMPv6 message type for MLDv2 Report messages.
In the first version of the draft we mistakenly considered the value of
136 for this message type, but this value is already allocated to
Neighbor Advertisment messages. As far as we know, the first available
message type value is 143 (141 and 142 are experimental assignments for
mtrace messages). But before releasing a new, corrected version of the
draft, we would like to officially request the assignment of this value
(143) for MLDv2 reports.

We would appreciate if you could give us a hint on how to proceed in
order to do these allocations. Maybe you've already faced a similar
situation. Or can we just release the new version of the draft, with the
considered values, and hope that IANA will confirm our assignments?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Rolland Vida
Luis Costa

--
______________________________________________________
Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler - Albert Einstein

Rolland VIDA - Ph.D. student
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie
Laboratoire LIP6-CNRS, 8, rue du Capitaine Scott
Tel: +33 (0) 1 44 27 71 26              Fax: +33 (0) 1 44 27 74 95
E-mail: [email-masked]           Web: http://www-rp.lip6.fr/~vida
______________________________________________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------