Subject: RE: IPv4-addresses

From: Anssi Porttikivi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:44:53 +0300

Linsda, start with this excellent article:

BGP-system usage of 32 bit Internet address space
http://moat.nlanr.net/IPaddrocc/

And here is an informative and insightful mail message which speaks on the
subject:
John Gilmore: "IP address space allocation: not a crisis, let's lighten up"
http://www.icann.org/comments-mail/comment-aso/msg00027.html

Ceterum censeo we need a higher level (transport level / socket level)
binary protocol which runs transparently on top of different network level
standards. Thus we get rid of the requirement for a one and only low level
(network level) standard. See Plan 9 and Inferno 9P/2000P protocols for how
to do this right (essentially UUCP as the next millennium version). They
have a perfect candidate of a protocol that would work both as a high level
distributed object access standard (including file access) AND as link layer
abstraction standard. Network layer would not be needed, we would use what
would be essentially "source routing", maybe combined with a distributed
UUCP pathalias like "router server" mechanism. See
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/5/0intro

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Olofsson Hoff [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 24. huhtikuuta 2001 18:49
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IPv4-addresses

Hi!

My name is Linda and I am writing a thesis about IPv6 and I am wondering
if you've made some investigation/estimation about when we are out of IPv4
addresses?

Magazines report different numbers but do not tell why and they doesn't
direct to any examination.

Can you help me?

Grateful for answers!

Linda from Sweden 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------