Subject: RE: more comments(questions)aboutdraft-draves-ipngwg-router-selection-01.txt

From: "Richard Draves" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:30:25 -0700

> I don't know, but if this (i.e. a "black-hole" preference) is 
> the only possibility, why don't you just define it in the 
> (next revision of) the draft?  It would ensure the best 
> (future) interoperability.

Because defining and implementing it properly is complicated, and it's
not clear if it's worth the trouble.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 03:44:46 +0900

>>>>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:30:25 -0700, 
>>>>> "Richard Draves" <[email-masked]> said:

> not clear if it's worth the trouble.

Then I'd suggest to add the following logic to the draft.

  a host should treat an RA with the reserved preference as if it has
  the 0 router lifetime field, because the only known possibility of
  the usage of the reserved value is a "black-hole" preference.  but
  the current draft does not specify the semantics, because ... (your
  rationale).  To insure future interoperability, the reserved value
  should not be used with other semantics than a kind of the
  "black-hole" preference.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------