Subject: Protocol Action: Extensions to IPv6 Neighbor Discovery for Inverse Discovery Specification to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 15:31:02 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Extensions to IPv6 Neighbor
Discovery for Inverse Discovery Specification'
<draft-ietf-ion-ipv6-ind-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document
is the product of the IPNG Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are
Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This protocol describes extensions to the IPv6 Neighbor Discovery that
allow a node to determine and advertise an IPv6 address corresponding
to a given link-layer address. The extensions are called Inverse
Neighbor Discovery. They were originally developed for Frame Relay
networks but may also apply to other networks with similar behavior.

Working Group Summary

This document was originally developed within the ION WG but was moved
to the IPng WG because it extended IPv6's Neighbor Discovery. There
was concensus in the WG for the extensions defined in this document.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.

Note to RFC Editor:

In the "References" section, there is a work in progress that
needs to be updated:

        [IPv6-FR] citation needs to have the title change:
        "Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Frame Relay",
        and update with its RFC number - RFC 2590, May 1999.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------