Subject: a tiny comment on getnameinfo (rfc2553bis-03)

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:14:03 +0900

(Probably someone has already raised the issues...)

Section 6.2 of draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2553bis-03.txt has the following
text:

  If the argument node is non-NULL and the argument nodelen is nonzero,
  then the argument node points to a buffer able to contain up to nodelen
  characters that will receive the node name as a null-terminated string.
  If the argument node is NULL or the argument nodelen is zero, the node
  name will not be returned. If the node's name cannot be located, the
  numeric form of the nodes address is returned instead of its name. If
  the sa argument is an IPv6 address the returned nodename may be in the
  format as defined in [5].

However, the corresponding function prototype just described before
the paragraph does not contain the arguments "node" and "nodelen":

   int getnameinfo(const struct sockaddr *sa, socklen_t salen,
                       char *host, socklen_t hostlen,
                       char *serv, socklen_t servlen,
                         int flags);

I think the notation should be consistent;  if we leave the function
prototype as is, then the text should be rewritten using "host"
instead of "node", and "hostlen" instead of "nodelen".

Similarly, a succeeding paragraph has a same kind of problem:

  If the argument service is non-NULL and the argument servicelen is
  nonzero, then the argument service points to a buffer able to contain up
  to servicelen characters that will receive the service name as a null-
  terminated string. If the argument service is NULL or the argument
  servicelen is zero, the service name will not be returned. If the
  service name cannot be located, the numeric form of the service address
  (for example, its port number) is returned instead of its name.

there are no variables "service" and "servicelen" in the prototype.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jack McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:42:54 -0400 (EDT)

This is fixed in the Austin spec (http://www.opengroup.org/austin)
and so should get folded back into rfc2553bis when the two specs
are aligned.