Subject: RE: draft-rajahalme-ipv6-flow-label-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:11:55 -0000

Hesham,
 
> I had a preliminary idea and was going to write something
> about it. Basically the sender can generate the flow label
> based on a hash of the source and destination port numbers. 
> This is straight forward enough. If we want to make it 
> more sophisticated then we can add another number 
> to the hash input (e.g P1 || P2 || x).
> Where x can be something specific to this flow. But
> I think P1 and P2 are enough. 

I guess this doesn't work where the source is setting up flows to more than
one destination using the same source and destination port numbers. So I
think you need to include destination address in the hash computation as
well.

Mat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------