Subject: RE: [L2tpext] IP Tunnel MIB

From: "Daniel Feldman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:40:02 +0200

...the problem is there is no IP Tunnel MIB for IPv6 networks...

-----Original Message-----
From: Evan Caves [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 11:33 PM
To: Klausberger Walter
Cc: Daniel Feldman; W. Mark Townsley; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: [L2tpext] IP Tunnel MIB

inline

Klausberger Walter wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I think the Tunnel MIB was fine, when it was defined, but I do not
think
>that it was a very good idea to use it as base for L2TP. 
>

This last comment does not make any sense. Using the IP Tunnel MIB as a 
base mib for IPv4
tunneling strategies was its intent. L2TP used it because it was 
supposed to.

>Maybe you could do
>a fast adaptation by changing TOS to traffic class and the like, but
don't
>we need additional enhancements in the near future. The tunnel MIB is
fixed
>to IPv4.
The IP Tunnel MIB specifically states that it manages tunnels over IPv4 
networks, period, and
that tunnels over other networks will require their own management
support.

>
>
>I had some discussion with Evan Caves and Dave Thaler during the San
Diego
>meeting a year ago. This MIB fits for all kind of statically used
tunnels
>over IPv4, but I found a lot of problems together with dynamically
created
>tunnels (in LAC case via RADIUS) and L2TP over ATM/Frame Relay (e.g.
>endpoint identifier, security,...).
>
If there are problems with the current MIB definitions then they should 
be discussed and rectified
if necessary.

>
>
>Now we have this new case with IPv6. Next may be MPLS or something
else.
>Shouldn't we consider an alternativ to the Tunnel MIB as part of a new
MIB
>for L2TP, which is still no RFC (I wonder if it will ever become an
RFC)? Or
>should we think of an advanced version of a more generic Tunnel MIB.
>
>Or should we make a seperate MIB for L2TP over IPv6? (then we should do
be
>more flexible than the Tunnel MIB)?
>
If an IP Tunnel MIB for IPv6 networks is defined then L2TP will use that

as a base.

evan
-

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Evan Caves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:48:04 -0800

Then volunteer to write one :-).

evan
-