Subject: Re: Flow Label

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:04:38 -0500 (EST)

> If by this you mean that the flow label is not covered
> by AH 

nope - I mean that it is not encrypted thus it can be seen by the
routers

Scott
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 11:16:02 -0800

> nope - I mean that it is not encrypted thus it can be seen by the

Ah, I think I see what you are getting at.

The transited network can see the source/destination address,
and the flow label. Thus, if the flow label acts as a proxy
for the protocol type and port number, the transited
network can still obtain a certain amount of information
on the packet contents.

Good point. 

            jak

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 11:36:30 -0800

> network can still obtain a certain amount of information

do not equate ip/port with class of service.  they could be quite
unrelated.