Subject: Re: Why not TCPng?

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 22:02:09 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, ryan elson writes:
>Forgive me my ignorant?  Is that a question?
>
And your Chinese is error-free?

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb
		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Wojtek Zlobicki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:18:18 -0500

I think that a lot less people want to mess with TCP (partially due to the
fact that they do not understand it as well).  TCP is still a very
misunderstood protocol.  TCP and IP also compromise people from two
different camps (they guys that speak IP may not really know a great deal
about TCP).  Routing and TCP have little to do with one another (they do
rely on one another but there is a lot of obstruction between the layers). A
lot of issues such as interoperability are much harder to deal with at the
higher layers.  Not only will TCP need to be re-written, but so will many
applications (so that they can deal with the IPv6 address format).

Please ignore people like Ryan.  Your English is better than what I see from
native English speakers on some mailing lists.

Here is a link that you may find interesting (found by searching for TCPNG
on google)

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94dec/tsv/tcpng.html

> Hello!
>     I'm studying IPv6 and there is a question haunting around me. IPv6 is
> created to solve the deficiency of IPv4. While AFAIK, there are also some
> shortage in current TCP/UDP which is the upper layer of IP. But I only see
> the IPng, why no one touch TCPng or UDPng? There must be some reason for
it
> which I don't know. Can some one kindly enough to tell me why?
>    Forgive me my ignorant. : )
>
>
> Best regards
> Zhang Hong
>
>

---

From: "zhang hong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:46:08 +0800

Thank you!
Thanks for all the people who really want to help others!

Best regards
Zhang hong