Subject: Re: Flow Label

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:24:56 -0500 (EST)

> No, because it's mutable. We need sonmeting that *isn't* mutable
> and *does* have semantics for classification.

see previous note - I do not see a reason to think that an immutable
field will actually be useful for QoS in teh real world

Scott
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Subrata Goswami" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 09:13:52 -0800

As the flow bits have not been defined well, not used much, 
not deployed and QoS is all ready handled by both Diffserv and
Intsev why  not assign a different meaning to these bits 
which can have implications beyond silicon.

One suggestion - rather then assigning flow semantics to 
the 20 bits, how about assigning a semantics of planes ? In this
way the cloud of internet is divided into 4K different planes
with traffic from one plane not routed to another plan (in other
words immutable bits). The 0x00 plane would be the default best
effort Internet. The 0x01 plane would be for say VoIP Internet
with MTU let us say 200 etc. The 0x1001 would be for say 
provider X's autonomous network. etc.

Subrata

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Scott Bradner
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2001 8:25 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Flow Label

Scott