Subject: For which addresses you actually do ND and DAD?

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 00:49:51 +0200

Our IPv6 stack allows one to ifconfig to configure any IPv6 address as
an additional address for the interface. Now, someone configured an
address like

   "::ipv4"

and I suddenly realised, that the stack does DAD using that address,
and recognizes the standard solicited node multicast address that gets
generated from "::ipv4" type addresses!

Furthermore, when a ONLINK route "::/96" is configured, it will do ND
for the addresses.

 a) Should it do this?

 b) Should the behaviour be (dis)allowed by configuration?

 c) Totally forbidden?

If answer it either (b) or (c), I would further like to know, which
weird addresses belong to this group? (If (a), then I leave the code
as is).

Can they be recognized by "::/64", for example?

Unless this is already specified somewhere (I must have missed it
somehow?), then I think the differentiating rule should be cast into
stone very quickly, because these tend to be hardcoded in the
implementations.

-- 
Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------