Subject: IANA guidelins on assigning IPv6 multicast addresses

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:50:05 -0500

At the plenary last week, Christian asked about getting IANA to assign
an IPv6 multicast address. Poking around a bit, I can't find the
process under which IANA assigns IPv6 multicast addresses documented.

RFC 2780 says:

> 5.4.3 IPv6 Multicast Addresses
> 
>    IPv6 multicast addresses are defined in [V6AD]. They are identified
>    by a FP of 0xFF.  Assignment guidelines for IPv6 multicast addresses
>    are described in [MASGN].

>    [MASGN]  Hinden, R. and S. Deering, "IPv6 Multicast Address
>             Assignments", RFC 2375, July 1998.

But 2375 says:

>    [ADDRARCH] defines rules for assigning new IPv6 multicast addresses.

>    [ADDARCH] Hinden, R., and S. Deering, "IP Version 6 Addressing
>              Architecture", RFC 2373, July 1998.

But 2373 doesn't seem to say anything about this.

Is the procedure documented someplace else that I've missed?

If not, it seems like son-of-2373 should fix this, i.e.,
draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-07.txt.

Thomas
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:10:34 -0500

Thomas,
     What about draft-ietf-malloc-ipv6-guide-04.txt?

Brian