Subject: Re: draft-rajahalme-ipv6-flow-label-00.txt

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:19:51 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, Brian E Carpenter writes:
>We can note the discrepancy, but I doubt if we can change
>IPSEC at this point in time.
>

Of course, IPsec excludes the flow label from AH because at the time 
IPsec was being standardized, the v6 folks didn't know what they wanted 
to do with that field.  

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb
		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Tony Hain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:37:21 -0800

> IPsec was being standardized, the v6 folks didn't know what

Which is still the case, with the exception that it really needs to be
restricted to immutable because it is the only head field left to do
that with.

Tony