Subject: Re: Flow Label

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 08:50:53 -0500 (EST)

Perry sez:
> My personal taste is that we rename the field "Reserved -- must be
> zero" so that people quit coming up with proposals just because, as
> one person at Salt Lake City put it, "it is embarrassing that we have a
> flow label field but nothing uses it so we should come up with a use"

I agree with this

Scott
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:54:32 +0100

> > flow label field but nothing uses it so we should come up with a use"

I don't recall anyone saying that. I believe I said something along the
lines of "we should either define the use, or define the field
as reserved MBZ" because anything else just confuses everybody. I will
come back to why I think MBZ is the wrong answer.

  Brian