Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-deering-ipv6-encap-addr-deletion-00.txt (fwd)

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 00:25:23 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, JJ Behrens wrote:
> If the mn tries to send an ICMP message compaining that the packet is
> source routed, does it send the ICMP message by way of reversing the route
> used up to that point?

ICMP message would not be source routed.  Regular replies could be if the
packet had been authenticated with AH.

> If so, isn't that just as bad as allowing source routing (i.e. exploits
> are equally possible)?  If so, dropping the packet is the appropriate
> action over sending an ICMP message.

I'm slightly favouring the silent discard of the packet, but that
basically requires that there's clear view on what the default setting
is/should be.  It appears this is not currently the case.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JJ Behrens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:21:04 -0800 (PST)

Humbly Submitted,
-jj