Subject: Re: Proposed IPv6 DNS Discovery Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 13:00:14 +0900

>(Now that I mention it, perhaps DHCP relays ought also to be replaced
>by the use of a well-known, site-local anycast address.)

	question i have is, can we really depend on availability of multicast
	routing infrastructure in a site.  there are lots of proposals that
	assume it, however, implementation status is, i have to say, rather
	poor.

itoun
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 01:39:07 -0400

people have successfully used v4 anycast for long-lived (O(hour) tcp
sessions.  it may be ill-advised, but was successful.

if you want to say "don't use for long-lived sessions," that is at
least honest and breaks nothing.  but don't disable the major use
of the function as collateral civilian damage on your moral crusade.

randy

---

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 17:35:48 -0400

Randy,

> of the function as collateral civilian damage on your moral crusade.

I could not parse your response?  What does the above mean?  Whats your message here?

thanks
/jim

---

From: "BELOEIL Luc FTRD/DMI/CAE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:15:23 +0200

Hi, 

A few comments again :

1/  I do not really understand what you mean by "2. Hosts obtain DNS
configuration with no manual configuration"
What is "DNS configuration" ? Do you mean the host must be able to
acquire by that mechanism its default domain search path as you can have
in resolv.conf file under Unix system ? I would not agree with that, it
would be a DNS issue not a network issue. 

The purpose is only to reach DNS servers without manual configuration on
the host.

2/ I feel ill-at-ease with you first requirements "1. Host receives IPv6
address(es) of DNS server(s) available to the
 host for DNS resolution"
Do you mean that a host should maintain a dynamic list of available IPv6
address(es) of DNS servers(s) ? I'm not sure that would be a good idea.

3/ I would have written in the place of your two first requirements:
"1. Host can reach any DNS servers available to the host for DNS
resolution."

Luc

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]]

- Ralph

IPv6 DNS Configuration Requirements
------------------------------------

  1. Host receives IPv6 address(es) of DNS server(s) available to the
     host for DNS resolution
     1.a. The list of servers includes only currently available
          servers
     1.b. The host can obtain the addresses of new servers as needed
  2. Hosts obtain DNS configuration with no manual configuration