Subject: New Version of "IPv6 Node Information Queries"

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 11:06:23 -0700

A new version of "IPv6 Node Information Queries" was published recently.

	Title		: IPv6 Node Information Queries
	Author(s)	: M. Crawford
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-name-lookups-09.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 20-May-02

After discussion with the Internet AD's an applicability statement was 
added to this draft.  This should resolve the issues raised during the IETF 
last call regarding the scope of usage for the mechanisms in this draft.

The applicability statement limits usage to diagnostic and debugging tools 
and is based on experience with current implementations of these 
mechanisms.  An example of IPv6 debugging tools using "IPv6 Node 
Information Queries" is the PING6 program in the KAME IPv6 implementation 
that is used in most BSD distributions, MacOS X, JunOS, and 
ExtremeWare.  Similar tools are also included in USAGI (Linux) IPv6 stack.

The applicability statement is section 6 of the draft and is follows:

  6. Applicability Statement

     IPv6 Node Information Queries include the capability to provide
     forward and reverse name lookups independent of the DNS by sending
     packets directly to IPv6 nodes or groups of nodes.

     The applicability of these mechanics is currently limited to
     diagnostic and debugging tools.  These mechanisms can be used to
     learn the addresses and names for nodes on the other end of a
     point-to-point link or nodes on a shared-medium link such as an
     Ethernet.  This is very useful when debugging problems or when
     bringing up IPv6 service where there isn't global routing or DNS
     name services available.  IPv6's large auto-configured addresses
     make debugging network problems and bringing up IPv6 service
     difficult without these mechanisms.  An example of a IPv6 debugging
     tool using IPv6 Node Information Queries is the ping6 program in the
     KAME, USAGI, and other IPv6 implementations [KAME].

     The mechanisms defined in this document may have wider applicability
     in the future (for example, name lookups in zero configuration
     networks, global reverse name lookups, etc.), but any use beyond
     debugging and diagnostic tools is left for further study and is
     beyond the scope of this document.

The AD's have indicated that they will do another IETF last call for 
Proposed Standard given the length of time since the previous IETF last call.

Bob

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------