Subject: Anycast Addresses being used for Nodes not just Routers

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 17:57:59 -0400

What do we think we need to do to get the requirement that only Routers can have anycast addresses changed to "nodes".

IETF Work draft-yanjun-lbam-ipv6-00.txt is a good example of the use of anycast for non-router systems that are very important for the Internet and IPv6.

regards,
/jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 10:47:06 +0900

>What do we think we need to do to get the requirement that only
>Routers can have anycast addresses changed to "nodes".

	see section 3.1 of draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-anycast-analysis-00.txt.
	- it is easy and possible without any protocol development if you are
	  okay with running routing daemon on anycast hosts.
	- if not, progress anycast listener discovery document.  in this case
	  the issue is time to market (routers have to be upgraded to
	  support it).

	(it's in IESG queue for more than 6 months, so i-d is marked expired -
	but i think it okay)

itojun

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 22:39:07 -0400 (EDT)

Which ID do you mean by "anycast listener discovery" document?
draft-vida-mld-v2-02.txt?

- Ralph

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 11:55:40 +0900

>draft-vida-mld-v2-02.txt?

	in my mind, it was haberman-ipngwg-host-anycast-00.txt.

itojun

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 09:27:33 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Bound, Jim wrote:
> What do we think we need to do to get the requirement that only Routers
> can have anycast addresses changed to "nodes".
> 
> IETF Work draft-yanjun-lbam-ipv6-00.txt is a good example of the use of
> anycast for non-router systems that are very important for the Internet
> and IPv6.

I've been trying to push the changing of this:

	o An anycast address must not be assigned to an IPv6 host, that
	  is, it may be assigned to an IPv6 router only.

in addr-arch-v3-07 to change 'must' to a 'should' for some time now, with 
not much progress.

I think this is one item that should be changed before addr-arch is done 
with in the IESG and locked for a few years.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords