Subject: how can i get all hosts addresses

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 17:35:03 +0900

I'd like to get all hosts addresses in small network, can i get these
addresses usign multicast ?
Otherwise, do i reserve specific multicast address for this purpose ?
 
Thank in advance

-Daniel

=====================================
     Soohong Daniel Park
     Research Engineer
     Mobile Platform Group
     Digital Media R&D Center
     Samsung Electronics Co.,LTD

     TEL:+82-31-200-3728
     FAX:+82-31-200-3147
     H.P:+82-11-9950-4655
      <mailto:[email-masked]> mailto:[email-masked]
=====================================

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:48:30 +0100

> addresses usign multicast ?

See http://www.join.uni-muenster.de/rfc/rfc2375.txt

	-is

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 18:58:36 +0900

>>>>> On Mon, 04 Nov 2002 17:35:03 +0900, 
>>>>> Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]> said:

> Otherwise, do i reserve specific multicast address for this purpose ?

If the "small network" is a single link, and if you just need one
address per host, then you can send an ICMPv6 echo request to ff02::1
and collect the source addresses of echo replies.

If the "small network" is a single link, but if you need all addresses
for each host, you could use IPv6 node information queries (described
in draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-name-lookups-09.txt).  However, I suspect
that not many (types of) IPv6 implementations support this.

Of course, either approach is not 100% reliable, because queries and
responses may be dropped.

If the "small network" is larger than a single link, you can't do that
without some protocol extensions.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Tony Hain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:04:22 -0800

Your best option would be to define a site-scope multicast for this
purpose.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Soohong Daniel Park
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 12:35 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: how can i get all hosts addresses

Thank in advance

-Daniel

     TEL:+82-31-200-3728
     FAX:+82-31-200-3147
     H.P:+82-11-9950-4655
     mailto:[email-masked]
=====================================