Subject: RE: SUMMARY: RE: Limiting the Use of Site-Local

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 12:49:03 -0800

> Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> However, there are significant questions about what
> site-local provides,

This is not the point. Nobody cares about what they provide, as long as
customers want them.

> Ideally, we'd like to construct the IPv6 protocol, the
> IPv6 address allocations policies, etc. to promote a
> flatter and more end-to-end architecture in the IPv6
> Internet. 

Everybody wants this, what does it have to do with site-local addresses?
The scope is not the same nor the intended use. Site-locals are *not*
for the Internet.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 16:01:28 -0500

>The scope is not the same nor the intended use. Site-locals are *not*

Michel, as far as I know, no one is advocating that we
eliminate or deprecate site-locals for non-Internet-connected
networks.

The problems arise when a single network has both site-local
and global prefixes, resulting in nodes that have site-local
and global addresses.

Margaret