Subject: Re: My conclusion re site-local clean-up

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:08:06 -0500

How about a compromise on the wording....

Site-local addresses are designed to be used for addressing inside of a
site which is not ppermanently connected to the Internet. Use of site-local
addresses on networks with external connectivity (especially in the absence
of global addresses) is known to cause problems with some applications, and
such use is currently not recommended. This recommendation may be changed
once the implications of application use of site-local addresses are better
understood. When using site local addresses, a subnet ID may be up to
54-bits long, but it is recommended to use at most 16-bit subnet IDs, for
convenience of subnet management.

I also recommend that a range of IP numbers be reserved for use as
site-local addresses. This will prevent the rogue network administrator
from picking addresses from the air. This range would be non-routable
outside the local site.

Keith Moore <[email-masked]>@sunroof.eng.sun.com on 11/14/2002 08:54:32
AM

Sent by:    [email-masked]

To:    Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
cc:    [email-masked]

Subject:    Re: My conclusion re site-local clean-up

>    Site-local addresses are designed to be used for addressing inside of
>    a site which is not permanently connected to the Internet. Using
>    site-local addresses, a subnet ID may be up to 54-bits long, but it
>    is recommended to use at most 16-bit subnet IDs, for convenience of
>    subnet management.

I really don't think this is sufficient.  First because SLs don't work
for a network that has any connection to another network (it doesn't
have to be the public Internet), and second because it says nothing
at all about the problems with SLs.

I suggest

Site-local addresses are designed to be used for addressing inside of
networks which have no connections to external networks.  Other networks
need to provide global addresses to their nodes.  Use of site-local
addresses on networks with external connectivity (especially in the
absence of global addresses) is known to cause problems for some
applications, and such use is currently not recommended.  This
recommendation
may be changed once the implications of application use of site-locals
are better understood.  When using site-local addresses, a subnet ID may
be up to 54-bits long, but it is recommended to use at most 16-bit subnet
IDs, for convenience of subnet management.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:23:26 -0500

> site which is not ppermanently connected to the Internet. 

I still think this is misleading - something like "no stable connection
to an external network" might be closer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:35:39 -0500

>from picking addresses from the air. This range would be non-routable

Are you talking about a range other than FECO::/10?

Margaret

---

From: "Fred L. Templin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:20:29 -0800

> Are you talking about a range other than FECO::/10?

I'd like to propose F000:/4

Fred Templin
[email-masked]