Subject: RE: draft-ietf-ipv6-default-addr-select-09.txt

From: "Richard Draves" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:42:36 -0800

Folks,

As you might know draft-ietf-ipv6-default-addr-select-09.txt passed IESG
review and is with the RFC Editor. While reviewing the references we
noticed that the reference to Mobile IPv6 is probably normative, because
the address selection rules refer to home addresses and care-of
addresses. To break this dependency, we plan to add the following
subsection (this is the only change):

3.5. Mobility Addresses 

   Some nodes may support mobility using the concepts of a home address 
   and a care-of address (for example see [5]). Conceptually, a home 
   address is an IP address assigned to a mobile node and used as the 
   permanent address of the mobile node. A care-of address is an IP 
   address associated with a mobile node while visiting a foreign link. 
   When a mobile node is on its home link, it may have an address that 
   is simultaneously a home address and a care-of address. 
 
   For the purposes of this document, it is sufficient to know whether 
   or not an address is designated a home address or care-of address. 
   Whether or not an address should be designated a home address or 
   care-of address is outside the scope of this document. 

Please speak up if you object to this change. I know some folks object
to other aspects of draft-ietf-ipv6-default-addr-select-09 but for this
discussion thread please restrict your comments to this specific change.

Thanks,
Rich

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:51:16 +0100

I have no problem with this change, and I think it
is editorial rather than substantive.

   Brian