Subject: Re: "unique enough" generation

From: Dan Lanciani <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:25:34 -0500 (EST)

Pekka Savola <[email-masked]> wrote:

|I'm assuming that for the intents and purposes of replacing 
|"local" site-locals, "nearly unique" site-locals would be enough.

[...]
|It appears to me that we have a very obvious and clear solution here, not 
|even requiring any IANA/IESG action to get kickstarted.

A solution to which problem exactly?  I'm all in favor of unique site locals,
but I don't see how they eliminate the need to deal with scopes.  They are
extremely attractive in that they will allow us to interconnect sites with
dynamic tunnels, bypassing ISP restrictions on address count and stability.
By treating "native" aggregated addresses in effect as routes we can easily
build a distributed routing layer that scales indefinitely and hides all the
problems of unstable addresses from the applications.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:43:43 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Dan Lanciani wrote:
> A solution to which problem exactly?  

Look at Christian Huitema's mail today.  The only thing this can't provide 
is global routability.

> I'm all in favor of unique site locals,
> but I don't see how they eliminate the need to deal with scopes.  

I'm not sure why we'd have to be able to kill scopes.

> They are

I don't see any significant problems which would prevent this, even though 
we may still want to prevent the use of these site-locals to disconnected 
or semi-disconnected sites.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords