Subject: Prefix delegation status

From: "NOISETTE Yoann FTRD/DMI/CAE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:29:57 +0100

Hi all,

The prefix delegation document is one of the documents that is set as priority for ipv6 WG, as it appears in the updated charter.
However, in the same time, zerouter works on the subnet assignment topic. Even if the zerouter charter is to be extended, the subnet allocation topic will remain one of importance and presentations of solutions have been made in Atlanta in this context. 
Zerouter limits its scope to solutions that support 10s of links networks. If we consider that prefix delegation is to be deployed mainly in SOHOs (as big companies will certainly manage their subnet allocation differently), then the requirements document could fit in the work provided by zerouter... therefore, leading to move the requirements document from ipv6 to zerouter...
Moreover, apart from the DHCPv6-option and RA proxy solutions, the other solutions for prefix delegation are no WG items, so they are actually considered as interesting documents for zerouter. Wouldn't it be better (apart from the DHCP solution which is DHCP specific) to gather all this work and propositions in zerouter ?

Yoann

---

From: Ole Troan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:18:37 +0000

> The prefix delegation document is one of the documents that is set as
> priority for ipv6 WG, as it appears in the updated charter.  However,
> in the same time, zerouter works on the subnet assignment topic. Even
> if the zerouter charter is to be extended, the subnet allocation topic
> will remain one of importance and presentations of solutions have been
> made in Atlanta in this context.  Zerouter limits its scope to
> solutions that support 10s of links networks. If we consider that
> prefix delegation is to be deployed mainly in SOHOs (as big companies
> will certainly manage their subnet allocation differently), then the
> requirements document could fit in the work provided by
> zerouter... therefore, leading to move the requirements document from
> ipv6 to zerouter...  Moreover, apart from the DHCPv6-option and RA
> proxy solutions, the other solutions for prefix delegation are no WG
> items, so they are actually considered as interesting documents for
> zerouter. Wouldn't it be better (apart from the DHCP solution which is
> DHCP specific) to gather all this work and propositions in zerouter ?

I don't think so.

Prefix delegation and router auto-configuration are different
problems. Prefix delegation is trying to solve the problem of
delegating a prefix across an administrative boundary between two
routers. Zerorouter is working on the much larger problem of
auto-configuring routers within a domain of arbitrary complex
topology. Zerorouter may need prefix delegation, and PD solutions may
be a part of the total zerorouter solution.

/ot
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------