Subject: RE: Limiting the Use of Site-Local

From: Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Nov 2002 14:36:49 +1100

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 04:47, Richard Draves wrote:
> > Obviously my last two models don't really fit the idea that 
> > site-local addressing is to cover a single geographical site.
> 
> Why do you think that site-local addressing is tied to geography in any
> way?

A few reasons :

1) because of the name ?! the word "site" in common english has
geographical connotations.

2) the explanation in the Scoped Addressing Architecture RFCs / drafts :

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-scoping-arch-04.txt

--
 o Site-local scope, for uniquely identifying interfaces 
              within a single site only.  A "site" is, by intent, not 
              rigorously defined, but is typically expected to cover a 
              region of topology that belongs to a single organization 
              and is located within a single geographic location, such 
              as an office, an office complex, or a campus.  A personal 
              residence may be treated as a site (for example, when the 
              residence obtains Internet access via a public Internet 
              service provider), or as a part of a site (for example, 
              when the residence obtains Internet access via an 
              employer's or school's site). 
--

While I appreciate this site definition tries to be a bit vague,
combining it with the name of "site" really says (to me at least) that
site-local addressing has a geographical limit, maybe up to a radius of
3 kilometers or so.

Mark.

> 
> Rich
> 
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
> IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
> FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
> Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
> --------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 07:49:47 -0500

>geographical connotations.

Also, the geographical aspect of a "site" has been used to debunk
several concerns that have been raised about routing in sites
that include more than one location separated by a WAN link.

Margaret