Subject: RE: Limiting the Use of Site-Local

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 11:06:51 -0800

>>> Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:
>>> ....and the day the utility company decides to
>>> outsource the monitoring they will have to renumber
>>> to global addresses anyway.

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> Total nonsense.

> Why? That would be the case i they wanted to connect
> - which is not unlikely for the future. I know cities
> in Sweden where building owners are monitoring the
> utilities via public connections and I know places
> where the road administration uses the public Internet
> for monitoring devices.

This does not add up. Monitoring is one thing, controlling is another
one. If having probes that connect to the Internet is acceptable because
these are read-only, and because there is nothing confidential in the
data, fine. 

The devices that _control_ the flow of current or water, the plane
surfaces, the reactor in a nuclear power plant are quite something else,
and these are *not* on the public internet.

> In you model they would use site-locals, but what
> happens the day they connect to the public Internet?

You don't get the point. The choice of site-locals is a deliberate
choice of *never* connecting a device to the Internet. It's a design
requirement, not a limitation.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 14:19:15 -0500

Hi Michel,

>requirement, not a limitation.

In your model of how site-local would be used, will there be
devices that have both site-local and global addresses?

Margaret

---

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 13:44:55 +0100

> requirement, not a limitation.

If that is the case you can pick address out of the existing address 
space. No need to waste a finite resource.

Best regards,

- kurtis -