Subject: RE: SUMMARY: RE: Limiting the Use of Site-Local

From: Dan Lanciani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:01:03 -0500 (EST)

"Michel Py" <[email-masked]> wrote:

|I believe this would be fine with many, as I can't recall anybody that
|supported site-locals doing it for the site-locals themselves but for
|what they provide, see below.

It's more a matter of supporting scoping and address selection rules for
what they provide.  It doesn't matter what you call the local addresses.

|In short, I think that if there was a /32 allocated to private
|addressing, that is strongly labeled "do NOT route on the public
|Internet", we might find that most networks administrators could not
|care less about site-locals.

Assuming you still provide full support for scopes then I agree with
you.  If you are talking about private address space without a scoping
mechanism to allow seamless integration with global address space then
it won't fly.

|In order not to make this RFC1918-bis, we also need a mention that
|strongly states that these addresses are not to communicate with the
|public Internet in any form or fashion; read my lips: no NAT.

Without functional scoping the only way to mix local addresses and global
access will be NAT.  There's no sense trying to prevent it by decree.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:27:44 -0800

> Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> Changing what number we use for the prefix and/or the
> length of the prefix doesn't change anything...

I guess both Thomas and I were trying to find a way out of this, but if
you're not interested, site-locals stay as they are from former
consensus and I'm happy with it.

Michel.