Subject: ATTENTION: Use of the ipng mailing list

From: Bob Hinden & Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:41:17 -0800

Hi All,

We appreciate the enthusiasm that several of you have shown regarding the 
previous site-local discussion and the current discussion of 
globally-unique, provider-independent addresses. However, these discussions 
are not an effective way to use our mailing list.

There is a limit to the amount of mail that most people can reasonably 
handle, and it is likely that most members of the IPv6 working group have 
been unable to follow these discussions or get much value from them.  No 
useful consensus can be drawn from such discussions.

In order to increase the quality and productivity of our mailing list 
discussions, we would ask people to do the following:

     - Self-limit the rate of your postings to the list.
       Please read to the bottom of the thread before
       responding, think about the points you want
       to make, and avoid making the same points repeatedly.
		
     - Please submit individual Internet-Drafts that describe
       proposed solutions and/or make cases for or
       against the topic at hand.  This is a much
       more effective than e-mail as a way to discuss
       complex topics and reach consensus.

     - Notice when circular discussions are happening
       between a small group of people and stop.
       Rough consensus is not determined or affected
       by who has the last word on a topic, and no
       WG consensus can be drawn from a discussion
       among a small group of people.
		
These steps should help to make our mailing list more useful and productive 
for the entire WG, and your voluntary cooperation is appreciated.  If 
excessive behavior continues, we will contact individuals privately to 
discuss the problems and how to correct them.

Thanks,
Margaret Wasserman & Bob Hinden
IPv6 WG Chairs

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------