Subject: Re: Naming and site-local addresses

From: Dan Lanciani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:30:14 -0500 (EST)

Keith Moore <[email-masked]> wrote:

|> |Neither does it scale to expect all hosts to maintain
|> |enough information to let them do routing.
|> 
|> On the contrary, distributed host-based routing is one of the few solutions
|> that does scale well.  The availability of resources to deal with the routing
|> grows directly in proportion to the consumers of those resources.  
|
|that incorrectly assumes that the only 'resource' in question is cpu time

No.  Apart from all the resources provided by the host itself (including
not only cpu time but also temporary and long-term storage) the aggregate
bandwidth of the network grows as well.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:01:30 -0500

> |> that does scale well.  The availability of resources to deal with the
> |> routing

Not the effective bandwidth as seen by applications that are waiting for
their hosts to determine a route that works in the absence of reliable,
current, and complete information about the network.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------