Subject: RE: Taking two steps back (Was: Re: one question...)

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:46:27 -0800

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> The lack of global routability of site-local addresses
>> is a feature, not a bug.

> Keith Moore wrote:
> I don't think we have concensus on that.

There is a DS in the queue, because it has reached consensus. This is
part of the IPv6 architecture. What lacks consensus is to change this.

> there seem to be at least a few  people who want PI
> a ddresses that *are* routable, or at least, for which
> such restrictions are not imposed.

Including me. This is not incompatible with globally unique, not
globally routable site-locals, but not the same thing either.

> I'm sympathetic to the concerns about routing table size
> and routing computation overhead, but I'm not sure that
> mandatory or even default filtering of GUPIs is the right
> thing in the long term.

There is no relation. What we are trying to do here is to remove the
ambiguity of site-local addresses, not to create globally routable PI.
These are different topics.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:55:18 -0800 (PST)

> These are different topics.

This is not entirely clear. There seems to be a
fair amount of cake-and-eat-it-too going on here
when people start talking about interconnecting
different sites.

		Mike

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:51:21 -0500

> part of the IPv6 architecture. What lacks consensus is to change this.

sorry, I thought you were using "site-local" in a broader sense than
that which is in the these documents.  it's hard to keep track of semantic
drift.

Keith