Subject: RE: Taking two steps back (Was: Re: one question...)

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:30:26 -0800

Keith,

> Keith Moore wrote:
> sorry, I thought you were using "site-local" in a broader
> sense than that which is in the these documents.

What kind of broader sense?

I am sympathetic to ambiguity being a pain in the kazoo, but it does
guarantee to some extend that SLs are not publicly routable. I'm all for
removing ambiguity, but not at the cost of removing the lack of
routability at the same time.

Since you agree that FEC0::/10 should not be used for publicly routable
addresses, what issues do you have with having FEC0::/10 used as
globally unique, not globally routable, site-local addresses (which
could be achieved now) *and* another future block for aggregatable,
globally unique, globally routable addresses (which will take more time
to get)?

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:31:36 -0500

> What kind of broader sense?

people have been talking about globally unique site locals.
 
> routability at the same time.

lack of routability is not entirely a feature.  it's more like a mixed bag.
constraining the routing table might be a laudable goal.  otoh it can't be 
justified from a security standpoint.

> globally unique, globally routable addresses (which will take more time

imho we have too many different kinds of addresses already, and we're putting
way too much burden on the idea that hosts should be able to select which
addresses are best for their purposes and the network conditions.

so while I agree in principle that we can't use FEC0://10 for GUPIs,
I hope that in practice FEC0://10 is mostly used for isolated networks.

Keith