Subject: interface admin status affect on routing and protocol state

From: "Neeraj Bhatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:15:50 -0800

I have few questions on admin control.RFC 2465 defines ipv6IfAdminStatus"
also draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2011-update-01.txt defines ipv4IfAdminStatus and
ipv6InterfaceAdminStatus.

1) RFC 1812 type behavior for IPv6

When IPv6 interface admin status is brought down(2) by explicit management
action ,what is the treatment for routes through that interface.Is it
expected to be same as specified in RFC 1812 section 5.3.12.3 when an
interface Fails or is disabled?

Since the stack is not doing IPv6 traffic the routing protocols cannot send
their packets through that interface too. Would the router be required to
remove and stop advertising such routes?

Is there any difference in the way going down of "ipv6IfAdminStatus" OR
"ifAdminStatus".
effects the routing table?

2)Admin Status affect on Protocols

IMHO state changes to down(2) should produce the effects as below:

a)ipv6InterfaceAdminStatus
1.effects v6 routes
2.effects v6 protocol states(ie informs TCP etc.)

b)ipv4IfAdminStatus
1.affects v4 routes
2.affects v4 protocol states

c)ifAdminStatus
?
Section 3.2.2. in draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2011-update-01.txt states,
"Setting ifAdminStatus to "down" should not affect the protocol
specific status objects."

Shouldn't all the routes (v4 and v6) be affected and protocols be informed
of the link state change?

Thx.
Neeraj

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------