Subject: RE: question regarding possible use of SLs in renumbering

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 14:45:08 -0500

>Yes, it is reasonable to assume that a /48 global prefix corresponds to
>a site-local scope. I wouldn't rule out other arrangements but I think
>this will be the common situation.

Not necessarily.

The issues with global vs. site-local routing in a "site" that
had multiple locations connected by leased lines were dismissed,
because the multiple locations should be more than one "site".
But, even if Wind River would be forced to have 20-something
sites by this rule, we would still probably only have a single
/48 prefix.

Margaret

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:38:16 -0500

> sites by this rule, we would still probably only have a single

this is the sort of thing I was getting at.

I have to conclude that using SLs in a renumbering protocol has
marginal utility at best. 

Keith