Subject: RE: SUMMARY: RE: Limiting the Use of Site-Local

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 13:58:07 -0800

> Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> The problems arise when a single network has both
> site-local and global prefixes, resulting in nodes
> that have site-local and global addresses.

I fail to see what the problem is if the node is a router that has a
global on one interface and a site-local one on another interface.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 19:07:46 -0500

>global on one interface and a site-local one on another interface.

If you have a site-border router in two sites, and the hosts in
one of the sites _only_ have site-local addresses, then you don't
need a router at all, as it will never forward any packets.

The hosts in the site that only has site-local addresses will not
be able to send any packets outside the site, and no hosts from
outside the site will be able to send any packets to them.

Margaret