Subject: RE: assignment of GUPI [RE: Taking two steps back (Was: Re: onequestion...)]

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 08:43:08 -0800

> Keith Moore wrote:
> no, this isn't what my goals are.  I don't want to make
> FEC0::/10s unique, nor do I want to make them globally
> routable. I want to discourage use of that prefix, and
> provide a separate set of addresses which are globally
> unique and routable off-site by private arrangement.
> If at some later date we figure out how to make them
> globally routable, so much the better.

So what is the difference between this new GUPI block and GUSLs, except
that you want a possible evolution to globally routable for the new GUPI
block?

>> Do you call recommending a default blackhole in
>> routers an architectural limitation?

> not sure.  here's the question - let's say that 3 years
> from now we figure out how to make routing of GUPIs scale
> globally.  having biased the last three years' worth of
> routers to filter them, how do we then upgrade the routers
> to not filter them?

The obvious answer is that we create a new block _then_, not now.

>> PI global addresses do NOT exist.
> we've been talking about various proposals for creating
> them since long before Atlanta. where have you been?

Ahem, I am leading this part.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:54:25 -0500

> that you want a possible evolution to globally routable for the new GUPI

problems with GUSLs as an alternative to GUPIs:

- the proposed uses of PI globals change too many assumptions about 
  how SLs were to be used to reuse the FEC0::/10 prefix for that 
  purpose.  

- there were too many conflicting or intractable assumptions about 
  SLs anyway

- we need PI globals that can be routed between sites by private
  agreement anyway.

> The obvious answer is that we create a new block _then_, not now.

no, because we need the block now to solve the problems with SLs.

Keith