Subject: RE: Address allocation schemes (Re: Naming and site-local)

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:57:27 -0800

Margaret,

> But, why make them inherently private, non-routable
> addresses? If we come up with a reasonable way to
> allocate globally-unique, provider-independent
> addresses, is there a reason to require that they
> be non-globally-routable?

Network administrators want private (read: not publicly routable)
addresses. Telling them that they are full of it is not going to change
this, and if they don't have them what you will get instead of
well-known-private is guess-what-I-hijacked private. Take your pick.

> There is some work underway in multi6 regarding
> mechanisms for provider-independent allocation
> of globally routable addresses. Wouldn't that be
> better?

There is no work currently underway in multi6. Multi6 is not chartered
to develop solutions.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 19:06:51 -0500

> addresses.

a) they are not the same thing
b) I also maintain that this is not really what network administrators
   want.  they may equate what they want to this, but see a.

Keith

---

From: John Bartas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:32:13 -0800

Hi All,

	Maybe, but I think most Network administrators understand that using
guess-what-I-hijacked addresses is risky. Instead I bet you'll see them
rolling their own NATv6 solutions. It's lot easier for us v4-ish
old-timers to understand than some of what I've read here today :-)

-JB-

-- 
-JB-

#############################################################
          H
(==)o(==) H John Bartas - Main Propeller head
   _I_    H InterNiche Technologies Inc. (408) 257-8014 x219
  /   \   H 1340 S. DeAnza Blvd. Suite 102
  -----   H San Jose CA 95129
   O O    H [email-masked]
    "     H www.iniche.com
  \___/   H
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------