Subject: RE: MIPv6 and site local addresses

From: "Richard Draves" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:34:44 -0800

> One more apparent headache: a mobile node running mobile IP for IPv6
> (MIPv6) will often be in 2 different domains simultaneously. 
> It's home domain (where it continues to have a Home Address 
> and the domain that it is currently visiting). How does one 
> handle site-locals in this case?

The mobile node is effectively multi-sited in this situation. Here's one
way to implement this. Some (most?) MIPv6 implementations assign the
home address to a virtual interface. Then the virtual interface belongs
to the home site, and the physical interface (which has the care-of
address) belongs to the foreign site.

Rich

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:27:20 -0500

> address) belongs to the foreign site.

I take it that the implication here is that all MNs need to be
multi-sited and support the site scoping document (or equivalent). In
other words, it will need to be widely supported in practice.

Is this really the implication? There is a hope/expectation that very
many nodes will implement MIPv6. It would be nice of MNs wouldn't be
required to implement the scoping document in order to make things
work.

Thomas