Subject: RE: globally unique site local addresses

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:45:47 -0800

Steven,

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> 2. Make these addresses not globally routable, not
>> only by decree but by requiring them being blocked
>> by default and also BGP routes for this range being
>> rejected by default. Ambiguity is somehow a guarantee
>> that these addresses are not publicly routable. If we
>> remove ambiguity, we need to provide something instead
>> to address this.

> Steven Blake wrote:
> This is a business issue between customers and ISPs
> and is none of the IETF's business IMHO.

I don't think so.

First, there is no business relation between the customer and the
carrier in the middle of the cloud.

Second, history has proven that sometimes ISPs don't filter routes; if
they did we would not see a route for 10.0.0.0/8 in the DFZ.

Ambiguity is a fail-safe for routes that leak into the DFZ, even though
they were not supposed to, and for ISPs that don't filter traffic, even
though they were supposed to. In order to remove ambiguity, we must
replace the fail-safe it provides by something else, and that something
else is IMHO a requirement that router vendors implement the necessary
filters as being default configuration.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Steven Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:44:40 -0500

> filters as being default configuration.

What technical problem are you trying to solve?  Are you trying to
prevent inadvertent leakage of prefixes?  Or are you trying to impose
aggregatible prefixes on institutions that may be able to afford other
arrangements?

Regards,

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Steven L. Blake               <[email-masked]>
Ericsson IP Infrastructure                +1 919-472-9913
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------