Subject: draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-03.txt

From: Steven Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:45:32 -0500

Please remove the following paragraph from page 5:

   With [RSVP] or [SDP] either the source or the destination of the flow
   could have a preference for the Flow Label value to be used. For
   example, a destination with multiple sources sending packets to it
   could require all the sources to use the same Flow Label value in
   order to collapse the classifier state to a single flow state entry,
   instead of having separate classifier state for each source (ref. the
   Wildcard-Filter reservation style in [RSVP]). Therefore the source
   SHOULD honor the destination's request to mark the packets with the
   Flow Label value specified.

This is not safe operationally, because there is no way to guarantee that
an unrelated source will not choose the same flow label value for another
flow sent to that same destination.  If we assume that there may be multiple
flow labeling "applications" operating in a router, or between a source/
destination host pair, the consequences of this mis-classification cannot be
predicted.   

Otherwise I am satisfied with the draft.

Regards,

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Steven L. Blake               <[email-masked]>
Ericsson IP Infrastructure                +1 919-472-9913

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------