Subject: RE: question regarding possible use of SLs in renumbering

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 11:31:35 -0800

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> You mean, as a temporary state between renumbering
>> between two global addresses?

> Keith Moore wrote:
> not just then - during a period prior to renumbering,
> during overlap, or afterward, do the scopes of SLs and
> prefixes necessarily coincide?

They might, and the addresses might have a one-to-one relation too.
For example, this kind of scheme will appeal administrators:
2001:xxxx:yyyy:1234:IID
FEC0:0000:0000:1234:IID

> I'm just trying to understand if SLs really do have
> utility in a renumbering protocol.

In theory, yes. In practice, I doubt it though. As Bob mentioned,
configuring SLs is a manual operation; unless there are some new
developments that I am not aware of, I don't see how this could
realistically be automated.

IMHO, the relation between SLs and renumbering is this: SLs are used in
parts of the network that have no access to the public Internet in order
to avoid the renumbering of that part in case of an ISP change on the
part that does have access to the outside. This is especially important
on networks when 95% of the network does *not* have access to the
Internet.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:33:22 -0500

> on networks when 95% of the network does *not* have access to the

using SLs in this way would break applications.  we need to discourage this.

Keith