Subject: RE: Prefix delegation status

From: "NOISETTE Yoann FTRD/DMI/CAE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:58:23 +0100

>>Prefix delegation and router auto-configuration are different
>>problems. Prefix delegation is trying to solve the problem of
>>delegating a prefix across an administrative boundary between two
>>routers. Zerorouter is working on the much larger problem of
>>auto-configuring routers within a domain of arbitrary complex
>>topology.

YN: I agree with you, I didn't mean to say something different, sorry if
my words lead to misunderstanding... 

>>Zerorouter may need prefix delegation, and PD solutions may
>>be a part of the total zerorouter solution.

YN: that's my point. Configuring a router means among many others
acquiring prefixes to advertise on the interfaces (to be brief).
Therefore, prefix delegation may be a part of the whole solution. That's
why I was suggesting getting it into zerouter...

Yoann

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Ole Troan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Envoye : lundi 25 novembre 2002 17:19
A : NOISETTE Yoann FTRD/DMI/CAE
Cc : Zerouter (E-mail); Ipng (E-mail)
Objet : Re: Prefix delegation status

> The prefix delegation document is one of the documents that is set as
> priority for ipv6 WG, as it appears in the updated charter.  However,
> in the same time, zerouter works on the subnet assignment topic. Even
> if the zerouter charter is to be extended, the subnet allocation topic
> will remain one of importance and presentations of solutions have been
> made in Atlanta in this context.  Zerouter limits its scope to
> solutions that support 10s of links networks. If we consider that
> prefix delegation is to be deployed mainly in SOHOs (as big companies
> will certainly manage their subnet allocation differently), then the
> requirements document could fit in the work provided by
> zerouter... therefore, leading to move the requirements document from
> ipv6 to zerouter...  Moreover, apart from the DHCPv6-option and RA
> proxy solutions, the other solutions for prefix delegation are no WG
> items, so they are actually considered as interesting documents for
> zerouter. Wouldn't it be better (apart from the DHCP solution which is
> DHCP specific) to gather all this work and propositions in zerouter ?

I don't think so.

Prefix delegation and router auto-configuration are different
problems. Prefix delegation is trying to solve the problem of
delegating a prefix across an administrative boundary between two
routers. Zerorouter is working on the much larger problem of
auto-configuring routers within a domain of arbitrary complex
topology. Zerorouter may need prefix delegation, and PD solutions may
be a part of the total zerorouter solution.

/ot

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------