Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-prefix-delegation-requirement-00.txt

From: "BELOEIL Luc FTRD/DMI/CAE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:30:28 +0100

Does anyone think that a validity lifetime should be associated to the
prefix during prefix delegation?

Indeed RAs sent on a link associate a valid lifetime and a preferred
lifetime to the advertised prefixes.

my 0;2%
Luc 

> -----Message d'origine-----
> De : [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Envoye : vendredi 8 novembre 2002 13:35
> A : IETF-Announce
> Cc : [email-masked]
> Objet : I-D 
> ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-prefix-delegation-requirement-00.txt
> 
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line 
> Internet-Drafts directories.
> This draft is a work item of the IP Version 6 Working Group 
> Working Group of the IETF.
> 
> 	Title		: Requirements for IPv6 prefix delegation
> 	Author(s)	: S. Miyakawa
> 	Filename	: 
> draft-ietf-ipv6-prefix-delegation-requirement-00.txt
> 	Pages		: 0
> 	Date		: 2002-11-7
> 	
> This document describes requirements about how an IPv6 address prefix
> should be delegated to an IPv6 subscriber's  network (or 'site').
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-prefix-del
egation-requirement-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipv6-prefix-delegation-requirement-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-prefix-delegation-requirement-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 11:10:23 -0500

> prefix during prefix delegation?

Absolutely.

> lifetime to the advertised prefixes.

If your prefix is delegated to you, the delegating entity has to
provide a lifetime in order for the requestor to build meaningful
RAs.

Brian

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 11:16:28 -0500

>>prefix during prefix delegation?

I agree - but with a slight clarification: the delegator associates an 
"expiration time" with the delegated prefix, which defines the time after 
which the requestor can't use the delegated prefix.  The requestor then 
chooses preferred and valid lifetimes (presumably not greater than the 
expiration time on the delegated prefix) for the prefix.

I think the requestor should be able to choose lifetimes that are shorter 
than the delegation duration from the delegator, and using a different term 
like "expiration time" would be clarifying.

- Ralph

---

From: Shin Miyakawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 21:25:39 +0900 (JST)

> prefix during prefix delegation?

that's a good point.

> lifetime to the advertised prefixes.

I would like to  take this idea to the next draft. thanks.

Shin Miyakawa