Subject: RE: SUMMARY: RE: Limiting the Use of Site-Local

From: "Hesham Soliman (EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 15:50:45 +0100

Hi Margaret

  > I have offered to write a document that explains my thoughts on
  > the above issues, with a little help from my friends.  It might
  > also be useful for folks who believe that we should not place
  > any limitations on the use of site-local addresses to write a
  > similar document.
  > 
  > What do you guys think?

=> I have a problem with this approach. I don't think
it will help to group the people arguing into 
two separate proposals, one for SLs and one against. 
I can just see another infinite loop in a few months. 
A better approach would be to get someone who's willing
to summarise the discussion into a _single_ draft containing
the pros and cons in an objective manner. This is tricky
and would require the editor to remove his/her biases. But
this is the best way forward IMO. Please do not go with the
two different drafts that represent two different campaigns, 
it does not work. And also please read Jinmei's email which
expresses the same concern that I have.

Hesham
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 10:36:42 -0500

> two separate proposals, one for SLs and one against.

I don't think anyone is arguing entirely against SLs - at least
I don't think anyone believes the group will entirely abolish them.

I do think I see some convergence, with some people who are "pro" SL
grudgingly admitting that they cause more problems than they thought
and people who are "anti" SL (like myself) grudgingly admitting that
SLs might have one or two valid use cases than we had originally thought.

I agree that putting pros and cons of SLs in a single document would 
be better in the long run, though perhaps not for initial drafts.

Keith