Subject: RE: Summary Re: Proposal for site-local clean-up

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 06:44:53 -0500

Margaret,

If this is just a theoretical edge case, then the offices that I support
are mostly theory. Without going into specifics, this IS a real-life case.

Gary

Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>@sunroof.eng.sun.com on 11/13/2002
05:01:25 PM

Sent by:    [email-masked]

To:    "Brian Zill" <[email-masked]>
cc:    "Brian E Carpenter" <[email-masked]>,
       <[email-masked]>

Subject:    RE: Summary Re: Proposal for site-local clean-up

How often do you think that people really set-up a private,
disconnected network and later connect it to the Internet?

Do you think this will be a common real-life case, or is this
more of a theoretical edge case?

Margaret

At 04:51 PM 11/13/02, Brian Zill wrote:
>Brian Carpenter writes:
> > 3. Can't stop NAT's anyway. (several people).
> > That may sadly be true, but we shouldn't publish
> > specs that seem to encourage them.
>
>I would argue the opposite -- *preventing* site-locals and globals from
>co-existing encourages NAT.  We're better off today than we would be
>with that restriction.
>
>Case study: A site has a disconnected network happily using site-locals.
>These addresses get embedded in all sorts of configuration scripts, etc.
>Then they decide to connect to the Internet and get a global prefix from
>their ISP.
>
>Today: They just advertise the new global prefix alongside the
>site-local prefix, all their hard-coded addresses continue to work.
>
>With restriction on mixing site-local and global addresses: They need to
>renumber their network and find all the places addresses have been
>specified in config files and the like.  Or they could just use a v6
>NAT.  Which do you think will happen?
>
>--Brian
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------
>IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
>IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
>FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
>Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
>--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------