Subject: RE: question regarding possible use of SLs in renumbering

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:50:36 -0800

> Keith Moore wrote:
> is it reasonable to assume that if a network is advertising
> one or more global prefixes via ND/RD, that the scope of
> a 'site' for SL addresses corresponds to the scope in which
> those global prefixes are advertised? in other words, would
> it really be reasonable to assume that one could use SL
> addresses in some renumbering protocol and have them be able
> to reach all of the hosts/routers/apps that were affected by
> a prefix change?

You mean, as a temporary state between renumbering between two global
addresses?

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 14:08:46 -0500

> You mean, as a temporary state between renumbering between two global

not just then - during a period prior to renumbering, during overlap, 
or afterward, do the scopes of SLs and prefixes necessarily coincide?

I'm just trying to understand if SLs really do have utility
in a renumbering protocol.  
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------