Subject: Re: My conclusion re site-local clean-up

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:33:15 -0500

Ok, "no stable connection  to an external network" actually does sound
better.

So, if it is worded:

Site-local addresses are designed to be used for addressing inside of a
site with no stable connection to the Internet. Use of site-local addresses
on networks with external connectivity (especially in the absence of global
addresses) is known to cause problems with some applications, and such use
is currently not recommended. This recommendation may be changed once the
implications of application use of site-local addresses are better
understood. When using site local addresses, a subnet ID may be up to
54-bits long, but it is recommended to use at most 16-bit subnet IDs, for
convenience of subnet management.

How does that sound?
Gary

Keith Moore <[email-masked]>@sunroof.eng.sun.com on 11/14/2002 09:23:26
AM

Sent by:    [email-masked]

To:    [email-masked]
cc:    Keith Moore <[email-masked]>, Brian E Carpenter
       <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

Subject:    Re: My conclusion re site-local clean-up

> Site-local addresses are designed to be used for addressing inside of a
> site which is not ppermanently connected to the Internet.

I still think this is misleading - something like "no stable connection
to an external network" might be closer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:03:19 -0500

> site with no stable connection to the Internet.

no that's wrong.  it needs to say ANY external network.