Subject: RE: Summary & some possible long term consequences of GUPI prefixes

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:22:27 -0800

Pekka / Brian

>> Pekka Nikander wrote:
>> More seriously, there would be a tendency to consider
>> GUPI addresses as immutable identifiers for hosts,
>> making the aggretable global PA addresses mere locators.

Not the GUPI address, but a one-to-one relation with a GAPI address, as
we probably want keep the site-local identifier separate from the global
identifier.

>> Thus, it might form a step towards an architecture
>> where identifiers and locators are separated.
>> Now, honestly, I do not know if that would be a good
>> step or not.  

> Brian Carpenter wrote:
> It would be an excellent step, as long as we
> simultaneously architected a way to use this separation
> that is more attractive to enterprises and ISPs than NAT.

I very much agree with this.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------