Subject: RE: Proposal for site-local clean-up

From: "NOISETTE Yoann FTRD/DMI/CAE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:21:07 +0100

Hi all,

I would possibly agree with this change, but it must be clear that some
ongoing work or considered solutions will be restricted or even totally
impossible after this new statement becomes effective.
For instance, draft-ietf-ipv6-dns-discovery-07.txt gives many examples
of a Customer site, using site-local addresses (in particular for DNS
discovery), and this Customer site is connected to an ISP (thus
certainly I presume to the Internet)...

Yoann

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Brian E Carpenter [mailto:[email-masked]]
Envoye : mardi 12 novembre 2002 13:53
A : [email-masked]
Objet : Proposal for site-local clean-up

Unfortunately it's too late to catch the addressing architecture
document unless we recall it from the RFC Editor and cycle it
through the IESG again. But I propose that we do exactly that,
in order to change the following paragraph in section 2.5.6:

Current text:

>    Site-local addresses are designed to be used for addressing inside
of
>    a site without the need for a global prefix.  Although a subnet ID
>    may be up to 54-bits long, it is expected that globally-connected
>    sites will use the same subnet IDs for site-local and global
>    prefixes.

Proposed new text:

   Site-local addresses are designed to be used for addressing inside of
   a site which is not connected to the Internet and therefore does not
   need a global prefix.  They must not be used for a site that is
connected
   to the Internet. Using site-local addresses, a subnet ID may be up to

   54-bits long, but it is recommended to use at most 16-bit subnet IDs,

   for convenience if the site is later connected to the Internet using
a
   global prefix.

Otherwise, we will need a whole new RFC just for this paragraph.

Alternatively, we could spend the next 5 years discussing the
unnecessary complexities of using site-locals on connected sites.

  Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:57:22 -0800

>certainly I presume to the Internet)...
That document could be changed to use global addresses instead of site local
if Brian's proposal gets adopted.

- Alain.