Subject: about IPV6 FIB ..

From: Keshava Ayanur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 21:24:27 +0800

Hi,
	Can I get more information IPV6 FIB?
	Other than 3 fibs (link,site,global) do we need to have anything
	for multicast . 

	More information about IPV6 Fib design document/information 
	Will be help full.

Thanks,
Keshava 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 08:48:07 -0500

Hi Keshava,

>         Other than 3 fibs (link,site,global) do we need to have anything

There is no need to have a link-local FIB, as packets to/from link-local
addresses are never forwarded.

An intra-site node (one that is not capable of being used on a site
border) will need to have two conceptual unicast FIBs (one site-local,
and one global), although it is possible (if desired) to implement them
as a single table.

A site-border node (a router or a multi-interface host that can be
used on a site border) will need to have one global unicast FIB,
and multiple site-local unicast FIBs, one for each attached site.

In most cases, I believe that a mutlicast FIB (if present) will be
separate from the unicast FIBs.

>         More information about IPV6 Fib design document/information

If you haven't read it already, you should read the IPv6 scoped
address architecture which can be found at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-scoping-arch-04.txt

Margaret