Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:09:10 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IPv6 Flow Label Specification
	Author(s)	: J. Rajahalme, A. Conta, B. Carpenter, S. Deering
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-04.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 2002-12-18
	
This document specifies the IPv6 Flow Label field, the requirements
for IPv6 source nodes labeling flows, and the requirements for flow
state establishment methods.
The usage of the Flow Label field enables efficient IPv6 flow
classification based only on IPv6 main header fields in fixed
positions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 19:26:53 +0200

With the -04 version we have addressed the concerns raised on the -03 in the Atlanta meeting. The document structure has been simplified, and the text has been revised with the "minimal but sufficient" target in mind. Hopefully all repetition, as well as most MAYs and most SHOULDs are gone, as they were addressing issues secondary to the flow label specification itself.

The section 3 (former 4) is rearranged to address the need to provide guidance for IPv6 stack implementers. Now it states the absolute minimum of what a stack should do in absence of any flow state establishment methods. It no longer defines any kind of "abstract programming interface", those are better addressed in the API specifications.

The main part of the spec (section 2) no longer contains the statement that nodes should not create state in absence of a defined flow state establishment method. It did not make any sense any more as the default timeout was defined.

	Jarno

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 2:09 PM
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-04.txt
> 
> 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------