Subject: RE: GUSL proposal (very crude)

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:23:44 -0800

Mark,

> Mark Smith wrote:
> Playing the devils advocate ....
> Michel, can you describe, in a real world, nuts and
> bolts manner, where your "site" boundary would be.

I have tried to address this in the GUSL draft (under co-author review,
link to be posted ASAP)

Follows is the tentative text.
Michel.

0. Meaning of "site"

   The word "site" appears to be understood differently by the
   community than it is loosely defined in [ADDRARCH]:
   
   > [ADDRARCH]
   > A "site" is, by intent, not rigorously defined, but is typically
   > expected to cover a region of topology that belongs to a single
   > organization and is located within a single geographic location,
   > such as an office, an office complex, or a campus.  A personal
   > residence may be treated as a site (for example, when the
   > residence obtains Internet access via a public Internet service
   > provider), or as a part of a site (for example, when the
   residence
   > obtains Internet access via an employer's or school's site)
   
   It appears that "site" is used by the community as a shorter form
   of "end site" as described in [IPV6ASSIGN]. By extension, "site"
   has largely been used as a synonymous of "/48" and assimilated to
   the administrative boundaries of the organization being assigned an
   end-site prefix.
   
   This document uses "site" having the same meaning as "end site" as
   described in [IPV6ASSIGN].

[ADDRARCH] Deering, S. and R. Hinden, "IP Version 6 Addressing
Architecture", http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-
addr-arch-v3-11.txt, October 2002.

[IPV6ASSIGN] APNIC, ARIN, RIPE-NCC, "IPv6 Address Allocation and
Assignment Assignment Policy", June 26, 2002.
ftp://ftp.cs.duke.edu/pub/narten/global-ipv6-assign-2002-06-26.txt

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------