Subject: RE: draft-ietf-ipv6-node-requirements-01.txt

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:51:17 +0900

I am interested in home network of course using of IPv6.
When I thought a definition of IPv6 node, I separated two kinds of
nodes,
one is "active IPv6 node" which need to communicate another node and
bidirectional connection
the other is "passive IPv6 node" which is just controlled not try to
access another node and unidirectional connection
As you said below, thermometer is only passive node, therefore it is not
need DNS resolving.
IPv6 node is very very widely, then almost possibility must be
considered not only PC or laptop...
e.g.
active IPv6 node : almost pc, laptop, PDA, hand-held devices, 
passive IPv6 node : thermometer, lighting, washer, refrigerator, some
kinds of home appliances

Daniel

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 10:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-ipv6-node-requirements-01.txt

Hi Daniel,

> 4.5.5 "....Stateful Address Autoconfiguration MAY be supported...." I 
> am confusing "MAY" When above node is fail to obtain stateless address

> autoconfiguration, if node didn't have Stateful AA function, it is 
> impossible to make each own address. so I think "Should" is better.

In what cases will stateless address autoconfiguration fail? If it
fails, there is always the possibility of setting addresses by user
interaction (typing in the addresses).  Stateful is dependent upon
DHCPv6, and users cannot depend that it will be implemented everywhere,
especially 
since it is not a standard yet.

> 4.6.1
> This section is more related mobileip, not general IPv6 node
> requirement.

MobileIP is actually considered as part of IPv6, but I get your point.
This I could move into the MIP section.

> 5.2 "... Not all nodes will need to resolve addresses"
> If yes, how can we obtain wanted address ? , basically we
> don't memorize IPv6 address.

Some nodes will be servers only and only accept incoming requestions.
Think of a thermometer with an IPv6 stack.  It will never need DNS.

> in addition, as 1.2, Desctiption of an IPv6 node is so ambiguous. In 
> this draft, almost requirement is for general node which is pc, laptop

> and that kind of thing. But implemented IPv6 is not only general node 
> but also various devices (home appliance, tiny device and so on)
> then you should write clear definition of IPv6 node.
> Since this requirement will be referred to implement widely, 
> all section must be clear.

It is ambiguous for a reason, as an IPv6 node is anything with an IPv6
stack - cell phone, laptop, server, IPv6 thermometer (yes, someone makes
one already) or any embedded device.  If you have a better suggestion
for 
a definition, I would be happy to review it.

John

> 
> Daniel
> 
>              
> =====================================
>      Soohong Daniel Park
>      Junior Researcher
>      Mobile Platform Group
>      Digital Media R&D Center
>      Samsung Electronics Co.,LTD
> 
>      TEL:+82-31-200-3728
>      FAX:+82-31-200-3147
>      H.P:+82-11-9950-4655
>      mailto:[email-masked] 
> =====================================
> 
> 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:00:09 +0900

interaction 
>(typing in the addresses).  Stateful is dependent upon DHCPv6, and
users cannot depend that it will be implemented everywhere, especially 
>since it is not a standard yet.

IESG has approved DHCPv6 as a Proposed Standard. 
Basically, stateful address autoconfiguration is more useful than typing
in the addresses.
Because IPv6 address is far more complex.

Daniel

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:31:14 +0200 (EET)

> Because IPv6 address is far more complex.

Useful for who?

I certainly find typing addresses much more useful.

Many IPv6 addresses are very easy to remember; about the same as IPv4 (not 
considering ones based on EUI64 of course).

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords