Subject: Retail IPv6 Service in the US?

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:21:13 -0800

I'm in the process of upgrading my home computing infrastructure in order to be
able to use IPv6. Does anybody know a retail ISP in the US that provides IPv6
service (specifically, in the SF Bay Area)?

I did a quick Google search and all the offerings seem to be for backbone
service.

            jak

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:56:03 -0500

Hi James,

At 10:21 AM 12/11/2002 -0800, James Kempf wrote:
>able to use IPv6.

Great!

>Does anybody know a retail ISP in the US that provides IPv6

Unfortunately, I don't think that this is available (I'd love to
find out that I'm wrong, though).

Most of us run a 6to4 gateway and tunnel over our provider's
IPv4 network to one of the public 6to4 relays.  There are 6to4
implementations available for most OSes including most or all
of the free Unixes.

Good luck!  And, let us know when you can see the turtle
dance. :-)

Margaret

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:31:29 -0800

James,

>I did a quick Google search and all the offerings seem to be for backbone

I am unfortunately, also working on this.  I used to have DSL service from 
a local provider, but they discontinued it abruptly a week and a half 
ago.  Until they shut it down, I had IPv6 service with a configured tunnel 
to nokia.net with a /48 assignment.

I found a new local SF bay area provider, meer.net, and signed up with 
them.  They expressed some interest in later offering IPv6 service.  [Note, 
I don't have any personal financial interest in meer.net so I am only 
mentioning them on the list because of their interest in IPv6.]  Once the 
new DSL line is up, I will setup the configured tunnel again.  I was 
planning on working with meer.net to help them get IPv6 running so I could 
get rid of the tunnel.

If you contact them, suggest you mention your interest in IPv6.  If enough 
people ask for it....

Bob

---

From: "Jeroen Massar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:15:12 +0100

Bob Hinden write:

<SNIP>

> If you contact them, suggest you mention your interest in 

Which is exactly what people should to get their ISP's going.
We had an AMS-IX IPv6 Awareness Day, at which many ISP's where
present. Checking http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/tla/
this helped quite a lot as the ISPs who attended the session.
Most of them requested an sTLA from RIPE 

1 United States      64  
2 Japan              61  
3 Germany            31  
4 Netherlands, The   24 
5 United Kingdom     18

Not bad for such a small country as .nl... anyways what my point is
is the fact that there should be "IPv6 Awareness" days/weeks where
ISP's *AND* developers are given an insight into what they need to
do to get the ball rolling.

Maybe a good point for one of the next IPv6-WG meetings?
"How to make ISP's and developers aware of IPv6"

Greets,
 Jeroen

---

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:37:13 +0900

This is same situation as asian has except JP.
IPv6 is wholly experimental and used in each lab.
I'm looking forward to nice solution from V6OPS WG.

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of James Kempf
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 3:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Retail IPv6 Service in the US?

I'm in the process of upgrading my home computing infrastructure in
order to be able to use IPv6. Does anybody know a retail ISP in the US
that provides IPv6 service (specifically, in the SF Bay Area)?

I did a quick Google search and all the offerings seem to be for
backbone service.

            jak

---

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:50:30 +0900

Daniel

-----Original Message-----

            jak

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:48:05 -0800

>IPv4 network to one of the public 6to4 relays.

It's unfortunate that there still seem to be very few 6to4 relay routers 
that are advertising a route to the "6to4 anycast address" 
(2002:c058:6301::).  For example, for me (in the San Francisco Bay Area) 
this address gives me a router that appears to be located somewhere in 
Europe!  Consequently, I ended up hard-coding a topologically closer 6to4 
relay router (e.g., 6to4.ipv6.microsoft.com: 
2002:836b:213c:1:e0:8f08:f020:8) into my configuration file.

Are people still serious about using anycast to locate 6to4 relay routers, 
or is this idea considered to be just a toy??

         Ross.

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 03:44:20 -0800 (PST)

v6 anycast is distinctly different than v4 anycast, which is confusing
to most operators I know of.

wrt native IPv6 providers in the US, yes there are a few. todate, they
are either small or are "vertical".  Perhaps the largest in the US 
(BW, geographic spread) is the Abilene network. There are a number of
ISPs that connect natively to exchange facilities over IPv6. 
In LA, I am using an ISP with native IPv6 to connect to LAIIX where
there is native IPv6 to two other ISPs and a bunch of tunnels to
other regional ISPs that connect to other exchanges. 

Most exchanges will be IPv6 aware/capable in the next 30 days.
The backbone/transit networks that had plans (CW, Sprint, WCOM)
for native IPv6 products have generally slipped those plans 
(for a variety of reasons) out for another year or so... based
on demand.  And quite frankly, these folks need -big- customer
demand.  So the near-term, pragmatic tactic seems to be for
us small users to vote w/ our pocketbooks and support the regional/local
ISPs that support IPv6 to local exchanges.

--bill
Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and
certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:08:27 -0800

Bill,

>ISPs that support IPv6 to local exchanges.

I think the expression is "think globally, act locally".  Don't wait for 
someone else to do it.

Bob