Subject: RE: IPv6 WG Last Call on "IPv6 Global Unicast Address Format for the 2000::/3 Prefix"

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:16:07 -0800

Erik,

> Erik Nordmark wrote: 
> Isn't there some other document which contains the IETF's
> recommendation to IANA to hand out IPv6 prefixes to the RIRs?
> It would be better if we can refer to a document (which might
> evolve on its own) than explicitly state the range of
> prefixes in this document because that means that should IANA
> start handing out prefixes outside of 2000::/3 this document
> will become inconsistent with reality.

I guess I have not been clear enough.
Proposed text: instead of:

> RFC2374 was the definition of addresses for Format Prefix 001 
> (2000::/3) which is formally made historic by this document. Although 
> as specified in [ARCH] IANA should limit the IPv6 unicast address 
> space to 2000::/3 for now, IANA might allocate unassigned parts of the

> IPv6 address space to Global Unicast later.

Please consider this:

  RFC2374 was the definition of addresses for Format Prefix 001
  (2000::/3) which is formally made historic by this document. Although
  as specified in [ARCH] IANA should limit the IPv6 Global Unicast
| address space to 2000::/3 for now, IANA might later delegate
| currently unassigned parts of the IPv6 address space to the purpose
| of Global Unicast as well.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:10:27 +0100 (CET)

> | of Global Unicast as well.

Works for me.

  Erik

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:38:07 -0800

>| of Global Unicast as well.
I'm not sure I like this last sentence. One could read it as
IANA "might" later assign "currently unassigned parts of the IPv6 
address space"
for of something different than Global Unicast.
Once could then fear that an implementor might then interpret that
as "I'm going to hard code 2000::/3 as I do not know what is going to
happen with the rest of the space".

Suggested text:

RFC2374 was the definition of addresses for Format Prefix 001
2000::/3) which is formally made historic by this document. Although,
as specified in [ARCH], IANA should limit the IPv6 Global Unicast
address space to 2000::/3 for now, the rest of the unassigned IPv6 address
space should be treated as Global Unicast.

    - Alain.