Subject: RE: M & O Bits was: draft-ietf-ipv6-node-requirements-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:21:24 +0200

Ralph,

> Not knowing the background of all readers of the doc, it 
> might be good to put your explicit warning in the text:
> 
>    An IPv6 node that does not include an implementation of DHCP will be
>    unable to obtain any IPv6 addresses aside from link-local addresses
>    when it is connected to a link over which it receives a router
>    advertisement with the 'M' flag (Managed address configuration) set
>    and which contains no prefixes advertised for Stateless Address
>    Autoconfiguration (see section 4.5.2).  In this situation, the IPv6
>    Node will be unable to communicate with other off-link nodes.
> 
> And, I can live with MAY as long as this text is included.

That then is starting to sound like consensus.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:49:23 +0100

> That then is starting to sound like consensus.

Agreed.

    Brian C