Subject: Home network configuration

From: Rich3800 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:36:30 -0500

Hi,

We have a small network of 2 PCs, my Linux PC and her Win XP PC, all 
connected to the Internet through a SpeedStream DHCP NAT/router and a 
cable modem.  I have another PC available to set up as a router/mrouter 
with whaterver OS would be most convenient to install.  I know that it 
is very hard to reach a machine behind a NAT connection.  For this 
reason, I want to replace my NAT router with something else so I can 
serve up files on my Linux machine as an IPv6/IPv4 web server.  How 
would I go about it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Brian Zill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 21:40:43 -0800

FYI, questions like this are probably best discussed on the IPv6 users
list ([email-masked]).  The ipng list is for IETF standards development.

Probably the easiest thing to do in your situation (assuming you're not
double NAT'd) would be to replace your existing NAT with a PC that could
serve as a combination NAT (for v4 connectivity) and 6to4 router (for v6
connectivity).  That would give all the hosts behind this box private
IPv4 addresses and global IPv6 addresses.

Alternatively, you could do the same except that instead of setting up
the PC router as a 6to4 gateway for your site, set up a configured
tunnel to a tunnel broker somewhere.  This takes a little more effort
but doesn't require sending your traffic through a 6to4 relay to reach
non-6to4 sites on the 6bone.

It's easy to set up a Windows XP box as a 6to4 router, but I believe
most other popular OSes have such support now as well.

--Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rich3800 [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 20:37
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Home network configuration
> 
> 
> Hi,
>