Subject: RE: IPv6 WG Last Call on "IPv6 Global Unicast Address Format for the 2000::/3 Prefix"

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:55:30 -0800

Bob,

> Bob Hinden wrote:
> [Erik's text]
> Any one else have comments on this change?

Works for me.

[the 2000::/3 prefix issue]

Re-thinking it, my feelings are now that it would be good to remove it
from the title, and that indeed it is no different than the TLA/NLA
issue; in the same spirit than Erik's text, coining a sentence that says
in substance that FP 001 is dead although 2000::/3 still the only range
allocated for unicast use seems the way to go. In a sense, we could say
that the same way TLAs and NLAs have disappeared to become RIR policy,
FP 001 has disappeared to become IANA matter.

Proposed title: "IPv6 Global Unicast Address Format"

Proposed text:

RFC2374 was the definition of addresses for Format Prefix 001 (2000::/3)
which is formally made historic by this document. Although as specified
in [ARCH] IANA should limit the IPv6 unicast address space to 2000::/3
for now, IANA might allocate unassigned parts of the IPv6 address space
to Global Unicast later.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:49:16 +0100

OK for me

   Brian

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:49:16 +0100

OK for me

   Brian

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:23:17 +0100 (CET)

> Proposed title: "IPv6 Global Unicast Address Format"

ok

> for now, IANA might allocate unassigned parts of the IPv6 address space

Isn't there some other document which contains the IETF's recommendation
to IANA to hand out IPv6 prefixes to the RIRs?

It would be better if we can refer to a document (which might evolve
on its own) than explicitly state the range of prefixes in this document
because that means that should IANA start handing out prefixes outside of
2000::/3 this document will become inconsistent with reality.

  Erik

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:26:42 +0100

> to IANA to hand out IPv6 prefixes to the RIRs?

The nearest we have is 3177, I think. Persuading IANA to hand out the
top level prefixes was done by email. See 
http://www.iab.org/Documents/IPv6addressspace.txt
(Hmm. It reads very optimistically today.)

> 2000::/3 this document will become inconsistent with reality.

Well, some text could say that in slightly more formal language.

   Brian