Subject: RE: IPv6 WG Last Call on "IPv6 Global Unicast Address Format for the 2000::/3 Prefix"

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:34:54 -0800

Erik,

>>Michel Py wrote:
>> Proposed text:
>> RFC2374 was the definition of addresses for Format Prefix 001
(2000::/3)
>> which is formally made historic by this document. Although as
specified
>> in [ARCH] IANA should limit the IPv6 Global Unicast address space to
>> 2000::/3 for now, IANA might later delegate currently unassigned
parts
>> of the IPv6 address space to the purpose of Global Unicast as well.
>> Implementations MUST NOT make address range checks for Global Unicast
>> addresses.

> Erik Nordmark
> I'm missing the association with this document.

The idea is that developers must not hardcode any assumptions. The
reason they must not is because IANA will later delegate the currently
unassigned parts of the space to a purpose we don't know, including
possibly an extension to Global Unicast.

> If we need to have a document which restates the instructions
> to the IANA to allocate IPv6 addresses, can't we make that a
> separate exercise?

This is not the intent. Would you detail what makes you read the text
that way?

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:25:13 +0100 (CET)

> possibly an extension to Global Unicast.

The proposed text reads as if the IANA delegation is the main
point and the implementation note being just a side note.

So if the implementation concern is the main point of the paragraph
why not say this explicitly with something like
	Even though currently only 2000::/3 is being delegated by the IANA,
        implementations should not make any assumptions about 2000::/3 being
	special, since the IANA might later delegate currently unassigned
	parts of the IPv6 address space to the purpose of Global Unicast 
	as well.

  Erik