Subject: RE: Site-local clarification

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:09:45 -0800

> Siva Veerepalli wrote:
| [ARCH] Site-local addresses are designed to be used for
| addressing inside of a site without the need for a global
| prefix. Although a subnet ID may be up to 54-bits long,
| it is expected that globally-connected sites will use the
| same subnet IDs for site-local and global prefixes. 
> Does the interpretation of the above sentence mean, "if my
> global prefix is 3FFE:2900:1107:314::/64, my site-local
> prefix would be FECE:2900:1107:314::/64" ?

No. Following the recommendations of RFC3177, if your global prefix is
3FFE:2900:1107:314::/64 and the same subnet also has a site-local
address the site-local prefix would be FEC0:0:0:314::/64.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------