Subject: ADMIN: Too many hops...

From: Michael Hunter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:04:08 -0800

Sun recently implemented new anti-spam measures which increase the
number of hops email takes into sunroof (and thus the whole path from
poster to mailing list).  This weekend I saw two thousand messages to
the ipng admin mailbox of which ~80% represent bounces due to too many
hops.  According to the local sendmail expert the sendmail default of
25 hops is low and the returns I'm seeing from some sites of max hops
being under 20 is nuts.

I'm asking that all of you talk to your admins about getting this
parameter bumped up on your mail gateways.  I'll be contacting specific
sites but external suggestions on issues like this rarely result in
changes as quick as internal pressure.

		Michael Hunter
		ipng admin
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------