Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-unicast-aggr-v2-00.txt

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 08:34:42 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Michel Py wrote:
> > The specific format of global unicast address under the 2000::/3
> > prefix is:
> > | 3 |     n bits         | 61-n bits |       64 bits              |
> > +---+--------------------+-----------+----------------------------+
> > |001|  routing prefix    | subnet ID |       interface ID         |
> > +---+--------------------+-----------+----------------------------+
> 
> I have a dumb question about this: I read a while ago in some RIR
> documents about the "hard boundary" at /64 and the "soft boundary" at
> /48. Technically, the subnet ID can have any number of bits, but I
> thought we would want to encourage the use of 16 subnet ID bits, which
> would make n=45.
> 
> I think there could be something such as a recommendation or a should in
> the draft.

I disagree about recommendations on this to-be-normative RFC.  An
informative reference for recomendations in the IESG/IAB document is most
that could be acceptable.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 15:59:16 +0100

> that could be acceptable.

Pekka is correct. The /48 boundary is not the IETF's business any
more; we had a very complex discussion with the RIRs and they had
a very complex discussion among themselves, resulting in
RIPE-267 and RIPE-261. Don't go there.

(see http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6.html)

  Brian