Subject: RE: Enforcing unreachability of site local addresses

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:55:09 -0800

Alan,

Excellent post, thanks. I just have two things to comment.

> Alan E. Beard wrote:
> managers who chose to play ostrich (you know what that
> bird exposes when it sticks its head in the sand)

That must be the same place some stick their heads when
there's no sand around.
The cat and the hanging ones are so true, too.

> I strongly suspect that end-user networks will not embrace
> IPv6 enthusiastically unless registered, globally routable
> PI space is readily available.

I will modulate this by saying that end-user networks don't necessarily
want straight PI, they want the perks that come with it. Although it is
clear that nothing will be as simple as straight PI, it does come with a
hefty price, the size of the routing table, that we are not ready to pay
yet. When we come up with an identifier/locator system that provides the
same perks, the reduction of the routing table will be a worthy
trade-off for the oddities that will come with the identifier/locator.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Alan E. Beard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:49:32 -0500 (EST)

> trade-off for the oddities that will come with the identifier/locator.
Yes, I think you are probably right in speculating that any technically
sound mechanism which preserves the virtues of provider independence,
portability, and stability in configuration of end-user-network devices
will satisfy the functional requirements of the end-user community.  It
seems to be up to us to architect the mechanism(s).

Regards,

AEB

-- 
Alan E. Beard <[email-masked]>
AEBeard Consulting; 4109 Chelsa Ln; Lakeland FL 33809
863.815.2529