Subject: Sites will pick random numbers

From: "Tony Hain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 17:32:43 -0700

In case anyone disbelieves the point that sites will pick random numbers
when they can't get them permanently allocated. From today's mail:

> AS xxxx currently leaks 80.0.0.0/8 and 2.0.0.0/8 (IANA unassigned).
     ^^^^ AS # masked

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 07:31:13 +0300 (EEST)

> > AS xxxx currently leaks 80.0.0.0/8 and 2.0.0.0/8 (IANA unassigned).

Doesn't this kinda prove the point that site locals aren't needed? :-)

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:46:06 +0200

> Doesn't this kinda prove the point that site locals aren't needed? :-)

Well, so does the fact that several specifics within 2002::/16 are
in the IPv6 DFZ. Neither of these are exactly good things.

   Brian