Subject: RE: Consensus on what? RE: CONSENSUS CALL: Deprecating Site-Local Addressing

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:45:15 -0500

>On a side note, I just re-read addrarch 3.11 and I found no text about
>how a WG deprecates a prefix. As far as I'm concerned, it could mean
>that all WG members are supposed to telnet to all IPv6 routers in the
>world and deprecate the prefix there. We need better than this.

The great thing about deprecation is that it doesn't have to happen
all at once.  We won't reallocate the prefix for some other purpose,
just deprecate its use for site-local addressing.  So, this won't
cause any immediate impact to existing implementations or
deployments.

Over time, implementations will cease to provide special handling
for FECO::/10 (many don't provide any special handling for this
prefix today, BTW) and folks should migrate their deployments away
from using site-locals to (one of) the alternatives that we
eventually specify (i.e. the bellovin/zill proposal) or that RIRs
enact as policy, etc.

Margaret

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 22:21:35 +0300

> From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

> prefix today, BTW)

Well, I don't provide any special handling for FEC0::/10 (other than
noting address is site level). I already have to implement scoped
handling due to link locals. Site-local processing just comes free
after that.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:18:39 +1000

> handling due to link locals. Site-local processing just comes free

	You have partial support for link-locals.  No implementation
	has full support because that would require making link-locals
	first class addresses at all levels and the work to do that has
	not been done to specify how to do this.

	The work to do this is roughly equivalent to that required to
	get site-locals to the level of first class addresses.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Software Consortium
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------