Subject: CONSENSUS CALL: Deprecating Site-Local Addressing

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 15:13:46 -0500

>>         "YES -- Deprecate site-local unicast addressing".

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 06:11:53 +0900

I was in the wg meeting room but was unable to raise hand (too tired,
	fell asleep).

>>>         "YES -- Deprecate site-local unicast addressing".

	Site local address complicates overall access control.
	Applications has to be altered to support site local addresses
	(= increased cost of IPv6 transition).

itojun

---

From: Love Hörnquist Åstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 02:45:10 +0200

Love

---

From: Yoshifumi Atarashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 11:56:13 +0900 (JST)

From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: CONSENSUS CALL: Deprecating Site-Local Addressing 
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 06:11:53 +0900

> 	(= increased cost of IPv6 transition).

Site local address increse cost of network products.
Because venders must do a lot of test for site local addreses.
(If site local address spec does not change implementation,
 earnest venders will do additional tests.)
Therefore venders will delay to shipment of IPv6 products.
It is very bad for IPv6 deployment and transition.

------
  Yoshifumi Atarashi
       Hitachi, Ltd.

---

From: Bengt Gördén <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 09:50:40 +0200

"YES -- Deprecate site-local unicast addressing"

- Bengan -----------------------------------------------------------
- KTHNOC/SUNET/NORDUnet | http://www.sunet.se/~bengan | 08-7906586 -
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------