Subject: prefix delegation service

From: Shannon -jj Behrens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:07:16 -0700

Just to throw some simple code out with my ideas, I've created a simple prefix
delegation service to delegate unique, provider-independent, non-globally
routed IPv6 prefixes for use with disconnected or intermittently-connected
networks.  The site is at:

	<http://udp.nttmcl.com/PrefixDelegationService/>

Here are some notes:

o I'm currently using the prefix fcc0::/16, although this can easily be 
  changed:
  - I think delegating from fec0::/10 is probably out of the question since 
    this prefix is being deprecated.
  - I think creating a new prefix such as fcc0::/16 has the benefit that 
    delegated prefixes will be instantly recognizable (although, in general,
    such prefixes should be treated as normal global unicast space).
  - I think using a prefix allocated by an RIR from 2002::/16 would make a lot
    of sense since the RIR could allocate such prefixes to anyone wishing to
    provide a similar service.

o I have rate-limited the delegations so that:
  - No more than 10000 delegations can happen per day.
  - A connecting /24 (in IPv4) or /48 (in IPv6) can only receive 10 delegations
    per day.

o All I ask for is an email address so that I can contact the user if there
  was a mistake in allocating the prefix or if the prefix is no longer valid.

If anyone wants a copy of the code under a BSD license, shoot me an email.

Thanks,
-jj

-- 
Hacker is to software engineer as 
Climbing Mt. Everest is to building a Denny's there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Shannon -jj Behrens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:20:14 -0700

Dear Fellow IETF Participants,

I will be removing this service effective immediately.

Best Regards,
-jj