Subject: RE: site-locals

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 09:08:38 -0800

Margaret,

>> john loughney wrote:
>> What is the amount of work to depreciate site locals - how
>> many RFCs need to be updated? I'm not convinced that
>> deprecating site locals really solves anything.

> Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> The work to keep, and finish, site-locals is much greater
> than the work to deprecate them.

What about a comparison between:
- The work to keep, and finish, site-locals
     and
- The work to deprecate _and_ replace them.

There is no deprecation without a replacement, and given the nature of
the beast it is permitted to think that consensus on a replacement might
be not achievable, leading that they would indeed not been deprecated
lacking of a valid replacement and we would be back where we are right
now.

IMHO, the compromise approach such as the exclusive model Bob and you
came up with has more chances of success and a good starting point. If
the WG can't agree on such a thing I doubt it could agree on a solution
started from scratch.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 20:19:27 +0300 (EEST)

> the WG can't agree on such a thing I doubt it could agree on a solution

Exclusive model is pretty much unworkable except:
 1) as an access control mechanism; there are better methods for that
 2) with disconnected  sites -- and then "limited model" would also apply 
just great.

I'm not personally that much opposed to the limited model, and could maybe
even live with exclusive model -- but it depends on certain things (like
site-border routers) that are unacceptable.  The proposal doesn't seem to 
be be workable in practise, IMHO.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings