Subject: RE: C000

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:27:21 -0400

At 09:23 AM 4/15/2003 -0700, Michel Py wrote:
> > There is little/no belief that LLs will be included in the DNS,
>
>This is news to me. How would a small unconnected group of computers
>work (the "dentist office" as Ole would put it)?

In general, I expect that the "dentist office" will be connected
to the Internet, and that the dentist will receive his IP address
prefixes and DNS service from his provider.

There may be other cases where people run small disconnected
networks (just to talk to their printer, or for their appliance
to talk to each other), but I suspect that those networks will
use local discovery and name resolutions protocols, rather than
DNS.  DNS is a bit too complicated to set up for this type of
scenario, IMO.

Margaret

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:54:14 +0700

Date:        Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:27:21 -0400
    From:        Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | DNS is a bit too complicated to set up for this type of scenario, IMO.

Current implementations are, but they need not be.   With dynamic update
now starting to be more widely used, there's no reason that a DNS server
can't just be turned on and forgotten, with hosts registering themselves
in it.

After all, if cheap hub/adsl type devices can come complete with DHCP
servers, NAT, ... there's no reason that similar devices can't come
complete with DNS servers as well.

This means that there's no need for different kinds of name resolution
in clients depending upon how they happen to be connected in this
particular instance.

kre