Subject: RE: FW: Consensus on Site-Local Addressing

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:35:23 -0700

> Tony Hain wrote:
> Yanking the defined non-PA space will only cause them to pick
> random numbers, or turn the documentation space into a different
> instance of ambiguous space.

Or use 2002:RFC:1918, best pick after FEC0::/10

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Tony Hain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:54:25 -0700

Michel Py wrote:
> ...

Depends on the implementation. Some recognize that space as invalid
since the 2002 points to the tunnel interface, but 1918 is not valid on
that interface. It would be much easier to use 2001:0DB8::/32 as site
controlled space since implementations wouldn't know the difference
between it and other 2001 space. Of course since everyone would be using
the same /32, it would be just as ambiguous as the FEC0::/10 space
people are trying to get rid of. The 2001:0DB8::/32 space is actually
worse for the purpose since it only allows 16 bits for local /48
coordination rather than 38.

Tony

---

From: Christian Schild <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:48:25 +0200

> Or use 2002:RFC:1918, best pick after FEC0::/10

Well I think actually this is even worse. Especially if people start to expect 
the same things from this 'private' address space as from SL. SLs at least 
had a scope. With 2002:RFC1918 an application or a router has no idea that it 
should treat this address in a special way, it is just 'global aggregatable' 
(prefix 001). Imagine a few of the scenarios we draw, e.g. a disconnected 
network is going online?

Using 2002:RFC1918 is much more dangerous than ambiguous SL's flying around. 

Christian