Subject: new dmca laws and rfc 3041

From: Renee Danson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:49:38 -0700

I've started hearing some concerns about the "Super-DMCA"
legislation that various states in the US are considering or have
already passed.  It seems like these laws could have all kinds of
bad consequences; among other things, they have provisions that
could be interpreted as making RFC 3041 illegal.  An article on
the EFF's web site[1] mentions provisions that ban devices that
"conceal...the existence or place of origin or destination of any
communication."

This raises concern for all kinds of things that are currently in
more widespread use than RFC 3041, such as VPNs and NAT.  But an
implementation of RFC 3041 could be viewed as a tool which helps
users to conceal their IP address, and thus the "place of origin"
of communication.  

So, what do folks think about this?  Should implementors make any
changes to their RFC 3041 implementations in light of these laws?

-renee

[1] http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/states/200304_sdmca_eff_analysis.php
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------