Subject: why I voted for deprecation [hijacking prefixes for disconnected]

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:51:37 +0300 (EEST)

Moving one point from a separate thread, trying to keep discussions 
apart..

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:47:36 +0300 (EEST)
>     From:        Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
>     Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>
>
>   | That was the specific scenario here (I think).  I didn't claim to analyze 
>   | all the SL scenarios.
> 
> You're in favour of deprecating the things without analysing all scenarios?

I raised my hand for deprecation because that was the best alternative of 
the two.

The limited model was closer to my preference: no *formal* deprecation (at
least yet) while preserving some uses for site-locals, and removing the
future extra work on all the protocols and applications (treat site locals
like globals). And restricting the vendors who may wish to ship products
assuming network is going to special-case site-locals.

But, actually limited is pretty close to deprecated, really.  It's just
the question how to define the deprecated (ie. the wording, whether the
prefix is left to the specs, etc.) and what practice vendors etc. will
want to adopt.

Not raising the hand for "deprecation" seemed to strongly imply going
towards a moderate (or even full usage scenario), which is *specifically*
something I did not want, because it seems apparent that "that way lies
madness".

So I chose the worst of the two questionable alternatives.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------