Subject: RE: Globally Unique Private Addresses and Scoped Architecture

From: Dan Lanciani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 18:33:43 -0400 (EDT)

"Michel Py" <[email-masked]> wrote:

|Unfortunately "scalable PI"
|is an oxymoron, which is why we need to reduce the risk of
|globally-unique-private becoming globally-unique-not-private with means
|PI and routing table bloat.

IMHO, it is impossible to reduce the risk as stated.  That is, we might be
able to prevent globally-unique-globally-visible-in-the-routing-table, but
that isn't quite the same thing.  Once we have any globally unique ownable
address space we can make it not-private with auto-tunnels analogous to those
used for 6to4.  All that is required is agreement on a lookup mechanism, and
I believe that the desire for PI space is strong enough to produce such an
agreement in the market regardless of what the IETF may do.  Now, I happen to
think that ownable address space would be a good thing, but it would seriously
alter the economics of pure provider-controlled allocations.  Again IMHO, the
only reason site-locals survived as long as they did was that their ambiguity
made them appear as less of a threat in this respect.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:15:35 +0200 (CEST)

> able to prevent  but

Dan,

In my head this "lookup mechanism for auto-tunneling" is merely a
different way of stating that we need to separate identifiers and locators
and have a lookup mechanism to map from an identifier to a (set of) locator(s).
If that's what you mean I agree with it, and I think the IETF can gather
enough ideas to be able to engineer a reasonable solution to this problem.

One question I have is whether we today know enough to know what
the structure should be of the identifier or whether the desired structure
of the identifier depends on what type of lookup system we design.

I'm concerned about defining the
globally-unique-globally-visible-in-the-routing-table format
until we at least know that we can build a scalable and robust lookup
function for it.

   Erik