Subject: I never thought about hijacking an IPv4 /8

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 20:15:38 -0700

But some people do....
http://www.wiana.org/

Gee, I think I'm going to hijack an IPv6 /8 prefix too. What could I do
with it? Let's see. Mmmmm. Provide globally unique addresses, maybe. I
wonder if these guys will let me have their scripts.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Jeroen Massar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 17:43:53 +0200

> wonder if these guys will let me have their scripts.

Which is indeed something already which is available from some sites
and nicely from sTLA space from some ISP's ;)
Mucho better than plain default sitelocal crap.

What is wrong though is indeed that these people hijacked it,
one moment or the other one might think it's 'official' and start
communicating using those addresses on the global internet.
And then it's a real hijack. As long as they don't communicate
with the rest of the world they can have as much fun as they want ;)

From their FAQ:
8<-----------
Are the addresses routable? 
Yes, within the Wireless Internet, but not directly from the traditional
wired internet.
----------->8

Hope they can uphold that.... it will imply NAT or other odd tricks
to be able to access the rest of the world, ah well their problem :)

Greets,
 Jeroen