Subject: RE: C000

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:40:52 -0700

>>> Margaret Wasserman wrote:
>>> There is little/no belief that LLs will be included in
>>> the DNS

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> This is news to me. How would a small unconnected group of
>> computers work (the "dentist office" as Ole would put it)?

> In general, I expect that the "dentist office" will be
> connected to the Internet

Not my dentist and no need for it today. The dentist office uses
proprietary software to take care of the business, no Internet required.
The dentist typically does not want office assistants to surf pr0n while
he's drilling in my mouth.

> There may be other cases where people run small disconnected
> networks (just to talk to their printer, or for their appliance
> to talk to each other), but I suspect that those networks will
> use local discovery and name resolutions protocols, rather than
> DNS.  DNS is a bit too complicated to set up for this type of
> scenario, IMO.

Explain me how to make Microsoft Active Directory without DNS? This
represents the VAST majority of "dentist office" server software
installed today; pretty typical, 4 workstations and a "server" which is
not much more than a workstation with mirrored IDE disks and a tape
drive.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:49:07 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Michel Py wrote:
> >>> Margaret Wasserman wrote: There is little/no belief that LLs will be
> >>> included in the DNS
> 
> >> Michel Py wrote:

Invent a prefix.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings