Subject: RE: I never thought about hijacking an IPv4 /8

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:43:11 -0700

Jeroen,

> Jeroen Massar wrote:
> What is wrong though is indeed that these people hijacked
> it, one moment or the other one might think it's 'official'
> and start communicating using those addresses on the global
> internet. And then it's a real hijack.

And this will happen and we know it. In their situation, the risk of
leak of these addresses in the DFZ is low, as 1.0.0.0 /8 is indeed in
the bogon list and enough people actually filter bogons. But for IPv6 it
would be easier. Tomorrow I could create the MIANA (the Michel Internet
Assigned Numbers Authority) (c) (tm), hijack a big block and begin to
distribute mhhhmmm let's see, what about globally unique private IPv6
addresses.

> Hope they can uphold that.... it will imply NAT or other
> odd tricks to be able to access the rest of the world,
> ah well their problem :)

For IPv4 I don't see where the problem would be. RFC1918 addresses are
not the only ones you can NAT...

Ah what a wonderful world.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Jeroen Massar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 03:05:22 +0200

Michel Py [mailto:[email-masked]] wrote:

> the bogon list and enough people actually filter bogons. But 
> for IPv6 it would be easier. Tomorrow I could create the MIANA (the 
> Michel Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) (c) (tm), hijack a big
block and begin to
> distribute mhhhmmm let's see, what about globally unique private IPv6

Welcome to the Inter.Michel.Net, I wonder if such a thing could hit off
then again, seeing the altroot dns servers aren't really hitting
anywhere
either, hmm... but 6bone is quite a success and kinda is an
'alternative'
registry too.

Seeing the fact that many ISP's don't have any filtering at all in IPv6,
until some 'loathed' corp like tries to do some real work, next to that
the fact that they are quite unreachable through the normal email
channels,
even though those are the given contacts or respond once and then let it
rest for ever, I foresee some bad stuff happening in the future ;(

> Ah what a wonderful world.

For some other, totally unrelated, reason I tend to agree quite hard :)

Greets,
 Jeroen