Subject: free prefix allocation service

From: Shannon -jj Behrens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:40:51 -0800

I disagree with the assumption that no one will be willing to provide a 
service that delegates free unique prefixes for disconnected or intermittently-
connected sites.  In fact, I would be willing to provide such a service 
myself (for the selfish reason of being the one who solved the "great 
site-local" debate).

I propose the following additional details:  a unique GUSL prefix should by
default be generated from the NIC of the router advertising the prefix.  This
is for the zeroconf people.  For enterprises, they may gain a unique prefix
from their own ISP for a fee, if so desired.  For those people in between, they
may come to my site to obtain a free prefix simply by supplying a working email
address that I may use to contact them (i.e. I would have very minimal
registration requirements).  I would delegate the prefix from either 1) a
larger prefix that my company, NTT, provides to me just to be nice 2) a larger
prefix that some RIR provides me just to be nice.  I would not claim to be the
only such service.  In fact, I would release the source code for the Web site
so that others could provide a similar service (thus achieving redundency).
Note, I specifically don't want to allocate from a *special* prefix.  I'd
rather delegate prefixes from some larger prefix so that other services may do
the same.

I'm just throwing this idea out to see if anyone likes it before I ask NTT 
for permission to do it (although I have received permission to post this 
email, of course).

Best Regards,
-jj

-- 
Hacker is to software engineer as 
Climbing Mt. Everest is to building a Denny's there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------