Subject: RE: reqs for local addressing OR requirements for SL replacement? [Re: Accept hain/templin draft as wg item?]

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:39:21 -0700

> Pekka Savola wrote:
> Do you also want your domain name for free?

It _is_ free and so is my SSL certificate and my DNS hosting, if you
must know. Just because you have never seen something does not mean it
does not exist.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:58:05 +0300 (EEST)

> must know. Just because you have never seen something does not mean it

Right.  (By domain name here, I meant something like example.com; the 
primary domain can easily give out subdomains for free because that costs 
nothing but administrative overhead.)

Typically by-default-valid SSL certificates are not free, nor are domain 
names such as example.com.  However, one might be able to find free 
services.  But that does NOT change the fact that such an attempt would 
not be valid for mainstream use.

Note: using this kind of method, some folks might be tempted to get a /48,
and subdivide it to chunks given to friends (with or without a payment),
like how it's sometimes done with e.g. domains and giving out the
subdomains.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings