Subject: RE: why market picked up NATs [Re: Writeups on why RFC1918 is bad?]

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:17:23 -0700

Måns,

> Måns Nilsson wrote:
> I have a small-business-grade DSL at home, costing around
> 5 times as much as consumer (and that is with the discaount!),

Sounds about right with a discount.

> but I get a /27 and RFC2317 style delegation. It is bliss,
> but it should not be exceptional, it should be the norm --
> because it is immensely empowering.

Would you care giving concrete examples of what it empowers you to do, which is, what can't I do with my residential setup and you can because you have been empowered?

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Måns Nilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:56:58 +0200

--On Sunday, September 28, 2003 19:17:23 -0700 Michel Py
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Would you care giving concrete examples of what it empowers you to do,
> which is, what can't I do with my residential setup and you can because
> you have been empowered?

* I can run servers without firewall redirects. 

* I can connect directly to any node on my home network from any place 
  in the world -- barring administrative rules. 

* My two IP telephones work. I could have one with a redirect, but I want
  two. 

* All nodes get distinctive reverse DNS. 

* Kerberos works as intended, with address-tied tickets. 

* My AFS server setup works. 

* If I chose to employ firewall rules, I can put them on the nodes 
  that need them, not having to think about impact on other nodes. 

* I can have one view on DNS -- no need for ugly split hacks. 

* My friends who come over for coffee and packets can get the same 
  service as I get, without special hacks from me -- they just get 
  a real, routable address from my DHCP pool. Whatever they chose
  to run is possible. 

In short, IP works as designed, as opposed to "barely works through a 
series of ugly e2e violations". The reduction in mental stress is 
impressive and relieving.  

-- 
Måns Nilsson            Systems Specialist
+46 70 681 7204         KTHNOC  MN1334-RIPE

We're sysadmins. To us, data is a protocol-overhead.