Subject: RE: reqs for local addressing

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:29:32 -0700

> Mark Smith wrote:
> I do like the idea of autoconfiguration, but in larger networks,
> it can start to work against you - your network can start doing
> things behind your back that make it terrible to diagnose faults.

Indeed. Trouble is with all automated systems is that the engineer that
troubleshoot will at some point make assumptions about what the
automated system does, often based on the premise that it always does
the same and that there might not be anything to check or do anyway. I'm
not saying it's bad, but the common practice of autoconfiguration
mechanisms is that they are not included in the engineer's team and
don't talk to each other....

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------