Subject: RE: Comments on draft-ietf-ipv6-unique-local-addr-00.txt

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:55:57 -0700

> Pekka Savola wrote:
> Incorrect.  Have you even used hosts.allow?  What makes you
> think it's easily hackable, instantly abusable by a vaguely
> clued low-level thief?

Gee, even I could use vi. As soon as you have root access, what is your
problem? I can vi the hosts.allow file, I don't know how to create a
tunnel.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:14:20 +0300 (EEST)

> problem? I can vi the hosts.allow file, I don't know how to create a

Then you have to first compromise the system concerned, going through all 
the other protections.

Before you hack the box to circumvent the hosts.allow you still have to
... well, hack the box!  An interesting chicken and egg problem, no?

In the same vein, one could say that using local addresses gives no
protection because you could just (as root) add a global address on the
box.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings