Subject: FW: updates to IPv6 over PPP spec.

From: "Barany, Pete" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:02:59 -0800

I forgot to mention where this is explicitly stated. In TIA-835-C,
Section 3.2.1.4.2 "IPv6 Addressing":

--->BEGIN
For an IPv6 MS, the PDSN shall be the default router and the PPP
termination point. The PDSN shall allocate one globally unique /64
prefix to each PPP link. The PDSN shall not construct any global address
from this prefix.
--->END

- Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: Barany, Pete 
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 7:46 AM
To: 'Pekka Savola'
Cc: Karim El-Malki (HF/EAB); [email-masked]
Subject: RE: updates to IPv6 over PPP spec.

The PDSN in cdma2000 does not have a global unicast address for the PPP
connection between itself and the mobile. It only has a link-local
address. The mobile has both a link-local and global unicast address.

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Pekka Savola
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 8:15 PM
To: Barany, Pete
Cc: Karim El-Malki (HF/EAB); [email-masked]
Subject: RE: updates to IPv6 over PPP spec.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Barany, Pete wrote:
> The rationale also fails to account for 3GPP2 networks (cdma2000).
Here,
> PPP (IPV6CP) is used to obtain an IPv6 address for the mobile (or the
> MIPv6 CoA for the mobile). UMTS uses a PDP context instead.
> 
> Since 3GPP2 has mandated a restriction that the /64 prefix advertised
to
> a mobile by a PDSN (similar to 'GGSN' if you are a UMTS-only person)
be
> unique/exclusive to that PPP link, then there is no need for the
> suggested update #1 below. In fact, quite the contrary.

Umm.. but doesn't the access router which terminates the PPP link also
have an address from that /64 prefix (e.g., ::1) -- or does it have a
link-local address only?

In case such an assumption is made, it should be spelled out clearly 
enough.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:33:11 +0200 (EET)

> prefix to each PPP link. The PDSN shall not construct any global address

Right -- but as PPPv6 is used in other scopes than 3GPP and 3GPP2 as 
well, PPP specification should probably include some discussion of the 
assumptions required for disabling DAD.