Subject: [psg.com #248] [2461bis issue 248] Inconsistencies in router lifetime values

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:32:21 +0000

Issue description from Pete Barany's email:

> What I mean to say is that the parameter AdvDefaultLifetime MUST be 
> either zero or between MaxRtrAdvInterval and 9000 seconds (IPv6) per 
> RFC 2461. Same thing for IPv4 per RFC 1256 (only the parameter is 
> Advertisement Lifetime). The inconsistency (for lack of a better word)

> is that the Router Lifetime field is 16 bits and if set to anything 
> greater than 9000 seconds then this would violate the specifications. 
> So, if it is set to 18.2 hours (e.g., for some wireless cellular 
> links) it violates the specs.

Suggested resolution from Erik Nordmark:

So if we change the sentence in 4.2 from:
	The maximum value corresponds to 18.2 hours.
to
	The field can contain values up to 65535 and receivers should
	handle any value, while the sending rules in section 6 limit
	the lifetime to 9000 seconds.
would that be better?

Cuurent text in the doc:

Router Lifetime
                  16-bit unsigned integer.  The lifetime associated
                  with the default router in units of seconds.  	
                  The field can contain values up to 65535 and 
                  receivers should handle any value, while the 
                  sending rules in section 6 limit the lifetime to 
                  9000 seconds. A Lifetime of 0 indicates that the 
                  router is not a default router and SHOULD NOT 
                  appear on the default router list.  The Router 
                  Lifetime applies only to the router's usefulness as 
                  a default router; it does not apply to information 
                  contained in other message fields or options.  
                  Options that need time limits for their information 
                  include their own lifetime fields.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:32:21 +0000

Cuurent text in the doc:

Router Lifetime