Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-node-requirements-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:58:49 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IPv6 Node Requirements
	Author(s)	: J. Loughney
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipv6-node-requirements-08.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 2004-2-18
	
This document defines requirements for IPv6 nodes.  It is expected
that IPv6 will be deployed in a wide range of devices and situations.
Specifying the requirements for IPv6 nodes allows IPv6 to function
well and interoperate in a large number of situations and
deployments.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-node-requirements-08.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipv6-node-requirements-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-node-requirements-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 07:26:24 +1100

"Those nodes are NOT RECOMMENDED to support the experimental A6 and
   DNAME Resource Records [RFC-3363]."

	I object to recommending that DNAME's not be supported.  RFC
	3363 does NOT say that.  It says that they shouldn't be use
	in the reverse tree for RENUMBERING purposes.  Even then the
	logic to get to that decision is DUBIOUS at best.

	If RFC 3363 was ever to be revised I would be pushing for the
	entire section on DNAME to be removed.  We really should not
	be saying were in the DNS tree DNAME can be used.

	RFC 3363 most definitly does not recommend that DNAMES be not
	supported.

	I really suspect that we will want to use DNAME for renumbering
	even without A6 and bit-string labels.  Trying to get
	multiple levels of delegation updated quickly is a pain.
	Just look at the problems we are having going from IP6.INT
	to IP6.ARPA.  Do we want this pain level with every renumber
	event.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------