Subject: Question regarding router redirect

From: Bhaskar S <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:31:57 +0530

Hi,

I have a question regarding IPv6 router redirect. Can an IPv6
router send a redirect for a particular route? 

Here is a situation:
(It is assumed that no routing protocol is being run)

               Internet
                   |
                   R1
   +---+-----------+------+-----+ 
       |                  |
      R2                  H1
       |
      H2

Let us say Router R1 is the default router for H1. R1 connects
H1 to internet (IPv6). Also Router R1, R2 and H1 are all on the
same link. H2 is connected to Router R2. If host H1 wants to
reach H2 can router R1 redirect it to R2 for this particular
route?

Or will H1 be able to learn about H2 from R2 router
advertisements?

-- 
Thanks and Regards,

Bhaskar S.
Ph: 5598615-4012
**************************************************
 [ ]    General Business Information
 [x]    Motorola Internal Use only
 [ ]    Motorola Confidential Proprietary
    POPI -  A Responsibility we all share
**************************************************

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mattias Pettersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:17:36 +0100

> (It is assumed that no routing protocol is being run)

Yes, R1 will tell H1 that R2 is a better next hop.

> Or will H1 be able to learn about H2 from R2 router

R2 shouldn't advertise on that (upper) link.

/Mattias

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:39:10 +0900

>>>>> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:17:36 +0100, 
>>>>> Mattias Pettersson <[email-masked]> said:

> R2 shouldn't advertise on that (upper) link.

I think R2 actually should.  Otherwise, H1 won't be able to
communicate with H2 when R1 is down.  So, both R1 and R2 should
advertise RAs on the upper link (from R2).  If the "redirect storms"
really matter, we then should use a new feature described in
draft-ietf-ipv6-router-selection-03.txt.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]