Subject: Reminder: Re: [rfc2462bis issue 278] 2462bis for "routers"

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:38:59 +0900

No one has provided an opinion on this...if the list is still silent,
I'll leave the current text as is, as proposed below.

If anyone of you strongly want something explicit on this in
rfc2462bis, please speak up (with proposed text if possible).

Thanks,

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

Subject: Re: [rfc2462bis issue 278] 2462bis for "routers"
From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
To: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 23:24:43 +0900
List-Id: IP Version 6 Working Group (ipv6) <ipv6.ietf.org>

>>>>> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:32:03 -0800 (PST), 
>>>>> Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]> said:

> So do we or do we not want to
> 1. specify the per-interface router definition
> 2. specify how RFC 2461 (and 62) behave on a multihomed node

Hmm, I see the discussion about the definition of per-interface router
leads us to the more generic (and difficult) issues: ND/autoconf for a
multihomed node (host).

Although opinions on this may vary, my impression is that the generic
issue is beyond the scope of 2461/2462bis.  It would require a large
amount of time for discussion and would require significant changes to
implementations.  This does not meet the original purpose of
2461/2462bis.

However, I also think per-interface stateless address
autoconfiguration is relatively trivial and can be consistent with the
current RFC2461 spec (and with 2461bis probably).  That is, I think we
can allow a node to receive an RA on a non-advertising interface (per
RFC2461) to configure a global address on the interface without going
into further on the multihome issues.

In any event, I don't have a strong opinion on this.  If we can
quickly reach a consensus about the per-interface address
autoconfiguration, I'll revise the rfc2462bis text accordingly.
Otherwise, I'd simply leave the current text as is (it would be a bit
ambiguous as currently is, though).

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------