Subject: RE: [rfc2462bis] what is the stateful configuration protocol

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:19:16 -0700

> In any event, perhaps the best way to simplify the protocol would be
to
> drop
> the "O" bit altogether.  That is, make no attempt to control how a
host
> goes
> about finding the additional configuration information.  There was a
brief
> discussion about this issue at an IPv6 WG interim meeting (Aug 2002?).
If
> I remember correctly, and at the risk of over-simplification, the
> point of the discussion was that, if I'm a network administrator,
under
> what
> circumstances would I ever want to set the 'O' bit so that a device
does
> not
> use all available mechanisms to obtain other configuration
information?

If we want to drop bits, I would rather drop the 'M' bit, to reflect the
consensus that autonomous allocation of addresses is the norm (MUST
implement) and that allocation through DHCP is an optional facility.

-- Christian Huitema

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:27:58 -0700

> implement) and that allocation through DHCP is an optional facility.

Actually, I never really understood those 2 bits... Why don't get rid 
of them both?
Autonomous allocation is the default, and nodes can try DHCPv6 when/if 
they want...
And site who only want centralized address allocation will just not 
advertize
any prefix in the RAs...
What would break if we were to make this simplification?

	- Alain.