Subject: Re: Fw: Question about Routing Headers

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:00:33 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Lori,
  Find my comments inline

Regards
Suresh

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Lori Napoli wrote:

>Thanks for your reply however I still think there is an issue with Path
>MTU.   If I send a packet outbound, typically I use the MTU associated
>with the destination to which I am sending the packet.  In the case of

This is not a requirement for PMTU discovery. The PMTU should ideally 
be associated with the path used in the routing header rather than with
the destination address. In fact this is stated in RFC1981 section 
5.2. Storing PMTU information

|   For source routed packets (i.e. packets containing an IPv6 Routing
|   header [IPv6-SPEC]), the source route may further qualify the local
|   representation of a path.  In particular, a packet containing a type
|   0 Routing header in which all bits in the Strict/Loose Bit Map are
|   equal to 1 contains a complete path specification.  An implementation
|   could use source route information in the local representation of a
|   path.

I see your point, though. I haven't yet seen an implementation store PMTU 
in this manner.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------