Subject: question on rfc2462bis: stateful mechanisms is a MUST?

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:25:30 -0700

The following language from RFC2462 is still in 2462bis:

5.5 Creation of Global Addresses

    Global addresses are formed by appending an interface identifier to a
    prefix of appropriate length. Prefixes are obtained from Prefix
    Information options contained in Router Advertisements. Creation of
    global addresses and configuration of other parameters as described
    in this section SHOULD be locally configurable. However, the
    processing described below MUST be enabled by default.

5.5.2 Absence of Router Advertisements

    If a link has no routers, a host MUST attempt to use stateful
    autoconfiguration to obtain addresses and other configuration
    information. An implementation MAY provide a way to disable the
    invocation of stateful autoconfiguration in this case, but the
    default SHOULD be enabled.

==> Now that we are saying the stateful mechanism is DHCPv6, does this 
implies
         that a host implementation that does not support DHCPv6 client 
is not conformant?
         What about an implementation that does only support DHCPv6-lite 
for DNS discovery?
         If I do not support DHCPv6, can I make the claim that this is 
my way to "disable the
         invocation of sateful autoconfiguration" ?

Alain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:17:30 +0900

>>>>> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:25:30 -0700, 
>>>>> Alain Durand <[email-masked]> said:

>          invocation of sateful autoconfiguration" ?

Before continuing the discussion, please read the following message I
sent last week.

https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/ipv6/current/msg02227.html

I've not seen any responses to this message...I'm not sure if this
means an agreement, but if so, the proposed change will affect your
above question.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]