Subject: Re: Revising PMTUD for IPv6 to DS?

From: Jack McCann USG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:14:28 -0400 (EDT)

RFC 1981 was approved as a Draft Standard in August 1998
(see below).  My attempts to have this corrected this in
STD 1 have been unsuccessful.  Perhaps the chairs would 
have better luck?

- Jack

-------------------------------------------------------
To: IETF-Announce
Cc: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Cc: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Subject: (IPng 6147) Protocol Action: Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6)
         Specifications to Draft Standard
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 06:49:21 -0400

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Draft as
Draft Standards:

o Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification
  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-spec-v2-02.txt> replacing RFC 1883, currently
  a Proposed Standard.

o Neighbor Discovery for IP Version 6 (IPv6)
  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-discovery-v2-03.txt>, replacing RFC1970, currently
  a Proposed Standard

o IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-addrconf-v2-02.txt>, replacing RFC1971, currently
  a Proposed Standard

o Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMPv6) for the Internet Protocol
  Version 6 (IPv6) Specification <draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v2-01.txt>
  replacing RFC 1885, currently a Proposed Standard

The IESG also approved Path MTU Discovery for IP version 6 <rfc1981> as
a Draft Standard.

These documents are the product of the IPNG Working Group. The IESG
contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary

 These documents represent the base protocols for IPv6. The IPv6
 Specification defines the base IPv6 packet format and processing
 rules. The Neighbor Discovery specification defines how to do address
 resolution for neighboring nodes, as well as to how to locate
 neighboring routers. The Stateless Address Autoconfiguration document
 defines how a booting node can generate its own IP addresses without
 the need to maintain configuration information across machine
 restarts. The ICMPv6 specification defines the packet formats and
 processing rules for ICMP for IPv6. The Path MTU Discovery document
 defines how to perform Path MTU in IPv6. All nodes are required to
 implement Path MTU in IPv6; routers do not fragment packets they
 forward.

Working Group Summary

 There is Working Group consensus for the protocols defined in these
 documents. There were two objections raised during Last Call, but the
 objections did not have support of the Working Group. However, a small
 clarification was made to the ICMPv6 spec to make it easier to deploy
 a new ICMP "Packet Too Big" message, should such a message become
 defined.

Protocol Quality

 There are numerous implementations of these protocols, and extensive
 interoperability tests have been done via the UNH consortium and on
 the 6bone. The documents have been reviewed for the IESG by Jeffrey
 Burgan and Thomas Narten.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:31:55 -0700

Jack,

>STD 1 have been unsuccessful.  Perhaps the chairs would

Thanks for reminding us.  We will give it a try.

This certainly resolves Pekka Savola's normative reference issue.

Bob

p.s. Please respond off line to Brian and me with any response you received 
when you tried to fix it.  Thanks.