Subject: [NRO comment on ULA 1] Willingness to operated the registry

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 06:23:25 -0400

1) Would the RIRs (in principle) be willing to operate something like
     this? (My assumption is yes, but I think it would be appropriate to
     hear this directly from the RIRs.)

In principle the RIRs (collectively acting as the NRO) would be willing 
to operate a central registry along the lines described in the draft.

As has been informally indicated in discussions with RIR community
members the RIRs are of the view that this task (operation of the
central assignment registry of Global IDs) is one where the RIRs have
established competency and familiarity. This view was part of the
rationale for responding to earlier version of the draft during its
consideration by the IPv6 Working Group. We also have some concerns over
potential consequences to the entire address distribution function if
IANA were to use another registry to distribute this particular part of
the IPv6 unicast address space.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Dan Lanciani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:15:12 -0400 (EDT)

|We also have some concerns over
|potential consequences to the entire address distribution function if
|IANA were to use another registry to distribute this particular part of
|the IPv6 unicast address space.

Specifically what concerns?  Is address distribution really a single
"function," and, if so, why?

			Dan Lanciani
			ddl@danlan.*com