Subject: RE: WLAN (was Re: IPv6 Host Configuration of Recursive DNS Server)

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:13:39 +0100

> In any discovery this is going to be a problem, since
> any discovery will require multicast at the MAC layer.

Note that if the hub and spoke quality of the 802.11 (enterprise mode)
network was not lost on the way of emulating ethernet, then the
discovery could happen in an alternate fashion, adapted to that L2. Just
like you have inverse ARP for FR networks, you could have a form of
inverse ND, which does not require L2 broadcast.

An example of that: AP could be a master, owning and defending a range
of addresses, and the visitors could get an address from the AP. I
remember discussing that with Nick Moore at the last IETF and his
suggestion to make the 'range' a modulus 2^16, so that in this example
an AP would own all suffixes ending with a given value of the 2 last
bytes, for all values of the first 6 bytes in the suffix. This proposal
allows an AP to defend all its addresses on the wire side using a single
multicast address... 

Pascal

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:17:58 +1000

Hi Pascal,

> allows an AP to defend all its addresses on the wire side using a single

Oh that Nick and his crazy ideas :) ...

I think that the Point-to-Point idea has some merits,
but the applicability is not general.

I think that if we're going to keep the ethernet-like
nature of WLAN (it is a deployed base) then the
hosts which are aware of their performance issues
need to respond to them.

I'll see if I can come up with a reasoned description
of my idea in a draft.

(reasoned may be the difficult part for me).

Greg