Subject: Re: ICMPv3: Message Source Address Determination..

From: Derek Fawcus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:57:11 +0100

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 02:43:44PM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
> Hi All,
> 
> [Please express your opinion.  It is needed to make
> the informed decision.]
> 
> Pekka raised a concern about the usability of one of the
> methods (section 2.2 (c)) to select the source address 
> of the ICMPv3 packet.  I want to know if anyone has 
> implemented it ?  or how useful and practical this 
> method is in your opinion ?
> 
> The decision that I want to make is to whether we should
> keep it in the draft or remove it.

I've not been keeping up with the list recently,  hence the
late response.  But yes,  I implemented this.

The box in question try's to determine the source address
based what (I determined) would be the most useful.  If an
suitable an address couldn't be found one the appropriate
interface,  a set of fallbacks would result in another
(potentially less useful) address being chosen.

e.g. packet filtering - depending upon if it was an ingress or
     egress filter,  I'd choose an address of the incoming or
     outgoing interface.

DF

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------