Subject: Question on rfc2858 - carrying multiple NLRIs

From: "Vijayanand C - CTD, Chennai." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:08:49 +0530

Hello Yakhov,.
In the basic BGP draft, it is stated that multiple NLRIs can be carried in a
single update message only if their path attributes are similar

" Section 3.1
.....................

Multiple routes that have the same path attributes can be advertised in
   a single UPDATE message by including multiple prefixes in the NLRI
   field of the UPDATE message.

"

rfc2858 which talks about carrying MP_REACH_NLRI , gives provision for
carrying nexthop in the mp-reach-nlri itself. The mandatory nexthop
attribute is therefore not used for prefixes in the MP_REACH_NLRI. 

Therefore,can we send two sets of prefexies one in the MP_REACH_NLRI with
its own NExthop  in the NLRI attribute itself and another set of NLRI in the
update message which uses the mandatory next hop attribute. The text in
rfc2858 does nt seem to prohibit this or permit this. 

Specifically, can we carry IPv4 and IPv6 prefixes in the same update message
if all other attributes except the next hop are same. What about the case
where the v6 next hop is derived from v4, ie, a v6 mapped v4  address.

Regards,
Vijay

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------