Subject: [rfc2461bis] Clarify the use of the M and O flags

From: "Soliman Hesham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 06:05:42 -0400

As far as 2461bis is concerned it is stated in the 
current draft that setting the M flag implies that
DHCPv6 is used for address config. If the O flag
is set, the draft refers to DHCPv6 for other config
parameters. RFC 3315 is also referenced. 

Please see section 4.2, definition of the M and O
flags. If there are no further comments I'll close
this issue.

Hesham

===========================================================
This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
 of the intended recipient.  Any review or distribution by others is strictly
 prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender
 and delete all copies.
===========================================================

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:38:48 +0900

>>>>> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 06:05:42 -0400, 
>>>>> "Soliman Hesham" <[email-masked]> said:

> flags. If there are no further comments I'll close

Assuming we've reached a consensus in a similar issue for 2462bis (at
least several people explicitly agreed on the proposal in this list
and I've not seen any objections) and the consensus applies to 2461bis
too, I think the text could be revised a bit more.

Roughly speaking, the "consensus" is:

- clearly specify the protocols for the flags: RFC3315 for M and
  RFC3736 for O
- clarify (change) the meaning of the M/O flags; they are just hints
  of availability of the corresponding services, not triggers for
  invoking the protocols under a certain level of requirement
- leave the actual usage of the M/O flags will be used to a separate
  document.  rfc2462bis mentions the other document

(see the following URL for more details
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg02616.html)

According to the above and to be more aligned with the forthcoming
rfc2462bis, I'd revise the definitions of M/O flags like this:

      M              1-bit "Managed address configuration" flag.  When
                     set, it indicates Dynamic Host Configuration
                     Protocol [DHCPv6] is avialable for address
                     autoconfiguration in addition to any addresses
                     autoconfigured using stateless address
                     autoconfiguration.  More details of this flag is
                     described in [ADDRCONF].

      O              1-bit "Other stateful configuration" flag.  When
                     set, it indicates a subset of DHCPv6 [RFC3736] is
                     available for autoconfiguration of other
                     (non-address) information. Examples of such
                     information are DNS-related information or
                     information on other servers within the
                     network. More details of this flag is described
                     in [ADDRCONF].

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]