Subject: IPv4-in-IPv6 protocol value

From: Radhakrishnan Suryanarayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:29:02 +0530

Hi all,
 If an IPv4 packet is to be carried over an IPv6 packet then the next header field value should be set to 4 (same as IP-in-IP)???? 

RFC 1700 uses the term IP-in-IP which means IPv4-in-IPv4.
RFC 2473 makes no mention about the value to be used, though in all fairness its value 4.

Section 5
"          Next Header:

            The next header value according to [IPv6-Spec] from the
            Assigned Numbers RFC [RFC-1700 or its successors].

            For example, if the original packet is an IPv6 packet, this
            is set to:

                 - decimal value 41 (Assigned Next Header number for
                 IPv6) - if there are no tunnel extension headers.

                 - value 0 (Assigned Next Header number for IPv6 Hop by
                 Hop Options extension header) - if a hop by hop options
                 extension header immediately follows the tunnel IPv6
                 header.

                 - decimal value 60 (Assigned Next Header number for
                 IPv6 Destination Options extension header) - if a
                 destination options extension header immediately
                 follows the tunnel IPv6 header. "

But shouldnt this point be clarified in some RFC (1700 or in 2473)?

regards
radhakrishnan
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------