Subject: RE: Move forward with scoped literal URI format?

From: "Gray, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:52:34 -0500

Bill,

	Interestingly enough, part of this question brings up
an issue with using "_".  In the question below, at least 
for my E-Mail reader, I cannot see the "_" in the URL below
because the entire URL is underlined.

	"http://[fe80::1_de0]/"

	Using "_" introduces a "human readibility" problem. I
mentioned this at the meeting...

--
Eric	

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:57 AM
To: Bill Fenner
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Move forward with scoped literal URI format?

>>>>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:56:15 -0800, 
>>>>> Bill Fenner <[email-masked]> said:

>> Then the browser (parser) implementation would first extract
>> "fe80::1_de0" and pass it to getaddrinfo(3) for converting it to an
>> IPv6 address.  So far, so good, but then the browser would also need
>> to modify the entire URL to:
>> 
>> http://[fe80::1]/
>> 
>> before sending it to the web server on the home router

> This part of the URL is already parsed out before it's sent -
> the GET argument in this case is just "/"; and the "Host:" header
> would contain fe80::1.  Since it already had to parse it out to hand
> it to getaddrinfo, I don't see the problem with reusing that parsed
> result in the HTTP transaction.

I'm not sure if we are synchronized...please let me check the
scenario.  What I wanted to say is:

1. assume we type "http://[fe80::1_de0]/" in "the URL bar" of the
   browser.
2. then the browser parser parses the entire URL and extracts
   "fe80::1_de0" and (the trailing) "/" by recognizing "[" and "]" as
   delimiters.
3. the parser passes "fe80::1_de0" to getaddrinfo(), and gets a
   sockaddr_in6 structure (whose sin6_addr member is "fe80::1" and
   sin6_scope_id member is the link ID corresponding to interface
   "de0").  The browser uses the sockaddr_in6 structure with
   connect(2) to connect to the remote web server.
4. the parser parses "fe80::1_de0" further, and decomposes the string
   to "fe80::1" and "de0" by recognizing "_" as the delimiter.
5. when the connection is established, the browser sets "Host:" to
   "fe80::1" (extracted from "fe80::1_de0" in step 4).

Is this okay so far?  And if so, are you saying that the parsing in
step 4 is not a problem since the parser already has to parse the
input in step 2?

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------