Subject: Re: possible Duplicate addresses in case of healing network partition s

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:56:59 +0900

>>>>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:31:39 +0200, 
>>>>> Grubmair Peter <[email-masked]> said:

> To my mind this also will apply to IPv6, allthough the probility that
> 2 hosts will use the same address will be much smaller than in IPv4.
> But in contrast to <draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-17.txt>
> IPv6 ND provides no means to dedect the situation and handle it in any way.
> Is this correct ?

That's correct.  RFC2462 clearly notes the point in Section 5.4:

   Note that the method for detecting duplicates
   is not completely reliable, and it is possible that duplicate
   addresses will still exist (e.g., if the link was partitioned while
   Duplicate Address Detection was performed).

(rfc2462bis does not change this part, for that matter)

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------