Subject: RE: Flow Label consistency question

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 06:57:05 -0400

> I guess this means that if an ICMP error message is generated then
> the chunk of the original packet quoted by the ICMP error should
> reflect the e2e flow label?

Absolutely.  If that is not done then the implementation or solution is
not compliant to 3697 is my view.

> 
> Using the flow label to validate recieved ICMP error messages is
> quite appealing in light of draft-gont-tcpm-icmp-attacks-03. It
> could also be used for validating ICMP messages generated by UDP
> packets, where sequence numbers are not available but a flow label
> could be set.

Interesting data point and off the top of my head I agree.

/jim

> 	David.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------