Subject: Re: <draft-ietf-ipv6-2461bis-02.txt>

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:01:47 +0900

>>>>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:18:52 +0100, 
>>>>> Grubmair Peter <[email-masked]> said:

> On page 59, 7.2.5 is written:
-> 
> If the Neighbor Cache entry is not in INCOMPLETE state, the receiving
>    node performs the following steps:

>     - It records the link-layer address in the Neighbor Cache entry.

>     - If the advertisement's Solicited flag is set, the state of the
>       entry is set to REACHABLE, otherwise it is set to STALE.

>     - It sets the IsRouter flag in the cache entry based on the Router
>       flag in the received advertisement.

>     - It sends any packets queued for the neighbor awaiting address
>       resolution.
> <-
> In version 1 of the draft the same paragraph was applied to state
> INCOMPLETE.
> The whole paragraph can nor refer to state not INCOMPLETE, as in such a
> state
> There should be no queued packets.

I think you're correct.  This (the "not") should be a misspelling.

I don't know the background of this change, even if we removed the
"not"...  The corresponding part of RFC2461 is:

=======================================================================
   If the target's Neighbor Cache entry is in the INCOMPLETE state when
   the advertisement is received, one of two things happens.  If the
   link layer has addresses and no Target Link-Layer address option is
   included, the receiving node SHOULD silently discard the received
   advertisement.  Otherwise, the receiving node performs the following
   steps:

    - It records the link-layer address in the Neighbor Cache entry.

    - If the advertisement's Solicited flag is set, the state of the
      entry is set to REACHABLE, otherwise it is set to STALE.

    - It sets the IsRouter flag in the cache entry based on the Router
      flag in the received advertisement.

    - It sends any packets queued for the neighbor awaiting address
      resolution.

   Note that the Override flag is ignored if the entry is in the
   INCOMPLETE state.
=======================================================================

and this part of 2461bis now reads:

=======================================================================
   In any state, if the link layer has addresses and an unsolicited
   Neighbor Advertisement is received with the O flag cleared, with no
   Target Link-Layer address option included, the receiving node SHOULD
   silently discard the received advertisement.

   If the target's Neighbor Cache entry is in the INCOMPLETE state when
   the advertisement is received, one of two things happen: If the
   advertisement were solicited, the state is changed to REACHABLE.
   Otherwise, the state is set to STALE. Note that the Override flag is
   ignored if the entry is in the
   INCOMPLETE state.

   If the Neighbor Cache entry is not in INCOMPLETE state, the receiving
   node performs the following steps:

    - It records the link-layer address in the Neighbor Cache entry.

    - If the advertisement's Solicited flag is set, the state of the
      entry is set to REACHABLE, otherwise it is set to STALE.

    - It sets the IsRouter flag in the cache entry based on the Router
      flag in the received advertisement.

    - It sends any packets queued for the neighbor awaiting address
      resolution.
=======================================================================

I suspect the first paragraph (new in 2461bis) tried to catch
something, but the entire result does not seem to implement the
intent...

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------