Subject: Fragmented IPv6 packets

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:11:39 +0530

I have a question on IPv6 fragments.  Since IPv6 mandates a minimum MTU
of 1280,  IPv6 fragments (except the last fragment) should be of minimum
1280 bytes right? When an end host receives an IPv6 fragment which is
lesser than 1280 bytes ( except the last fragment ) , should it treat it
as invalid and drop it or should it still consider the fragment for
reassembly. Are there any IPv6 implementations which reassemble them?

Thanks,
Muthu

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Vishwas Manral" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 22:52:44 -0800

Hi Muthu,

You may want to shift the discussion to the v6ops list instead.

Have a look at the draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-manral-v6ops-tiny-fragments-is
sues-00.txt in the meanwhile.

Thanks,
Vishwas
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 12:12 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Fragmented IPv6 packets

Thanks,
Muthu

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:19:52 -0500

The mandate is on the fragmentation is on the transmitting side (the one
that applies the fragmentation). The receiving side may reassemble these
packets. From at least one implementation (Open BSD) there is no such check.
Also the TAHI test doesn't test for this case.
All of the above and the common sense says that the receiver should assemble
these packets.

Hope this helps!
Shuki

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 1:42 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Fragmented IPv6 packets

Thanks,
Muthu