Subject: Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-deprecate-rh0-00.txt

From: Ryan McBride <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 03:24:31 +0000

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 05:09:34PM -0500, Tim Enos wrote:
> In section 4.2, IMO it would seem good to see a brief justification of
> the statement: "filtering based on the presence of any
>    Routing Headers on IPv6 routers, regardless of type, is strongly
>    discouraged."

In this sentence, is "regardless of type" intented to apply to Routing
Headers, or IPv6 routers?

I'm concerned that this paragraph is getting quoted without the previous
part of the sentence: "Where filtering capabilities do not facilitate
matching specific types of Routing Headers..." Is that an indication of
how it will be interpreted?

-Ryan

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Tim Enos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 10:20:33 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Ryan,

Good point about including the whole sentence; mea culpa! :^\

>Headers, or IPv6 routers?

That said, the "regardless of type" ambiguity that you point out isn't any less so when the entire paragraph is read.

>how it will be interpreted?

Not on my part. Admittedly my error in not including the previous part of the sentence.

Even so, it seems to me that if a router only has the requisite filtering capabilities in software (i.e. without hardware dedicated to the function) its CPU could get pinned.

>-Ryan

Best Regards,

Tim Enos
Rom 8:28