Subject: Routing Header Type 0 way forward

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 16:12:04 -0400

IPv6 WG,
     The chairs have reviewed all the comments and feedback on the
Routing Header Type 0 vulnerability.  The consensus of the working group
is seen as:

     - Deprecate the Type 0 Routing Header
     - Provide guidance to operators to disable RH0 where possible

As a part of the deprecation, implementations should return an ICMP
parameter problem message to the packet source.

     The chairs request that the authors of the two two drafts currently
published discussing the RH0 issue (draft-jabley-ipv6-rh0-is-evil-00.txt
and draft-savola-ipv6-rtheader-00.txt) combine them and publish a single
draft as an IPv6 w.g. document.

     Please make any issues/problems you may have with this approach
known to either the mailing list or the chairs directly.

Regards,
Bob and Brian
IPv6 WG co-chairs

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 11:17:03 -0400

> draft as an IPv6 w.g. document.

Our initial merge has been completed, and the resulting document has  
been submitted. The document should appear in the I-D repository in  
due course.

Those who would like a sneak preview can look here:

   http://www.flapdoodle.org/draft-ietf-ipv6-deprecate-rh0-00.txt

Joe

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 17:39:09 +0200

>   http://www.flapdoodle.org/draft-ietf-ipv6-deprecate-rh0-00.txt

I object to the use of the word "security". More later.