Subject: What about changing default router rules a bit?

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:48:57 +0300

It's not difficult to find even home users with multiple ISP
links. Both ISP's send RA's with different prefixes (A=1).

Host sees now two default routers on link and will have multiple
global addresses. By current rules, host can use either router for
outgoing packets regardless of the selected source address.

I think it would be more sensible to pick the default router from the
set of routers that actually advertised the prefix matching the
selected source address?

This would be a simple way to avoid hitting the filters of the ISP's,
when wrong source address (for that ISP) is used.

The IPv6 architecture assumes all routers on link "co-operate", but I
think that is too much to expect from simple "home routers", the ISP
would be supplying... it's better to put some intelligence into host
requirements?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------