Subject: DHCPv6 - does it have gateway option

From: "Anjali Gajendragadkar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:38:50 +0530

I have installed IPv6 teste bed and configured DHCPv6 server. Can you please
tell me how to configure IPv6 gateway address in DHCPv6

- Anjali
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: John Jason Brzozowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 01:28:24 -0400

Anjali,

Assuming you have a router in your test bed you should configure the same to
transmit router advertisements.

HTH,

John

> tell me how to configure IPv6 gateway address in DHCPv6

=========================================
John Jason Brzozowski (CISSP, RHCT)
Comcast Corporation
e) mailto:[email-masked]
m) 609-377-6594
p) 856-324-2671
=========================================

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:02:27 -0700

presume the absense of a router.

--bill

-- 
--bill

Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and
certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 06:50:28 -0400

Then why do you need a gateway (default router) address?

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Manning [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 2:02 AM
To: John Jason Brzozowski
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: DHCPv6 - does it have gateway option

--bill

-- 
--bill

---

From: Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:14:09 +0930

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:02:27 -0700

> 	presume the absense of a router.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would have any need to configure an
IPv6 gateway address if you don't have a router - a gateway by another
name?

Regards,
Mark.

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:10:43 +0200

> 	presume the absense of a router.

It almost seems like the DHCPv6 designers did...

---

From: "Leino, Tammy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:18:40 -0500

I had this same discussion with the DHCP working group a few weeks back.
The end result was that there should always be an IPv6 router on-link
configured to transmit RAs.  They could not fathom why an IPv6 network
would not have an IPv6 router on-link.  That is why there is
intentionally no DHCPv6 option for distributing the gateway.

Best Regards,
Tammy

---

From: "Leino, Tammy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:18:40 -0500

Best Regards,
Tammy

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:35:59 -0400

Well...I have to respectfully disagree about the reasoning behind the  
decision.  There is no IPv6 default router option in DHCPv6 because  
that information is given to hosts in RAs.  The assumption is that,  
if there is a router willing to act as a default router on a link,  
it's presence will be announced through RAs.  A host that receives no  
RAs can infer that there is no default router (which is a deployment  
scenario the dhc WG certainly understands and can imagine  
encountering in practice); if the host receives configuration from  
DHCPv6 in this scenario, there is no need for a default router option.

- Ralph