Subject: IPv6 address notation for example IPv6 architectures

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:05:08 +0100

Hi 6MAN,

I remember having seen a draft or a section in a draft/rfc that
suggested a certain value for IPv6 addresses in example architectures
(those used only for explanation purposes, not actually deployed
addresses).  Something like this:

      ------   3ffe:1:2:1::1/65  ------
     |Router|-------------------|Router|
      ------                     ------

Is that document alive existing somewhere?  Something along the lines of
section 2.2 Text Representation of Addresses of RFC4291 "IPv6 Addressing
Architecture" which says an example of unicast address is
"2001:DB8::8:800:200C:417A"; but something that indicates which values
exactly to use in a document describing an example (non-deployed)
addressing architecture.

Thanks,

Alex

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
______________________________________________________________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:26:29 +0100

I guess you mean this (IPv6 Address Prefix Reserved for Documentation):

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3849

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
> Responder a: <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:05:08 +0100
> Para: 6MAN <[email-masked]>
> Asunto: IPv6 address notation for example IPv6 architectures
> 
> Hi 6MAN,
> 

**********************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 14:20:46 +0100

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3849

Thanks Jordi, that's precisely what I've been looking for.  I'm going to 
suggest its use (2001:db8) to a non Asian-Pacific region draft, I hope 
that's fine.

It seems to be used in many drafts.

Alex

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:15:13 +0100

Yes, the "region" here is irrelevant of course :-)

Regards,
Jordi

> Responder a: <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 14:20:46 +0100
> Para: <[email-masked]>
> CC: <[email-masked]>
> Asunto: Re: IPv6 address notation for example IPv6 architectures
> 
>> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or
>> confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
>> individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware
>> that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
>> information, including attached files, is prohibited.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

---

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:54:27 +1100

You are looking for 2001:0DB8::/32

The IANA IPv6 registry
[http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-unicast-address-assignments]

says:

      2001:0DB8::/32 has been assigned as a NON-ROUTABLE
      range to be used for documentation purpose [RFC3849].

RFC3849 is the reference
    "IPv6 Address Prefix Reserved for Documentation", June 2004

   Geoff

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:57:34 +0100

>    "IPv6 Address Prefix Reserved for Documentation", June 2004

Thanks Geoff, that's it.

What I'm looking for now is a 2nd documentation prefix, that would 
differ in the first bit.  Such that nobody could say that this prefix X 
has an aggregation relationship with 2001:db8::/32.  Such that I can 
picture a Router with two non-hierarchical non-aggregated prefixes on 
its two interfaces.

The Router on my paper would not ROUTE anything, it's on paper.  But 
some deployed Router may ROUTE between two such prefixes differing on 
the first bit.

Alex

---

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:14:50 +1100

How about 2001:67f:e000::/35 ?

When I look this up in the RIPE db I get:

inet6num:       2001:67f:e000::/35
netname:        ZZ-EXAMPLE-20071031
descr:          Provider Local Registry
                 This is a test LIR
                 ********************************************
                 * This registration is a test registration *
                 * It is used to test the PA Wizard         *
                 * feature of the RIPE NCC LIR Portal       *
                 *                                          *
                 * These addressses are not routed          *
                 ********************************************

(I vaguely recall that RIPE had also allocated an IPv6 documentation 
prefix some years ago, but I can't find it when looking today, so I 
guess that this was deprecated in favour of 2001::0DB8::/32 )

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:04:39 -0000

> What I'm looking for now is a 2nd documentation prefix, that 
> would differ in the first bit.  Such that nobody could say 
> that this prefix X has an aggregation relationship with 
> 2001:db8::/32.  Such that I can picture a Router with two 
> non-hierarchical non-aggregated prefixes on its two interfaces.

You could use a ULA address such as fd67:039d:7a3a::/48
That differs in the first bit. If you don't like the one that
that I suggested, you could try generating your own at
http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/ula/

Note that the generator algorithm is random so even if you 
don't change the MAC address that you enter, you can just keep
clicking on "Generate" until you get an address that looks nice
enough.

--Michael Dillon

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:02:55 +0100

[email-masked] wrote:
> That differs in the first bit.

Thanks - right, that's a good candidate.  E.g. fd67:39d:7a3a::/48 and 
2001:db8::/32 differ in the first bit so no-one could ever say they're 
aggregated - that's what I'm looking for.

It could be a waste though to register it just for use in a Internet 
Draft, I don't want stop others using that particular prefix for their 
real local deployments.

I will however suggest it.  For info, this is about discussion around 
addressing architectures for AUTOCONF WG.

Alex

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:10:14 +0100

> How about 2001:67f:e000::/35 ?

Would have the same first bit ('0') as the 2001:db8::/32.  So although 
some people would say that 2001:67f:e000::/35 and 2001:db8::/32 are two 
completely different prefixes some other people can say they have an 
aggregation relationship - I want to avoid that.

> descr:          Provider Local Registry

Huh? So a Registry also could reserve some addresses for internal use...
ok...

>  guess that this was deprecated in favour of 2001::0DB8::/32 )

I have some vague rememberings of a cca 2001yr draft with a proposal of
reserved addresses for illustration... or maybe that simply became
today's RFC3849 "IPv6 Address Prefix Reserved for Documentation".

Alex

>> differ in the first bit.  Such that nobody could say that this prefix 
>> X has an aggregation relationship with 2001:db8::/32.  Such that I can

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:56:13 -0000

> I will however suggest it.  For info, this is about 
> discussion around addressing architectures for AUTOCONF WG.

As long as it is for discussion there should be no worries 
about colliding with someone else's use of that /48. And there
is no need to register these ULA addresses.

In future, we may add another type of ULA address that is 
centrally registered, and it would probably be a good idea 
to reserve a block from that space for documentation purposes
as well. 

--Michael Dillon