Subject: RANGER

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:32:09 -0700

This message is to introduce a new Internet-Draft titled:

  "Routing and Addressing in Next-Generation EnteRprises (RANGER)"

RANGER is an architectural framework that uses well known
(and in some cases widely-deployed) functional elements.
RANGER is not a technical specification in itself, however
it provides applicability analysis for the combination of
existing and emerging technical specifications. In particular,
it outlines an "enterprise-within-enterprise" framework that
addresses issues such as routing scaling, IPv6/IPv4 coexistence,
link MTU diversity, mobile ad-hoc networking, autoconfiguration,
etc.

The RANGER enterprise network model supports cooperative
operations between diverse organizations that may have
competing interests. The model can therefore be applied
to the global Internet itself.

In order to reduce fragmentation, please post any follow-up
comments or questions to the int-area and rrg lists only.

Fred Templin
[email-masked]    

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-templin-ranger-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Routing and Addressing in Next-Generation
EnteRprises (RANGER)
	Author(s)       : F. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-ranger-00.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2008-10-14

Enterprise networks will require support for both Internet protocol
versions (IPv4 and IPv6) for an indeterminant period; perhaps even
indefinitely.  This is particularly true for existing enterprise
networks that must introduce IPv6 without disruption of IPv4
services, but the same principles apply also to clean-slate
deployments in new enterprises.  Next-generation enterprises
therefore require an architected solution for coordination of their
internal routing and addressing plans for both IPv6 and IPv4.  The
RANGER architecture addresses these requirements.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-ranger-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:09:52 -0700

Eric,

Interesting question, and I'm not entirely sure how to answer
it. But, if it helps, I was just in the process of adding the
following text to Section 3.1 when your message came in:

  "It is important to note that dual-stack systems such as 'V',
   'W' and 'Z' may be simple IPv6/IPv4 hosts, or they may be BRs
   that attach arbitrarily-complex IPv6-only edge networks. Such
   IPv6-only edge networks could be as simple as a home network
   behind a residential gateway, or as complex as a major
   corporate/academic campus, a large service provider network,
   etc."

Comments are welcome,

Fred

>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 3:02 PM
>To: Templin, Fred L
>Cc: Internet Area; [email-masked]; IPv6 Operations; 
>[email-masked]; manet; [email-masked]; DHC WG
>Subject: Re: RANGER
>
>Hi Fred, 
>
>How do you see RANGER fitting into the requirements for 
>carriers to supply 
>IP support (v4/v6) to mobile devices? Especially requirements that are 
>similar to the enterprise ones that you describe? 
>
>Eric 
>
>Templin, Fred L writes: 
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:02:08 -0600

Hi Fred, 

How do you see RANGER fitting into the requirements for carriers to supply 
IP support (v4/v6) to mobile devices? Especially requirements that are 
similar to the enterprise ones that you describe? 

Eric