Subject: [IP-Optical] GFP Header - ring extn header

From: "Hemant P. Kelkar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 07:03:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hi!
Greetings everybody!

Could somebody explain the idea behind Ring Extension Header in GFP Frame?

Regards,
Hemant

_______________________________________________
IP-Optical mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/ip-optical

---

From: Pankaj K Jha <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 08:01:46 -0700

This is to support frames that are designed for ring networks. Notice that in
default pt-to-pt header there are no ring-specific parameters (such as a TTL
to ensure packets don't loop around forever, a bit to reflect a frame is
traveling on a looped protection ring, etc.).

Since 802.17 is still working on frame header structure, the GFP has left open
the definition of ring extension header to 802.17.

=Pankaj