Subject: RE: [Ipoverib] IPoIB - connected mode - Question about connection establishment

From: Dror Goldenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:33:24 +0300

>From section 3.1:
 
                This is a single octet field. If bit 0 is set then it
                implies that in the sender's view,the subnet is built
                over IB's 'reliable connected' i.e. RC mode. If bit 1 is
                set then it implies that the subnet is built over IB's
                "unreliable connected" i.e. UC mode. All other bits in
                the octet are reserved and MUST be set to 0.
                ...
                Both the RC and UC flags MUST not be set at the same
                time.  They are mutually exclusive.
                ...
                Note:
                    The above implies that a given IP subnet can only be
                    supported on one of the InfiniBand modes at any
                    time. If the link layer includes no flags then it is
                    part of an IPoIB-UD subnet, if the link layer
                    includes the RC flag then it is part of an IPoIB-RC
                    subnet, if the link layer includes the UC flag then
                    it is part of an IPoIB-UC subnet.

What I had in mind was a slightly different model. 
 
Each node participating in an IPoIB subnet can declare that it supports 
connected modes beyond UD. For the supported mode, it'll set either 
or both the UC or RC bits in the ARP reply. If a node supports a 
connected mode, then any other node in the subnet is free to create 
a connection with that node through the CM. Obviously, a node that 
initiates a connection to such a node must support the same connection 
mode.

-Dror

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib