Subject: [Ipoverib] A Couple of IPoIB Questions

From: "Hal Rosenstock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:11:25 -0500

Hi,

I have a couple of questions relative to IPoIB:

1. draft-ietf-ipoib-ip-over-infiniband-07.txt states:
"Every IPoIB interface MUST "FullMember" join the IB multicast group defined by the broadcast-GID."

Isn't the broadcast group for IPv4 ? When the IPoIB interface is IPv6 only, does this group still need be joined ?
If not, where do the parameters for any IPv6 groups come from ? I am presuming that this group needs to be joined in 
the IPv6 only case. I just want to be sure.

2. ALso, what is the latest status of the Vivek's connected mode draft ? Will it be moving forward ?

Thanks.

-- Hal

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

---

From: Kanoj Sarcar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:33:46 -0800

Hi,

> Isn't the broadcast group for IPv4 ? When the IPoIB interface is IPv6
> only, does this group still need be joined ?
> If not, where do the parameters for any IPv6 groups come from ? I am
> presuming that this group needs to be joined in

Previously on the WG, we went thru a discussion on this, and the
consensus was that all interfaces (irrespective of ipv4 only, ipv6 only,
or ipv4 and ipv6) MUST join the broadcast-GID and obtain parameters for
all IPv4 and IPv6 groups from this one single broadcast-GID. We further
discussed changing the signature part of the address of the broadcast
group to reflect that it was IPv4 and IPv6 agnostic, but maintained the
IPv4 signature to make it easier for current implementations to make any
required changes to adapt to this rule.

Thanks.

Kanoj

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>