Subject: Call for Agenda Items

From: "Kastenholz, Frank" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 13:37:15 -0400

Packet Ringers...

That time is soon coming when we all start thinking about
the next IETF meeting. 

So, you should all start considering what we should put on
the agenda for our meeeting in London. We will have a review
of the framework draft that Albert is working on.  It's been
delayed for various, uncontrollable events but Albert assures
me that it will be ready in time :-)

Anyone wishing to submit internet drafts/etc for the working group
to consider should follow the guidelines that Bert Wijnen sent out
recently. (Even if your work is going to be submitted to the WG
_after_ the 18th of May). For those who missed it, I've pasted a 
copy of Bert's note below. Of course, if you submit the document to 
for WG consideration after the 18'th of May, it should not go to the 
idsummary@ email address, etc, etc - but the ID should include this 
information _and_ we'd like to see the info in the request for WG time.

Frank-n-Albert
cochairs
===============================================================================

	All, but specifically I-D Authors/Editors

	Over the last several months, we have seen A LOT of I-Ds submitted/posted
	which appear to be targeted for one or more WGs in the new sub-IP area.
	(ccamp, gsmp, ipo, iporpr, tewg, mpls and ppvpn) These are mostly
	individual I-Ds, that is those that do not start with 
	        draft-ietf-<someWgName>
	but this mesage referrs to ALL I-Ds related to the Sub IP WGs.
	In fact we believe we have some 200-300 of such documents.

	It is sort of impossible to try and read them all and decide in which WG
	(if any) they might fit. So in order to help us (WG chairs and ADs) to 
	work our way through all these documents, we want the AUTHORS/EDITORS of 
	such existing documents to do the following:

	- Before May 18th, pls send ONE SINGLE email per I-D to the email alias
  
	       [email-masked]

	  That email should be formatted and contain content as
	  explained below.

	  Pls DO NOT send these emails to any WG mailing list. 

	  The idsummary mailing list will be archived publically at 

	      ftp://subip.ietf.org/pub/lists/idsummary*

	  Since these are non-WG documents (yet) any comments/discussion
	  can/should take place at: 

	      [email-masked]

	  But initially the idea is to just collect the data.

	- When doing a revision of these documents or writing a new I-D,
	  please pls add a section at the beginning of your document that contains
	  the same information we are asking for here so that readers of your
	  document can also see it.

	All these emails will be archived and the WG chairs, ADs, Technical Advisors
	and Directorate will review them and report back (target is end of May)
	what we want to do with each of the documents.

	If we do not receive a note about an I-D we will assume that the I-D
	authors/editors do not intend to publish it as a RFC.

	Further, if you assume this pictorial overview of the work we are doing
	in the sub-IP area, then pls indicate where in the picture your document
	fits.

	   --- pictorial overview of work in the sup-IP area --------------

	  The Working Groups at the top are those that will use the
	  Common Control and Measurement Protocols that we're 
	  defining in the CCAMP WG.

	  Applications         +-------+  +-------+        (new) Hour glass
	  that use CCAMP: \    | TE-WG |  | PPVPN |  ...           /
	                   \   +-------+  +-------+               /
	                    \     +----------------------+       /
	                     \    |         CCAMP        |      /
	                      \   |-----------+----------|     /  
	                      /   |   C       |    M   --|------ IGP LSA ext
	                     /    | control   | measure  |     \  
	                    /     +----------------------+      \
	  Technologies to  / +----+ +----+ +----+ +----+ +----+  \
	  measure/control:/  |MPLS| |OPT | |RPR | |ATM | | FR |...\
	                     +----+ +----+ +----+ +----+ +----+

	  The technologies at the bottom allow us to create paths and so those
	  are the ones we want to measure and control via the Common Control
	  and Measurement Protocols coming out of CCAMP. One of those 
	  technologies (MPLS) is defined by IETF, others are (have been) defined 
	  in other standards organisations. However, we want to focus mainly on 
	  the use of such technologies for IP.

	  So for example the IPO and IPORPR WGs are assumed to be active at 
	  the bottom because we want to focus on the IP use of such technologies.

	Bert and Scott
	--------------------
	The ONE SINGLE email per I-D should be as follows:

	-  Subject: <targetWgName> <nameOfID>
   
	   the targetWgName is the WG that you as authors/editors
	   think that this document should live in. If you have no specific
	   WG as the target WG, then use subIP as the name.

	   the nameOfID is the filename of the draft, e.g. draft-xxx-yyy-zzz-00.txt

	- In the body of the email must have the following sections with these 
	  section titles:
	
	NAME OF I-D:

	  Write it down as a URL so we can click on it to see it.  e.g. 

	  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-xxx-yyy-zzz-00.txt

	SUMMARY

	  This should contain a summary of the content of the document
	  Potentially it can be the abstract. But pls make sure that it helps
	  the reader undestand what the document is all about.
	  PLEASE TRY TO KEEP IT DOWN TO TWO PARAGRAPHS

	RELATED DOCUMENTS

	  A list of URLs for other I-Ds (or non-IETF documents) that you think
	  relate, compete, complement or overlap with your document.  "none" 
	  if none
	
	WHERE DOES IT FIT IN THE PICTURE OF THE SUB-IP WORK

	  Applications         +-------+  +-------+        (new) Hour glass
	  that use CCAMP: \    | TE-WG |  | PPVPN |  ...           /
	                   \   +-------+  +-------+               /
	                    \     +----------------------+       /
	                     \    |         CCAMP        |      /
	                      \   |-----------+----------|     /  
	                      /   |   C       |    M   --|------ IGP LSA ext
	                     /    | control   | measure  |     \  
	                    /     +----------------------+      \
	  Technologies to  / +----+ +----+ +----+ +----+ +----+  \
	  measure/control:/  |MPLS| |OPT | |RPR | |ATM | | FR |...\
	                     +----+ +----+ +----+ +----+ +----+

	WHY IS IT TARGETED AT THIS WG

	  You must explain how the ID addresses a workitem in the current WG
	  charter as listed on the WG charter page on the IETF web site. If
	  it addresses only part of a work item, then please explain if there
	  are other documents that could be merged with this one to become one
	  document to address the complete work item.

	JUSTIFICATION

	  Why do you think it is justified for the WG to consider this document.

	  In the case that you cannot explain how this document addresses
	  a specific WG charter work item, then explain and justify why the
	  WG should even consider this work and what the description of 
	  a possible new work item would be for the WG. Suggest possible
	  milestones for that work item.

	  Please realize, that new work items need wide support within a
	  WG, but also they need agreement from the WG chairs and ADs,
	  and even when they get that, the whole IESG and IAB must review and
	  approve new-work items before they get added to a WG charter.

	  Please understand that we already have a lot of work in our WG
	  charters, and that we would rather see that finished (or at le

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 14:34:36 -0400

We should discuss undertaking joint work with 802.17
to develop an SNMP MIB for IP over 802.17.

Ran
[email-masked]

---

From: "Kastenholz, Frank" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 15:34:09 -0400

are you volunteering to do it?