Subject: IPORPR WG Planning

From: Albert Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:08:45 -0400

In order to open up discussions for planning the
future of the IPORPR Working Group, we would like
to present the following:

1. Our charter shows completion of the framework
   document in August. However, IEEE 802.17 is
   open to all proposals until November. We suggest
   the working group continue refining the 
   framework document until then.

2. We encourage individual cross participation between the
   IEEE and IETF now and after November. These cross 
   participation may result in continued modifications
   to the framework. 

3. We will keep the framework document active as an Internet
   Draft. This is a bureaucratic measure since it's easy to
   revise and update Internet Drafts, not so RFCs. This way,
   the framework can be kept current with respect to the work
   going on in IEEE.

4. The working group will go semi-dormant after November.
   The mailing list will remain. Should the individual 
   participation in IEEE bring up issues for discussion
   in the IETF, those discussions will go on our
   mailing list.

5. After November, IPORPR will have to wait until 802.17 
   comes close to producing final specs. Once that happens,
   IPORPR will recharter itself to develop any needed 
   protocol(s) for "IP over 802.17" (e.g., MIBs, 
   encapsulations, etc).

Discussion on the mailing list is encouraged. We will also discuss
these items at the London meeting.

Frank Kastenholz & Albert Herrera
Chairs - IPORPR Working Group