Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-amenyo-consion-sigint-optnet-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 07:02:36 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: ConSION: Control & Signaling Intelligence Overlay 
                          Ntworks for Optical Networking
	Author(s)	: J. Amenyo
	Filename	: draft-amenyo-consion-sigint-optnet-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 16-Aug-01
	
When one extrapolates from the ongoing evolutionary trends of IP 
router / switch development and its role in the build-out of optical 
core, edge, access and enterprise networks, it is reasonable to 
reach the almost inescapable conclusion that within a few years, 
there will be a complete physical separation of the commercial 
equipment embodying various concerns, aspects, roles and functions 
of data communications, Namely, 
1. Separate equipment for transport (transmission, switching and 
multiplexing) and traffic forwarding. 
2. Separate equipment concerned with control, signaling, traffic 
engineering, provisioning, protection and restoration control, as 
well as, traffic and flow management, (generalized 'softswitches'). 
3. Separate equipment for network management, operations support, 
measurement & metering, OAMP, inter-OSS, engineering management 
(including performance management, availability management, security 
management, accounting management), as well as life cycle support.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-amenyo-consion-sigint-optnet-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-amenyo-consion-sigint-optnet-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-amenyo-consion-sigint-optnet-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.