Subject: [IPORPR] Comments on IPoRPR core draft

From: "Vinay Bannai" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:00:40 -0800

Frank,

Here are my comments

Thanks
Vinay
-----------------------

Page 1 - Remove the paragraph
        A later specification will build upon this standard.  It will
        make more of the features and capabilities of IEEE 802.17
        networks available to IP and MPLS and specify the techniques to
        use those features.
I don't think this paragraph has a place in this draft.

Page 3 - RPR is described as a dual counter rotating rings with destination
stripping. There are instances where the packets are not necessarily
destination stripped.
Page 3 - "IEEE 802.17 includes MAC-level protocols to determine the "best"
path to each destination.". Please rephrase this sentence as follows "IEEE
802.17 includes MAC-level protocols to determine the "best" path to each
destination and also provide a interface to the MAC client to send packets
on either ringlet."
Page 3 - Rephrase the sentence "Class A provides low delay and low delay
variation" to "Class A provides bounded end to end delay and jitter
guarantees".

Page 5 - Section 5.2 is not necessary. You can specify that the same
ethertypes values are valid as for other MAC. Otherwise you will have to
include all the ethertypes.

Page 6 - The sentence "The first byte of the IPv4 header, IPv6 header, or
top MPLS label begins immediately after the 802.17 headers." is entirely
true. You can have packets with VLAN encapsulation.

Page 6 - Section 5.5, I don't quite understand what you mean by saying
trailer encapsulation is NOT specified.

BTW, I don't think this draft should be making any references to MPLS at
all. This draft is supposed to define behavior of IP over RPR networks. The
use of MPLS is optional and does not fit into the context of this draft at
all.

.

_______________________________________________
IPORPR mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iporpr