Subject: RE: [IPORPR] Recharter IPoRPR WG

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:16:02 +0100

Glenn,

I think that the group should also cover the mapping of MPLS over RPR.

Moreover, regarding ITU SG15 relationships, I think we need to include also
Q.11/15 and Q.12/15 in addition to Q.9/15 because all of these three questions
are currently considering RPR.

Below you can find a proposed revised version of the "Description of Working
Group".

Best regards, Italo

Description of Working Group:

Resilient Packet Rings (RPR), developed within the IEEE 802.17 RPR WG, provides
substantial enhancements in both efficiency and flexibility over current
bi-directional ring topologies. Benefits of resilient packet rings include
spatial re-use (full utilization of both counter-rotating rings) while
maintaining protection switching during media faults, as well as defined
mechanisms for topology discovery, congestion control, and protection switching.
Reference the IEEE 802.17 RPR WG at http://www.ieee802.org/17/ for further
information.  IEEE 802.17-2004 is currently published and work is in progress on
bridging enhancements.

The IPORPR Working Group will produce two documents:

   1) An IPORPR Framework that describes some of the features and
      characteristics of 802.17 RPR, and how they might be exploited
      by, e.g., IP or MPLS. For example, an RPR ring can be accessed
      in a number of ways: it can be viewed as a "dumb" LAN supporting
      traditional broadcast a la Ethernet (called "basic mode"), or its
      advanced features could be exploited.

   2) An IPORPR definition of how to transport IP and MPLS over 802.17 RPR in
      "basic mode". This document will cover encapsulation formats
      (e.g., IPv4/IPv6, MPLS), how to perform address resolution (e.g., ARP/ND),
IP
      multicast transmission, priority mapping to the RPR
      "serviceClass", etc.

There are no formal liaisons between the IPORPR working group and
other standards bodies.  However, cross participation is encouraged in the key
RPR activities in these standards bodies:
- IEEE 802.17  (http://www.ieee802.org/17/)
- ITU-T SG15 Q9 (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q9.html)
- ITU-T SG15 Q11 (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q11.html)
- ITU-T SG15 Q12 (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q12.html)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Glenn
Parsons
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 00:29
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPORPR] Recharter IPoRPR WG

Folks,
The IPoRPR WG has been in hibernation for quite some time.  Given the
publication of IEEE 802.17 last year, it is time to shut down this WG...  or
recharter and do something.
Assuming there is some interest in the latter, I have attached a revised charter
proposal that our AD will be reviewing with the IESG shortly.
Let us know if you have any comments.
Cheers,
Glenn Parsons
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
IPORPR mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iporpr

---

From: "Glenn Parsons" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:05:33 -0500

Italo,

Thanks for the review.

IP and MPLS encapsulation over RPR are in charter -- though I can see that
is not completely clear from the latest version of the charter.

And the intent is coordination with all of ITU-T SG15 with Q9 being the
coordination point as it has been in the past.

Cheers,
Glenn.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 8:16 AM
To: Parsons, Glenn [CAR:1A14:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [IPORPR] Recharter IPoRPR WG

Glenn,

Moreover, regarding ITU SG15 relationships, I think we need to include also
Q.11/15 and Q.12/15 in addition to Q.9/15 because all of these three
questions are currently considering RPR.

Best regards, Italo

Resilient Packet Rings (RPR), developed within the IEEE 802.17 RPR WG,
provides substantial enhancements in both efficiency and flexibility over
current bi-directional ring topologies. Benefits of resilient packet rings
include spatial re-use (full utilization of both counter-rotating rings)
while maintaining protection switching during media faults, as well as
defined mechanisms for topology discovery, congestion control, and
protection switching. Reference the IEEE 802.17 RPR WG at
http://www.ieee802.org/17/ for further information.  IEEE 802.17-2004 is
currently published and work is in progress on bridging enhancements.

   2) An IPORPR definition of how to transport IP and MPLS over 802.17 RPR
in
      "basic mode". This document will cover encapsulation formats
      (e.g., IPv4/IPv6, MPLS), how to perform address resolution (e.g.,
ARP/ND), IP
      multicast transmission, priority mapping to the RPR
      "serviceClass", etc.

There are no formal liaisons between the IPORPR working group and other
standards bodies.  However, cross participation is encouraged in the key RPR
activities in these standards bodies:
- IEEE 802.17  (http://www.ieee802.org/17/)
- ITU-T SG15 Q9 (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q9.html)
- ITU-T SG15 Q11 (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q11.html)
- ITU-T SG15 Q12 (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q12.html)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Glenn Parsons
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 00:29
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPORPR] Recharter IPoRPR WG

Folks,
The IPoRPR WG has been in hibernation for quite some time.  Given the
publication of IEEE 802.17 last year, it is time to shut down this WG...  or
recharter and do something. Assuming there is some interest in the latter, I
have attached a revised charter proposal that our AD will be reviewing with
the IESG shortly. Let us know if you have any comments. Cheers, Glenn
Parsons [email-masked]

---

From: "Albert Herrera" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:11:15 -0500

Glenn,
 
I know we're encouraging cross participation between the standards bodies but we really need a free and easy flow of information between IPORPR, IEEE 802.17 and ITU-T SG15 on established and developing specifications specially for those working towards RFCs within the IETF. I know we casually
discussed this a while back but we don't have a mechanism nor an official notice from the other standards bodies as to how we are to facilitate this.
 
We have to address this before starting work on the drafts.
 
Thanks,
Albert
 
Albert Herrera
TELUS National Systems

________________________________

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Glenn Parsons
	Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 12:06 PM
	To: [email-masked]
	Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
	Subject: RE: [IPORPR] Recharter IPoRPR WG

	Italo, 

	Thanks for the review. 

	IP and MPLS encapsulation over RPR are in charter -- though I can see that is not completely clear from the latest version of the charter.

	And the intent is coordination with all of ITU-T SG15 with Q9 being the coordination point as it has been in the past. 

	Cheers, 
	Glenn. 

	-----Original Message----- 
	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 8:16 AM 
	To: Parsons, Glenn [CAR:1A14:EXCH] 
	Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked] 
	Subject: RE: [IPORPR] Recharter IPoRPR WG 

	Glenn, 

	Moreover, regarding ITU SG15 relationships, I think we need to include also Q.11/15 and Q.12/15 in addition to Q.9/15 because all of these three questions are currently considering RPR.

	Below you can find a proposed revised version of the "Description of Working Group". 

	Best regards, Italo 

	Resilient Packet Rings (RPR), developed within the IEEE 802.17 RPR WG, provides substantial enhancements in both efficiency and flexibility over current bi-directional ring topologies. Benefits of resilient packet rings include spatial re-use (full utilization of both counter-rotating rings)
while maintaining protection switching during media faults, as well as defined mechanisms for topology discovery, congestion control, and protection switching. Reference the IEEE 802.17 RPR WG at http://www.ieee802.org/17/ for further information.  IEEE 802.17-2004 is currently published and work is
in progress on bridging enhancements.

	   2) An IPORPR definition of how to transport IP and MPLS over 802.17 RPR in 
	      "basic mode". This document will cover encapsulation formats 
	      (e.g., IPv4/IPv6, MPLS), how to perform address resolution (e.g., ARP/ND), IP 
	      multicast transmission, priority mapping to the RPR 
	      "serviceClass", etc. 

	There are no formal liaisons between the IPORPR working group and other standards bodies.  However, cross participation is encouraged in the key RPR activities in these standards bodies:

	-----Original Message----- 
	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Glenn Parsons 
	Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 00:29 
	To: [email-masked] 
	Subject: [IPORPR] Recharter IPoRPR WG 

	Folks, 
	The IPoRPR WG has been in hibernation for quite some time.  Given the publication of IEEE 802.17 last year, it is time to shut down this WG...  or recharter and do something. Assuming there is some interest in the latter, I have attached a revised charter proposal that our AD will be
reviewing with the IESG shortly. Let us know if you have any comments. Cheers, Glenn Parsons [email-masked]

---

From: "Wil Costales" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:38:02 -0800

I agree with Albert,  we should address the issues and order a process to
facilitate between these standard bodies (i.e. liaisons ).  Once we develop
this roadmap we can have a better understanding for the tasks at hand.

Best Regards,

Wil Costales

Netelisys Inc.

980 Ninth Street, Suite 1644

Sacramento, CA 95814

Office:       (916)-729-0793

Fax:          (916)-244-0145

Toll Free: (866)-805-6515

Email: [email-masked]

Web:   www.netelisys.com <http://www.netelisys.com/> 

     NETELISYS Inc.

   "Architects Of Intelligent Networks"

In God We Trust <mailto:[email-masked]> 
This electronic message transmission (including any attachments) may be
protected by the client privilege and/or work product doctrine and contains
information from Netelisys Inc. This information is privileged and
confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or
entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information
is prohibited. PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY US THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS
MESSAGE IN ERROR AND DELETE IT. THANK YOU

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Albert Herrera
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 7:11 PM
To: Glenn Parsons; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [IPORPR] Recharter IPoRPR WG

Glenn,

I know we're encouraging cross participation between the standards bodies
but we really need a free and easy flow of information between IPORPR, IEEE
802.17 and ITU-T SG15 on established and developing specifications specially
for those working towards RFCs within the IETF. I know we casually discussed
this a while back but we don't have a mechanism nor an official notice from
the other standards bodies as to how we are to facilitate this.

Thanks,

Albert

Albert Herrera

TELUS National Systems

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Glenn Parsons

Italo, 

Thanks for the review. 

Cheers, 
Glenn. 

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 8:16 AM 
To: Parsons, Glenn [CAR:1A14:EXCH] 
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked] 
Subject: RE: [IPORPR] Recharter IPoRPR WG 

Glenn, 

Best regards, Italo 

-----Original Message----- 

Folks,

---

From: "Glenn Parsons" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:43:43 -0500

Folks,
 
Thanks for the comments on liaisons.
 
Since you may be unaware, I have been acting as an informal liaison between
the IETF, IEEE 802.17 and ITU-T SG15 on the topic of RPR for the past year
or more.
 
The original charter stated no formal liaisons, so I did not change it.
However, I will discuss with our AD if making it formal would be
appropriate.
 
That said, it is my view that there is currently no disconnect between any
of these groups.  And that if there ever was, it would be my responsibility
to resolve it.
 
Cheers,
Glenn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wil Costales [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 10:38 PM
To: 'Albert Herrera'; Parsons, Glenn [CAR:1A14:EXCH]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [IPORPR] Recharter IPoRPR WG

Best Regards,

Wil Costales

Netelisys Inc.

Sacramento, CA 95814

Office:       (916)-729-0793

Fax:          (916)-244-0145

Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

  _____  

Glenn,

Thanks,

Albert

Albert Herrera

TELUS National Systems

  _____  

Italo, 

Thanks for the review. 

Cheers, 
Glenn. 

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 8:16 AM 
To: Parsons, Glenn [CAR:1A14:EXCH] 
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked] 
Subject: RE: [IPORPR] Recharter IPoRPR WG 

Glenn, 

Best regards, Italo 

Resilient Packet Rings (RPR), developed within the IEEE 802.17 RPR WG,
provides substantial enhancements in both efficiency and flexibility over
current bi-directional ring topologies. Benefits of resilient packet rings
include spatial re-use (full utilization of both counter-rotating rings)
while maintaining protection switching during media faults, as well as
defined mechanisms for topology discovery, congestion control, and
protection switching. Reference the IEEE 802.17 RPR WG at
http://www.ieee802.org/17/ <http://www.ieee802.org/17/>  for further
information.  IEEE 802.17-2004 is currently published and work is in
progress on bridging enhancements.

- IEEE 802.17  (http://www.ieee802.org/17/ <http://www.ieee802.org/17/> ) 
- ITU-T SG15 Q9 (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q9.html
<http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q9.html> ) 
- ITU-T SG15 Q11 (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q11.html
<http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q11.html> ) 
- ITU-T SG15 Q12 (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q12.html
<http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q12.html> ) 

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ]On Behalf Of Glenn Parsons 
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 00:29 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: [IPORPR] Recharter IPoRPR WG 

Folks,