Subject: [Ipoverib] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-strahm-ibconn-mib-00.txt

From: "Bill Strahm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:55:41 -0700

Here is the long delayed Connection MIB (originally named the Channel
Adapter MIB)

Please comment, I want to update this by the Nov 14th Cutoff.

Can I also get positive comments (or negative too) that this should be a WG
item... Note that short term I am stuck determining Rough Consensus on this
document, if either Thomas, or Erik (our area directors) would pipe up and
volunteer either themselves or another volunteer I would REALLY REALLY
REALLY appreciate it.

Bill
+========+=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+
Bill Strahm     Software Development is a race between Programmers
Member of the   trying to build bigger and better idiot proof software
Technical Staff and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better
[email-masked] idiots.
(503) 601-0263  So far the Universe is winning --- Rich Cook

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 4:03 AM
To: IETF-Announce:
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-strahm-ibconn-mib-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Infiniband Connection MIB
	Author(s)	: B. Strahm
	Filename	: draft-strahm-ibconn-mib-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 22-Oct-01

This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
In particular, it defines objects for managing the InfiniBand
Connection Manager (http://www.infinibandta.org)

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-strahm-ibconn-mib-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-strahm-ibconn-mib-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-strahm-ibconn-mib-00.txt".

NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-strahm-ibconn-mib-00.txt

---

From: "Harnedy, Sean" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:46:01 -0400

Bill,
Good job on the IB Connection MIB. Here are my comments:

Comments on draft-strahm-ibconn-mib-00.txt

Page 6:
In IMPORTS section "Gauge32" and "InterfaceIndex FROM IF-MIB" should be
removed (most MIB compilers generate warnings for unused IMPORTS
entries; If we go with the scheme of defining the top level experimental
node in the TC draft, the final IMPORTS entry should be changed to
"infinibandMIB FROM IPOVERIB-TC-MIB; Also, if the TCs on page 7 are
moved to the IPOVERIB TC MIB the proper IMPORTS references would need to
be added; There is an extra set of quotation marks in the ORGANIZATION
construct. Email is not a valid ASN.1 construct; The module identity at
the bottom of page 6 can be changed to "::= { infinibandMIB 2 }" (the WG
needs agree on the numbers we use here). 

Page 7:
Textual conventions can be moved to IPOVERIB-TC-MIB; In Objects it
should be { ibConnMIB 1 } and { ibConnMIB 2 }; the next object
identifier should be "ibConnMIBObjects" (MIB compilers are
case-sensitive).

Page 8:
The "ibConnUDTable" has no columns if the three indexes are used. If
these 3 objects are indexes they should have MAX-ACCESS as
not-accessible. An alternative would be to introduce a table index and
then make the 3 current objects columns in the table. (A table without
columns seems strange: there is nothing to get!!). 

Page 9:
"ibConnMIBObjects" has wrong casing.

Page 10:
Same as Page 8; you have modeled a table with no columns; if this is
true indexes should all have MAX-ACCESS of not-accessible. Again a table
index might be better and move the objects into the columns.

Page 12:
"ibConnMIBObjects" has wrong casing.

Page 13:
Same as 8; indexes should be not-accessible. 

Page 14:
Description for ibConnState should be clearer or made into REFERENCE to
IB documentation.

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Harnedy
Principal Software Engineer
InfiniSwitch Corporation.
134 Flanders Road
Westborough, MA 01581.
1-508-599-6388
http://www.infiniswitch.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Strahm [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 12:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ipoverib] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-strahm-ibconn-mib-00.txt

Can I also get positive comments (or negative too) that this should be a
WG
item... Note that short term I am stuck determining Rough Consensus on
this
document, if either Thomas, or Erik (our area directors) would pipe up
and
volunteer either themselves or another volunteer I would REALLY REALLY
REALLY appreciate it.

Bill

-----Original Message-----

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-strahm-ibconn-mib-00.txt".

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

---

From: "Harnedy, Sean" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:19:00 -0400

I believe this MIB should become a WG item.

Sean Harnedy

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Strahm [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 12:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ipoverib] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-strahm-ibconn-mib-00.txt

Bill

-----Original Message-----

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

---

From: Brian Forbes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:55:05 -0700

I, too, believe this MIB should become a WG item.

Brian Forbes
Brocade Communications 

-----Original Message-----
From: Harnedy, Sean [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 2:19 PM
To: Bill Strahm; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ipoverib] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-strahm-ibconn-mib-00.txt

Sean Harnedy

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Strahm [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 12:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ipoverib] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-strahm-ibconn-mib-00.txt

Bill

-----Original Message-----

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type: