Subject: [ipoverib] SDP Capability Bit

From: "Larsen, Roy K" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:22:21 -0800

I believe there is agreement for providing a mechanism in an IPoIB ARP to
indicate additional capabilities of the IPoIB infrastructure.  There has
been some discussion as to whether we should tackle the definition of these
bits at this time without the definition of the corresponding protocol.  I
agree with this position.

However, there is an IBA protocol definition that has a dependency on the
IPoIB address resolution protocol.  This is the Sockets Direct Protocol
(SDP) outlined in the Annex B draft.  The dependency is specified in section
B.4.

Given the interdependency of IPoIB and SDP, I propose that an SDP capability
bit be defined in the link address of an IPoIB ARP.  This will allow a node
to recognize that a target node supports SDP when it asks the IPoIB
implementation to resolve a target node address.

Comments?

Roy

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

---

From: Yaron Haviv <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:26:42 +0200

Roy,

As one of the advocates of SDP (Socket Direct) I would also like to see a
mechanism for it
However, I agree with Jim that first thing first lets finish this RFC

For the future it was mentioned several times that we could add a capability
bit for it
Or Jim could add his own proposal if it doesn't work for MS
I agree with you that we must provide a mechanism for it within IP over IB

I suggest postponing this issue for now, don't worry it wont be forgotten,
not by me

Yaron

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Larsen, Roy K
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 3:22 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ipoverib] SDP Capability Bit

Comments?

Roy

---

From: "Larsen, Roy K" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:46:28 -0800

It seems my proposal was a little premature.  I'd like to postpone its
consideration until after we finalize the encapsulation draft.

Roy

-----Original Message-----
From: Larsen, Roy K [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 5:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ipoverib] SDP Capability Bit

Comments?

Roy