Subject: [Ipoverib] HW address - VRRP Protocol

From: Yaron Haviv <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:09:16 +0200

Since Jerry asked for more protocols that relate to the HW address, here is
another one

VRRP – Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (RFC 2338)
Is a very important protocol for implementing default gateway fail-over and
load distribution 
An updated draft at -
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-v2-06.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-v2-06.txt> 

It defines a well known 48 bit (Ethernet) HW address (00-00-5E-00-01-{VRID})
Since I believe IB community wouldn’t like to harm VRRP functionality, we
need to probably provide well known addresses to VRRP over IB (IPoIB), there
might be more issues around the GID to LID mapping, and crossing IB subnet  

Example well known IPoIB VRRP address:
Use 48 to 64 bit EUI encapsulation method for the new GID address 
00-00-5E-FF-FF-00-01-{VRID}
maybe add a well known QP to complete the 20 byte address 
e.g. QP 2 (since 0 = SMI, 1 = GSI)

We might need to deal with it at the SM (Path Record) somehow 

Yaron

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib