Subject: RE: [Ipoverib] HW address - VRRP Protocol

From: Yaron Haviv <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 18:11:55 +0200

Recently I raised the issue of VRRP protocol and HW addresses

The problem in VRRP over IB is that the HW addresses are well known
addresses
Currently such well-known HW addresses are not supported in IB, also VRRP HW
addresses are 48-bit

We can easily add an IB well known VRRP address, which will obey the EUI
rules (see my original email)
The main problem is that in the case of a fail-over, the backup node needs
to take over the original HW address
(It could easily do so in Ethernet by sending out any packet on the wire
that will generate an update in the spanning tree, nothing should be done at
the host in a fail-over situation, it doesn't involve updating the ARP cache
since the HW address and IP are the same)

This could either be done by just taking over the GID, keep a different LID,
or by taking over both the GID and LID which will avoid the problem of
invalid cached path information
The GID/LID take over capability can serve IB not just for IPoIB but also to
any other fail-over mechanism (nodes, routers, etc')
it probably involves having the SM update the subnet routing tree, and
forwarding tables in switches, it might also consists on the already defined
multi-pathing IB mechanisms (LMC, APM, ..)
any suggestions for solutions are welcomed !!!

VRRP is a very important protocol, which is the prevailing standard for
routers fail-over, supported by all major vendors
IB, which is known for its high-availability, cannot allow it self not to
support VRRP

Yaron

>-----Original Message-----
>From:  [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]  On Behalf
>Of Yaron Haviv
>Sent:  Sunday, March 24, 2002 2:09 PM
>To:    [email-masked]'
>Subject:       [Ipoverib] HW address - VRRP Protocol
>
>Since Jerry asked for more protocols that relate to the HW address, here is
>another one
>VRRP - Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (RFC 2338)
>Is a very important protocol for implementing default gateway fail-over and
>load distribution
>An updated draft at -
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-v2-06.txt
><http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-v2-06.txt>
>
>It defines a well known 48 bit (Ethernet) HW address
(00-00-5E-00-01-{VRID})
>Since I believe IB community wouldn't like to harm VRRP functionality, we
>need to probably provide well known addresses to VRRP over IB (IPoIB),
there
>might be more issues around the GID to LID mapping, and crossing IB subnet
>Example well known IPoIB VRRP address:
>Use 48 to 64 bit EUI encapsulation method for the new GID address
>00-00-5E-FF-FF-00-01-{VRID} maybe add a well known QP to complete the 20
>byte address e.g. QP 2 (since 0 = SMI, 1 = GSI)
>We might need to deal with it at the SM (Path Record) somehow
>Yaron
>
>_______________________________________________
>IPoverIB mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib