Subject: RE: [Ipoverib] IPoIB multicast

From: "Larsen, Roy K" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:17:29 -0700

I'm reluctant to comment on the multicast proposal given that multicast
semantics and services are likely to be changed by the IBTA.  However, I do
have some questions on IGMP that would apply in any case and would
appreciate any clarifications from those familiar with IP routing protocols.

As I understand it, when an application listens on a multicast address, the
IP stack asked the associated link driver to add a multicast group (i.e.
SIOCADDMULTI) and the IGMP protocol on that node will send a report
addressed to the newly added multicast group.  IP routers have set their
network interfaces to receive all multicast traffic so they have the
opportunity to receive the report.  But, since multicast is unreliable, what
happens if the report does not reach one or more routers.  How do they
recover from this situation?

Roy

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

---

From: Vandana Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:30:30 -0700

Routers have the option of querying nodes for all associated multicast 
addresses associated with its interfaces.
-Vandana