Subject: [Ipoverib] Comments on Channel Adapter MIB

From: Larry Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:36:48 -0700

Dear IPOIB WG,

I have a few comments about the IPoverIB Channel Adapter MIB.

Since there may be multiple channel adapters within a node, I'd like to
suggest that the MIB be modified to support multiple channel adapters.

On the ibCaNodeGuid object within the ibCaGeneralInfo group, it seems to me
that the scope of this object is not within a channel adapter, but rather
within the node. From a practical perspective, I realize that a node GUID is
burned into to each Channel Adapter by the manufacturer, but when a node has
multiple channel adapters, I assume that the node should resolve them to a
single node GUID. Perhaps I am wrong?

On the ibCaPortGuid object within the ibCaGeneralInfo group, since there may
be multiple ports per channel adapter, I am uncertain to which port this
object is referencing. Perhaps there should be a table of port GUIDs?

When referencing a channel adapter port, it would be very nice to be able to
correlate the port with an ifIndex number. Why? Because SNMP management
systems view ports from an interface (ifIndex) perspective. This would
provide a relationship between the IPoIB CA MIB and IPoIB IF MIB.

Thanks,

Larry Butler
Manager, Embedded Software Development
JNI Corporation
10945 Vista Sorrento Parkway
San Diego, CA 92130
858-523-7149 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 3:36 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ipoverib] I-D
ACTION:draft-ietf-ipoib-channel-adapter-mib-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP over InfiniBand Working Group of the
IETF.

	Title		: Definitions of Managed Objects for Infiniband
Channel 
                          Adapters (CA)
	Author(s)	: S. Harnedy
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipoib-channel-adapter-mib-02.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 28-Jun-02
	
This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) 
for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.  
In particular, it defines objects for managing InfiniBand Channel 
Adapters (CA).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipoib-channel-adapter-mib-02.
txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipoib-channel-adapter-mib-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipoib-channel-adapter-mib-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib