Subject: RE: [Ipoverib] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipoib-ibif-mib-03.txt

From: Larry Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:35:53 -0700

All,

I am having a problem implementing the ibIfVLTrafficTable and the MIB-II
ifTable counters.

The reason I am having difficulties is that the IBA chip that we are using
defines port based performance counters that must be set up in a sampling
mode just like a PMA would set up sampling of these counters.

Here is an experpt from the chip data sheet:
"The management application first determines the node's sampling
capabilities via the PerformanceGet
performance-management method in the PortSampleControl attribute. The
performance-management agent
responds with the number and width of available counters, the quantities
that can be sampled, and the basic
time intervals. The application can use this information to compute the
maximum test interval that does not
cause the counters to overflow. The management application initiates the
PerformanceSet performance-management
method in the PortSampleControl attribute. If another application is using
the sampling mecha-nism,
the management application is notified about it via the
PerformanceGetResponse performance-management
method. Once a sample is started, the application waits until the sampling
is completed and
initializes the PerformanceGet method in the PortSampleResult attribute to
get the sampling result."

SNMP expects these counters to be continously counting, not setup prior to
reading. To agravate the problem more, only two counters per port may be
sampled during any given sampling session.

Any ideas on how to implement this MIB given such a situation?

Thanks,

Larry Butler
JNI Corporation
10945 Vista Sorrento Parkway
San Diego, CA 92130
858-523-7149 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 3:36 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ipoverib] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipoib-ibif-mib-03.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP over InfiniBand Working Group of the
IETF.

	Title		: Definitions of Managed Objects for Infiniband 
                          Interface Type
	Author(s)	: B. Anderson, S. Harnedy
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipoib-ibif-mib-03.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 28-Jun-02
	
InfiniBand Architecture (IBA) specifies a high speed, channel
based, switched fabric architecture to deliver scalable
performance in data centers.
This memo defines a portion of Management Information Base (MIB)
for use with network management protocols in TCP/IP-based internets.
In particular, it defines objects for managing IBA defined 
Infiniband interfaces.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipoib-ibif-mib-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipoib-ibif-mib-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipoib-ibif-mib-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

---

From: Larry Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:33:57 -0700

All,

I'd like to share one more observation about the IPoIB Interface MIB from an
implementer's perspective.

Counters (e.g. PortXmitPkts, PortXmitData, etc.) are implemented in the IBA
Silicon because of performance and because RDMA operations are transparent
to kernel mode device drivers.

An ifIndex does not always map one-to-one with a Channel Adapter port
because there may be multiple IB Partitions running over a Channel Adapter
port. Most IBA Silicon does not track statistical counters based upon IB
Partition, rather, they are based upon a physical port.

My point is, the Interface MIB counters are not going to be accurate when
multiple partitions are running over a Channel Adapter port for most IBA
chips as the counters will be counting statistics from a port level view and
not from a partition view.

Larry Butler

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 3:36 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ipoverib] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipoib-ibif-mib-03.txt

	

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type: