Subject: [Ipoverib] AD review comments on draft-ietf-ipoib-dhcp-over-infiniband-02.txt

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:03:41 -0400

Here are my review comments on this document. Most seem pretty much to
be of an the editorial nature. 

>         The client-identifier itself SHOULD not be interpreted by the
>         server. [RFC2132]

remove (upper case) SHOULD. It's not needed here, and *this* document
isn't defining the behavior, its quoting what the require behavior is
from another document. I.e, if this sentence is  really needed, say
something like "RFC 2132 requires that ..."

>     Code  Len   Type  Client-Identifier
>    +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-------------------....----+
>    |  61 | 21  |  32 |Interface-id (4 bytes) |   GID (16 bytes)          |
>    +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-------------------....----+

Whats an interface-id? This terminology seems inconsistent with the
other IPoIB IDs (isn't this the QPN)?

>         A DHCP client on IPoIB SHOULD set a BROADCAST flag in
>         DHCPDISCOVER and DHCPREQUEST messages (and set 'ciaddr' to
>         zero) to ensure that the server (or the relay agent)
>         broadcasts its reply to the client.

s/SHOULD/MUST/ (or else things aren't going to work! Right?)

Need a more meaningful security considerations section that talks
about IPoIB specific issues that arise (above and beyond what we
already know about general DHC issues).

Thomas
_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

---

From: Vivek Kashyap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:21:01 -0700 (PDT)

> something like "RFC 2132 requires that ..."

OK

> other IPoIB IDs (isn't this the QPN)?

Will go over and readdress this. [ It is 4 bytes as against 3 bytes of
QPN.] 

> s/SHOULD/MUST/ (or else things aren't going to work! Right?)

Yes. OK.

> already know about general DHC issues).

OK, will work on the above later this week and send an update.

Vivek

-- 
Vivek Kashyap
Linux Technology Center, IBM
[email-masked] 
[email-masked] 
503 578 3422 (o)
_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

---

From: Vivek Kashyap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:21:01 -0700 (PDT)

OK

Yes. OK.

Vivek