Subject: [Ipoverib] new charter statement

From: "H.K. Jerry Chu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 13:37:46 -0700 (PDT)

The following is the proposed new WG charter statement. Changes are
made to reflect the latest status on various WG documents, and also
to include a new work item. (See Work items 5 below.)

Please take a look at the proposed charter, and send your comments
in before COB Monday 10/28/02 5pm EST. I'd like to submit the new
charter to the IESG for review/approval asap.

Note that among all the new proposals, only the "encapsulation over
IB connected transports" is adopted. The rest are dropped due to
either lack of interest from the WG, or other architectural concerns.

Jerry & Bill,
IPoIB WG co-chairs

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Description of Working Group:

InfiniBand is an emerging standard intended as an interconnect for
processor and I/O systems and devices (see the Infiniband Trade
Association web site at http://www.infinibandta.org for details). IP
is one type of traffic (and a very important one) that could use this
interconnect. InfiniBand would benefit greatly from a standardized
method of handling IP traffic on IB fabrics. It is also important to
be able to manage InfiniBand devices in a common way.

This working group has two tasks:

  - specify the protocols and encapsulations to transport IPv4/v6 over
    an InfiniBand fabric.

  - specify a set of MIB objects to allow management of the InfiniBand
    fabric itself.

The initial scope of the WG was limited to the use of the basic IB
Unreliable Datagram (UD) transport mode for transporting IP over
Infiniband. With that work mostly done, the scope has been extended to
develop an optional mechanism for transporting IP over other IB
transport modes. In particular, there is a desire to transport IP over
one or both of IB's connected modes, which enable the use of a much
larger MTU than the IB link MTU size. They also provide improved
reliability and performance through the use of link level orderly and
reliable delivery, and IB's automatic path migration (APM) feature.

Other more advanced functionalities such as mapping IP QOS into IB-specific
capabilities remain out of scope of the WG charter.
 
Work items
 
1. Specify standards track procedures for transporting IP over
IB. This includes:

  - supporting ARP/ND packets in order to map IP addresses into IB
    link-layer addresses.
  - define encapsulations for carrying ARP, IPv4 and IPv6
    packets over IB
  - Define  how to transport IP multicast over IB. 
 
2. Specify a standards track channel adapter MIB that allows
management of an InfiniBand channel adapter. There will require that
InfiniBand types be added to the ifType defined by IANA
 
3. Specify a standards track baseboard management MIB that will allow
management of specified device properties
 
4. Specify sample counter MIBs to allow InfiniBand sample counters to be
exposed to external SNMP management applications
 
5. Specify an optional, standards track encapsulation for carrying IPv4
and IPv6 packets over either IB unreliable connections or reliable
connections.
 
Goals and Milestones:
 
 Done        Submit initial Internet-Draft of ARP encapsulation
 Done        Submit initial Internet-Draft of Requirements/Overview
 Done        Submit initial Internet-Draft of IP V4/V6 Encapsulation
 NOV 02      Submit initial Internet-Draft of Advanced Encapsulation over
Connected Transports
 Done        Submit initial Internet-Draft of Infiniband-Like MIB
 Done        Submit initial Internet-Draft of Channel Adapter MIB
 Done        Submit initial Internet-Draft of Multicast
 Done        Submit initial Internet-Draft of Baseboard MIB
 MAR 03      Submit initial Internet-Draft of Sample Counter MIB
 Done        Submit initial Internet-Draft of Subnet Mangement MIB
 Done        Submit ARP/IP/Multicast encapsulation drafts for IESG Last
             Call
 MAR 03      Submit Advanced Encapsulation draft for IESG Last Call
 MAR 03      Submit Infiniband-Like MIB for IESG Last Call
 MAR 03      Submit Channel Adapter MIB for IESG Last Call
 
Internet-Drafts:
 
Definitions of Managed Objects for Infiniband Interface Type (63237 bytes)
Definition of Managed Objects for the Infiniband Subnet Management Agent
(SMA) (130205 bytes)
Definition of Textual Conventions and OBJECT-IDENTITIES for IP Over
InfiniBand (IPOVERIB) Management (23269 bytes)
IP link and multicast over InfiniBand networks (27638 bytes)
IP encapsulation and address resolution over InfiniBand networks (27997
bytes)
DHCP over InfiniBand (12532 bytes)
Definitions of Managed Objects for Infiniband Channel Adapters (CA) (40642
bytes)
Definitions of Managed Objects for the Infiniband Baseboard Management Agent
(BMA) (82455 bytes)
 
No Request For Comments

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:25:15 -0500

> to include a new work item. (See Work items 5 below.)

The IESG reviewed the revised charter and was basically OK with
it. One discussion point was about possible interactions between
reliability at the IB layer and at higher layers (e.g., TCP).  For the

> reliable delivery, and IB's automatic path migration (APM) feature.

The IESG asked that the following sentence be added:

     However, care must be taken to ensure that use of an IB reliable
     transport does not unduly interfere with the retransmission and
     congestion control mechanisms used by higher layers (e.g., TCP
     and SCTP).

Assuming that this is OK, the new charter will be approved.

Thomas

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:25:15 -0500

Thomas