Subject: [Ipoverib] AD review of IPoIB specs

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:03:21 -0400

In response to the WG's request to advance the following documents, I
have completed my preliminary review of the following documents:

     draft-ietf-ipoib-dhcp-over-infiniband-02.txt
     draft-ietf-ipoib-link-multicast-02.txt
     draft-ietf-ipoib-ip-over-infiniband-01.txt

General questions/comments.

I think it would be preferable to merge the following two documents into
a single document:

     draft-ietf-ipoib-link-multicast-02.txt
     draft-ietf-ipoib-ip-over-infiniband-01.txt

One can't implement the second without the first, since it makes use
of the multicast stuff. There is also very little text in the
multicast document that is needed to describe the implementation
requirements. Given the overall length of the two documents (both
under 15 pages) I don't see keeping them separate to be particularly
important.

There is also a fair amount of background/info text in the multicast
document that doesn't need to be part of the spec. I think the
information is useful to have (as background), but some of it also
talks about possible implementation choices for IPoIB, which doesn't
make so much sense now that those choices have been made.

Then, there is the expired document:

      draft-ietf-ipoib-architecture-01.txt

Has the WG decided to just drop that document? I ask because it seems
like much of the background info in the above documents above might
better be in a general architecture/background document (unless that
document has been dropped completely). But having some
background/overview info seems useful, since I gather  there is no
such similar document available via IBTA.

Specific comments on the various documents will go out in separate
messages.

Thomas
_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

---

From: Vivek Kashyap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:38:53 -0700 (PDT)

> such similar document available via IBTA.

No it is not dropped. The IBTA is to announce the latest specification
soon (Nov 1 as far as I know). I am awaiting its publication before
submitting the -02.txt version since IBTA rules do not allow me to
describe the details before that.

Vivek

-- 
Vivek Kashyap
Linux Technology Center, IBM
[email-masked] 
[email-masked] 
503 578 3422 (o)
_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

---

From: Vivek Kashyap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:38:53 -0700 (PDT)

Vivek