Subject: [Ipoverib] Moderation of the IPoIB mailing list

From: "Bill Strahm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 18:28:10 -0800

There has been a long thread in the ietf mailing list about
mismanagement of another IETF list.

I would like to take an opportunity to discuss how the IPoIB mailing
list is moderated, ask for feedback and suggest to people that might be
having problems who to contact.

This list is an open list that is being managed according to IETF
policy.  The only limitation on sending a message to the list is that
you must be a subscriber.  If you are not a subscriber, then your mail
is held for moderation by either Jerry or I (which ever one of us gets
to it first).  To tell you the truth 95+% of the messages being held are
blatant spam, so they are silently discarded so none of you have to read
their wonderful offers (no I don't think it will hurt any of your
companies business either).  The other requirement is that the list will
hold for moderation exceedingly long messages, this limit is currently
80 Kbytes.  The expectation is that if you have anything longer than
this, you can post it somewhere on the internet and post an URL to the
list.

If someone posts a message that needs to be sent on to the list I will
approve it for the list, and behind the scenes ask the poster to either
join the list, or to join the list with a "NO-MAIL" option.  The main
subscribers to NO-MAIL are people with alternative e-mails, the IETF
functionaries (the draft editor, the IESG, etc.).

If anyone has problems with a posting that they feel should have gone
through but didn't, feel free to contact Jerry or I by e-mail, it is
most likely a mistake on our part (In the process of discarding the 20
spams we got yours too), and we will do what we can to get your message
forwarded to the list.  Also if you feel that there is an ongoing
problem and you don't feel comfortable talking to Jerry or I, you may
contact Thomas Narten, our Area Director for assistance.  You can find
Thomas's contact information on the IETF web page.

I am publishing this so that there are no fights that end up on the IETF
mailing list, I hope we continue to be a happy working group.

Bill Strahm

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib