Subject: [Ipoverib] ifPhysAddress question

From: Kanoj Sarcar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:51:19 -0800

Hi,

I have a question on the I/D

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipoib-ibif-mib-04.txt

section 2.2.5 on ifPhysAddress.

Why is the ifPhysAddress being chosen to be the 16 bit LID, when
it might very well be the mac address as proposed section 6.1.1
in the I/D

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipoib-ip-over-infiniband-01.txt

I would think redefining the ifPhysAddress to be the mac address
for HCAs (with switches special cased as required) will be more 
useful, in the sense that sysadmins would be able to match output 
from "arp" commands with output from snmp information. Otherwise, 
it seems to me that a special command will need to be used to 
establish the correspondence between SNMP information and arp 
command output. 

Thanks.

Kanoj
_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib