Subject: [Ipoverib] IPoIB/ifconfig question

From: Kanoj Sarcar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:34:30 -0800

Hi,

Here's an IPoIB implementation issue that I would
like to get feedback on from implementors. 

What should the ifconfig/arp/packet-sniffer output look like for 
the mac address part of an IPoIB interface? In the examples below, 
assume QPN=0x14, GID prefix is FE80::0 and GID suffix is 
0002c900011c9781, so that the mac address in hex is 
14FE800000000000000002c900011c9781.

Some options might be

1. 00:00:00:14:FE:80:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:02:c9:00:01:1c:97:81
(or 0:0:0:14:FE:80:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:2:c9:0:1:1c:97:81)
2. 0:14:FE80:0000:0000:0000:0002:c900:011c:9781
(or 0:14:FE80:0:0:0:2:c900:011c:9781)
3: 0:14:FE80::2:c900:011c:9781

I understand this is probably not something that should be
put into any of the I/Ds, but it would be nice if various
vendors' outputs matched. My choice is option 1, since it
is the closest to how most systems represent ethernet
addresses (except the length of course). Most systems'
"arp" command is also easily converted to handle this 
format and obviates the need for complicated parsing.

Note that the I/D 

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipoib-link-multicast-02.txt

on page 8 section 8.0 represents IBA multicast GIDs in v6 
format, I am not sure whether to suggest that the link layer 
address should also be represented similarly by network tools.

For reference, here's the ifconfig output line that prints 
mac addresses on Solaris and Linux:
Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:06:5B:4E:E4:6E
ether 8:0:20:d9:4:97

Thanks.

Kanoj
_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib