Subject: [Ipoverib] DHCP Client-identifier option for DHCPOFFER

From: "Tillier, Fabian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:08:51 -0500

Hello all,

RFC2131, Section 4.3.1, Table 3 indicates that the client identifier
option "MUST NOT" be used in DHCPOFFER messages sent by the server.
Since the DHCPDISCOVER message must have the broadcast flag set, the
DHCPOFFER message will be broadcast back.  How do recipients of
DHCPOFFER tell if they are the intended target?

Thank you,

Fabian

---

From: Chanan Shamir <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:33:53 -0800

Hello Fabian,
 
From RFC 2131 Section 4.1:
The 'xid' field is used by the client to match incoming DHCP messages
   with pending requests.  A DHCP client MUST choose 'xid's in such a
   way as to minimize the chance of using an 'xid' identical to one used
   by another client.

Chanan

-----Original Message-----
From: Tillier, Fabian [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 3:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ipoverib] DHCP Client-identifier option for DHCPOFFER

Hello all,

RFC2131, Section 4.3.1, Table 3 indicates that the client identifier option
"MUST NOT" be used in DHCPOFFER messages sent by the server.  Since the
DHCPDISCOVER message must have the broadcast flag set, the DHCPOFFER message
will be broadcast back.  How do recipients of DHCPOFFER tell if they are the
intended target?

Thank you,

Fabian