Subject: [Ipoverib] Please read - proposed WG termination

From: "H.K. Jerry Chu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:37:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

With the DHCP over IB draft in IESG's hand, we are done with all
the basic IPoIB work, including the architecture (informational),
encapsulation, and DHCP (standard tracked). Now seems a good time
to decide the next step for the WG.

The work on IPoIB connected mode and most of the MIB drafts started
a while back (2003/2002). Over the years the interest/participation
level on these work has not been high, and now the work seems to drag
on indefinitely. The AD has recently questioned whether the remaining
work should be continued or not.

The following is a quick update on their status:

1. IPoIB connected mode
draft-ietf-ipoib-connected-mode-00.txt
updated recently

2. MIB drafts
IPoIB Textual Conventions MIB
draft-ietf-ipoib-ibmib-tc-mib-06.txt

IPoIB InfiniBand Interfaces MIB
draft-ietf-ipoib-ibif-mib-07.txt

IPoIB subnet Management Agent MIB
draft-ietf-ipoib-subnet-mgmt-agent-mib-07.txt

IPoIB Channel Adapter MIB
draft-ietf-ipoib-channel-adapter-mib-06.txt

IPoIB Baseboard Management Agent MIB
draft-ietf-ipoib-baseboard-mgmt-agent-mib-02.txt

IPoIB performance Management Agent MIB
draft-ietf-ipoib-perf-mgmt-agent-mib-03.txt

The above 6 MIB drafts have gone through the
MIB doctor (Randy Presuhn) review late 2003 and
updated accordingly. All the updated drafts expired
in April 2005.

3. IPoIB Subnet Manager MIB
draft-ietf-ipoib-subnet-manager-mib-00.txt

Submitted 3/2004 but has expired too.

If you want to see any of the above work continue in the WG,
AND is willing to participate to get the work completed, please
speak up NOW! You will have until Sep. 20 to do so. After
that unless there is evidence a "sufficient" interest level
on any of the work above still exists, the WG will be disbanded
(or become dormant in order to handle the on-going work on
the standard-tracked RFCs) and the unfinished work abandoned.

Note that authors of the above drafts may choose to resubmit
their drafts as individual submissions if they want to continue
to pursue their work at IETF.

Thank you!

Jerry & Bill

IPoIB co-chairs

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

---

From: Michael Krause <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:48:38 -0700

Given the emphasis of IP over IB was one of connectivity / integration into 
the data center's IP infrastructure, I think the main objectives ot the 
workgroup have been met.  There are open, interoperable IP over IB 
implementations in the market today.  While the other work is a 
nice-to-have, it is far from critical.  I have no problems with seeing this 
workgroup shut down.

Mike

---

From: Vivek Kashyap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:39:11 -0700 (PDT)

> draft-ietf-ipoib-connected-mode-00.txt

Well, in recent days there has been a discussion going on based on Dror's
input. I also made some updates after some discussion on OpenIB (not on 
IETF though).  This draft itself became a working group draft this february 
after some lively discussion just before that.  It appears to me that we 
should be possible to finalise this draft soon enough.

20th sept. might be long enough to know one way or the other...

vivek