Subject: [Ipoverib] P_Key membership bit

From: Roland Dreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 10:27:49 -0700

What is the intention of the language

        1. P_Key
            A "Full Membership" P_Key (high-order bit is set to 1) MUST
            be used so that all members may communicate with one
            another.

in ietf-ipoib-ip-over-infiniband-09.txt?  Let's say that a node has a
P_Key table programmed with P_Key 0x0001 (ie the full membership bit
is _not_ set).  Is the intention that the node should not be able to
join an IPoIB link with that P_Key, or does the node just have to make
sure it joins the broadcast group corresponding to P_Key 0x8001 (with
the full membership bit set)?

Thanks,
  Roland

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

---

From: Dror Goldenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 22:40:02 +0300

> From: Roland Dreier [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:28 PM
> 

I belive that this one comes from the IB spec. The MCMemberRecord
requires that all members of a MC group have full membership (see table
210 chap 15.2.5.17 p.909):

  Partition key for this multicast group. This partition key shall indicate
full
  membership (see 10.9.1.1 Limited and Full Membership on page 524). All
  members of the multicast group shall have full membership in the partition
  indicated by this partition key.

-Dror