Subject: RE: Ecosystems cost of additional specs (RE: [Ipoverib] Please re ad - proposed WG termination)

From: "H.K. Jerry Chu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:49:13 -0700 (PDT)

...
<snip>

>In any case, I think the debate has played itself out and the virtual hum 
>says to proceed.

Actually a similar debate and virtual hum already happened a couple of
years ago, before the proposal was accepted as a work item for the WG.
So the debate in the past couple of weeks, although interesting and may
even be educational for the late comers, is mostly moot.

The decision facing the working group now is to either have enough
people committed to reviewing and producing a high quality standard,
or have the WG disbanded. We will have to decide soon.

Jerry

>So, I'll go quiet unless someone has a specific issue or 
>wants to continue the debate for some other reason.  Mark me down as not 
>supporting the hum which is likely just me in this regard.
>
>Mike 

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib

---

From: Vivek Kashyap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:55:56 -0700 (PDT)

> years ago, before the proposal was accepted as a work item for the WG.

There have been other, more recent, agreements/hums too. The connected mode 
draft became a working group draft late last year/early this year.

> even be educational for the late comers, is mostly moot.

Wasn't the query whether the wg should continue and if there was interest 
in the specification? Why would that make the 'virtual hum' now moot?

> or have the WG disbanded. We will have to decide soon.

I thought the discussion over the last few days was answering the question
of WG continuance.  In any case, I'm committed to continuing to work on the 
draft and bringing it to publication.

Vivek

---

From: Bernard King-Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:35:41 -0400

> or have the WG disbanded. We will have to decide soon.

I think that there were quite a few people who spoke up over the past few
weeks, so it is a matter of finishing up the draft that Vivek sent out.
This is not a matter for working on a document from scratch, but finishing
up the work already done. I can work with Vivek, so if a few of the others
can spend a small amount of time we could finish this up.

After that we could look at WG termination.

> >supporting the hum which is likely just me in this regard.

Bernie King-Smith
IBM Corporation
Server Group
Cluster System Performance
[email-masked]    (845)433-8483
Tie. 293-8483 or wombat2 on NOTES

"We are not responsible for the world we are born into, only for the world
we leave when we die.
So we have to accept what has gone before us and work to change the only
thing we can,
-- The Future." William Shatner